Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Why couldn't Cut travel for the announcement party (or was the reason not announced)?
    Since it was on Monday, Dec 10th, my guess is that it was weather related travel from RDU.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post
    The Blue Devils had be ready because that guy will have Temple fired up even if he is only head coach for one game. His talk almost got me to volunteer to play for Temple!
    You must've misunderstood my point. I know he was all rah rah fired up in his presser. At that time, he probably thought he'd have a shot at the head job. I certainly bet he didn't think a coaching decision would be made this soon. There's a new guy now...in the mix...and even if he's not involved in bowl prep, he'll probably be talking to existing assistants and so on through the process. This throws a new dynamic into it.

If you're going to make the case that the Temple interim coach's enthusiasm is a good intangible for Temple - and I agree it could be - then you have to recognize another intangible - the potential impact of this announcement now. I think dynamic B mitigates dynamic A to an extent.

That said of course Duke needs to be ready. We saw last time out what "not ready" looks like....

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Why couldn't Cut travel for the announcement party (or was the reason not announced)?
    Unspecified lower body injury, cone of silence...

(kidding)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Since it was on Monday, Dec 10th, my guess is that it was weather related travel from RDU.
    Duh...reminds me of when I wondered why a client in Houston was having server issues and hadn't responded to get the problem fixed only to realize much later that their server was probably underwater (during Harvey).

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Unspecified lower body injury, cone of silence...

(kidding)
    ha, now that's funny.

Early weather forecast for Shreveport 12/27

Thu DEC 27 Showers
    57°44°
    Cloudy with occasional rain showers. High 57F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    You must've misunderstood my point. I know he was all rah rah fired up in his presser. At that time, he probably thought he'd have a shot at the head job. I certainly bet he didn't think a coaching decision would be made this soon. There's a new guy now...in the mix...and even if he's not involved in bowl prep, he'll probably be talking to existing assistants and so on through the process. This throws a new dynamic into it.

If you're going to make the case that the Temple interim coach's enthusiasm is a good intangible for Temple - and I agree it could be - then you have to recognize another intangible - the potential impact of this announcement now. I think dynamic B mitigates dynamic A to an extent.

That said of course Duke needs to be ready. We saw last time out what "not ready" looks like...
    I wasn’t making any comment about your post. Just saying this guy gave a great talk and I think he will have his team all fired up even though somebody else got the permanent job. .

Temple scores a lot of points
    We give up a lot of points...
    Is Temple better than Wake Forest?????

GoDuke (the magazine) bowl issue: https://indd.adobe.com/view/1d9109d2...0-9d350e3b86d9

Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    Per the SRS, yes. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...8-ratings.html

Temple now #48, and Duke #49 (and WFU #69). Temple and Duke flipped spots since 12/2 ... maybe Temple opponent Navy sticking with Army caused that flip?

On the individual OSRS and DSRS numbers, it looks like the strongest units in the bowl game are, in order:

Duke's defense
    Temple's offense
    Temple's defense
    Duke's offense

If our D is as healthy as can be -- BH and JGH flying around -- that would help. Would love for our D to be the strongest unit on the field that day.
    If our O can do more than the 6.5 ppg it put up on average the last two weeks, that would help. I hope we see some QH packages.
    I'm scared of getting crushed in the kicking games -- Temple has a good return man.
    Last edited by Reilly; 12-14-2018 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    Temple does score a lot of points. And Duke gave up a lot, but there's a chance Duke's D is much healthier than it's been since early season, when they did not give up a lot of points. I don't think there's much chance we put the defense on the field that shut down NW....but I think Duke will put a better D on the field than late season.

And yes, I'd say Temple is better than WF. That said, I'm not sure Temple will play as well in the bowl game as WF did against Duke. And I am pretty confident Duke won't play anything like they did against WF.

Mardi Gras preview parade route: http://independencebowl.org/bowl-week-events/

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Mardi Gras preview parade route: http://independencebowl.org/bowl-week-events/
    Looks to be quite the soirée.

GoDuke.com has an article up discussing young leaders Deon Jackson and Leonard Johnson:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Deon Jackson and Leonard Johnson are just two examples of young leadership on the 2018 Duke football team. The classmates are in their second years at Duke, Jackson as a true sophomore and Johnson as a redshirt freshman. Both have played enormous roles this season, and with Duke’s appearance in the Walk-On’s Independence Bowl quickly approaching, their coaches will look for them to lead one final time this season.
    Bob Green

Nice GoDuke article on our senior captain Ben Humphreys. I'm really going to miss this guy and his family!
    http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Great photo from last year's bowl, courtesy of USA Today:

1cutcliff.jpg

http://www.tiebreaker.com/most-perfe...d-65dfda30a866

The Independence Bowl digital guide is now available at GoDuke.com:

https://adobeindd.com/view/publicati...DukeBowl18.pdf
    Bob Green

Sadly, this will be the first Duke bowl game I have missed since Texas Tech in ‘89. But I will get a tattoo anyway to join in spirit. Pictures to be posted on game day.

(NephewPK and his dad NCBro-in-lawPK will be there, both of whom are regulars at home games and are the truly dedicated ones. My fandom pales in comparison to them both).

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Sadly, this will be the first zduke bowl game I have missed since Texas Tech in ‘89. But I will get a tattoo anyway to join in spirit. Pictures to be posted on game day.
    Rolling with the Tide, are you? If so, you'll be with some of our cousins.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Sadly, this will be the first Duke bowl game I have missed since Texas Tech in ‘89 ...
    I'm sure you drummed your manicured nails somewhat thoughtfully on the granite counter in your chef's kitchen contemplating whether you might go, before a slow smile creeped across you face when you realized nothing says "effete coastal disdain" like totally skipping the bowl. Not even bothering to show up -- brilliant! And all I am planning to do is squint and shake my head quickly "no" if some Shreveporter (Shreveportian?) tries to shake my hand.