Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimSlowSlider View Post
    CBSSports has the Independence Bowl at #14 ...
    They say this: "there's potential for it to get loose" ... I thought OPK was skipping the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    They say this: "there's potential for it to get loose" ... I thought OPK was skipping the game?
    “You must spread some Comments around before commenting on Reilly again.”

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    So, I go on GoDuke to buy a ticket. $50 for mid-field chairback seats. Not bad. $25 for “processing fee”. Geez, Ticketmaster doesn’t charge that much. (It’s per order. But when you’re just buying one, that’s a 50% up charge.)

1998 Independence Bowl -- Cut's greatest victory?

This year's Independence Bowl marks 20 years since Cut's first victory as a head coach, and one of his finest victories ever. Tuberville left Ole Miss for Auburn at the end of the regular season, Cut was hired December 2, and he got Ole Miss prepared in 26 days and they beat Spyke Dykes's Texas Tech team: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Independence_Bowl

Just crazy, to swoop in (in December) to a new team that just lost its coach and get it prepped and win a bowl game against a quality opponent (TTU ended #34 in the SRS that year; Ole Miss #51).

#2 Clemson/#5 ND

#22 Syr/#11 WVU

#29 Mia/#42 Wisconsin

#33 NCSU/#19 TXAM

#41 Pitt/#32 Stanford

#44 UVA/#24 South Carolina

#46 BC/#28 Boise St

#47 GT/#53 Minn

#48 Duke/#49 Temple

#69 WFU/#51 Memphis

#79 VT/#31 Cincy

Bold = ACC team higher than opponent in SRS: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...8-ratings.html
    Of ACC bowl opponents, only Memphis and Minnesota ranked lower than Temple.

Point spreads of ACC games, in order:

Clemson -11.5
    GT -3.5
    Miami -3
    ===========
    BC +2.5
    Wake +4.5
    Duke +6
    UVA +6
    Pitt +6.5
    NCSU +7
    VT +7
    Syr +7

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...s-odds-spreads

Duke appears to be the best value bet of the ACC teams -- ranked higher than its opponent in the SRS, yet getting points. Every other ACC team follows the traditional path (ranked higher/giving points ... or ranked lower/getting points).

only trouble with our rating there (Sagarin has us as the lesser team by approx. 3 pts I believe) is that Temple is clearly a team on the rise, and we are not. We get a lot of justifiable credit for
    wins like NW, but that was then.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ... Temple is clearly a team on the rise, and we are not ...
    True. That said, if JGH, BH, and BB are all 100%, I like Duke's chances.

only trouble with our rating there (Sagarin has us as the lesser team by approx. 3 pts I believe) is that Temple is clearly a team on the rise, and we are not. We get a lot of justifiable credit for
    I agree with your point of who's on the rise, who is not...BUT:
    In a month, that could all be different. Temple might have gone stale, we might have rallied on the injury front. Or maybe Temple will lose their coach before then. LOT can change between now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    ... In a month ...
    Month? We got 22 days and change. And we have to spend some of that time shopping and baking for Devilwin's birthday.

Month? We got 22 days and change. And we have to spend some of that time shopping and baking for Devilwin's birthday.
    And, even then, our FedEx delivery *might* be late .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I completely agree with Reilly and HereBefore...IF (big if) we get all our guys back, Cut has shown that he prepares for bowls very well.
    Teams have learned to defend us by only rushing the bare minimum of guys (often three), dropping the rest into coverage. A hobbled Jones couldn't take advantage of that vs Wake.
    I suspect Jones and Humphreys will be back, have no notion of JGH...

A month from the last game. Almost exactly. Shop online for Devilwin....

I completely agree with Reilly and HereBefore...IF (big if) we get all our guys back, Cut has shown that he prepares for bowls very well.
    Teams have learned to defend us by only rushing the bare minimum of guys (often three), dropping the rest into coverage. A hobbled Jones couldn't take advantage of that vs Wake.
    I suspect Jones and Humphreys will be back, have no notion of JGH...
    Thought JGH had MCL tear. No surgery and typically 3-4 weeks before playing again (at least that’s been common with HS players). If the injury was just the MCL, would think he’d play in the bowl game unless he’s sitting out for draft reasons.

We also dropped 20? 30? spots when we lost to Wake. A model that puts that much weight on a potential outlier is prone to error. The biggest question is how we respond with a month off.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    We also dropped 20? 30? spots when we lost to Wake. A model that puts that much weight on a potential outlier is prone to error. The biggest question is how we respond with a month off.
    I think we dropped from 42 to 60 in Sagariin. Maybe from 40 to 49 in SRS. Which (if either) is too much in your estimation?

It was a goggle-adjusting loss (worst in 11 years at Duke for Cut; Wake is no world-beater).

Any info on team hotel? Sorry if posted and I missed it.

Steve Wiseman's very thorough update this AM in the News and Observer:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...222612715.html

Encouraging news about JGH and BH:

"Both said Tuesday they are recovering and hoping to play in the Independence Bowl."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Steve Wiseman's very thorough update this AM in the News and Observer:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...222612715.html

Encouraging news about JGH and BH:

"Both said Tuesday they are recovering and hoping to play in the Independence Bowl."
    That’s great news and I think “hoping to” means the same as “will”. If I were gambling, that news would change the line by a TD.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Thought JGH had MCL tear. No surgery and typically 3-4 weeks before playing again (at least that’s been common with HS players). If the injury was just the MCL, would think he’d play in the bowl game unless he’s sitting out for draft reasons.
    you'll never get much info out of Cut on injuries, but Mr. Wiseman reports it's a sprain, not a tear.
    He also mentions none of the lads will sit out for draft reasons.