Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    ... Alabama ...
    So how many RVs will be going from Alabama to Miami to Santa Clara over a 10-day period ... only 44 hours by car from Miami to Santa Clara ...

I saw Independence Bowl tix for $15 face ... guess the national championship will be about the same give or take a few zeros ...

Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post
    Generally, but you never know:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=40h2f-gzTvE
    I hear House G has a nice yard where you can all park your RVs and trailers and feel free to use his garden hose for showers.

He's a true Southern gentleman, he is.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    So how many RVs will be going from Alabama to Miami to Santa Clara over a 10-day period ... only 44 hours by car from Miami to Santa Clara ...

I saw Independence Bowl tix for $15 face ... guess the national championship will be about the same give or take a few zeros ...
    Yeah, the price is . . . Higher.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I hear House G has a nice yard where you can all park your RVs and trailers and feel free to use his garden hose for showers.

He's a true Southern gentleman, he is.
    Weezie, nice to see you’re up and at em this morning. As a Duke alum who was born and and raised and still lives in Shreveport, I am certainly available to offer assistance to anyone coming here for the I-Bowl. I am working on a post about Shreveport and our Bowl and hope to have it up later today. I understand that there may not be a great influx of folks to Shreveport right after Christmas to watch our team that got its ears pinned back against Wake. But I would love to have the opportunity to meet and hangout with anyone from the DBR community who can make the trip. I have never been to a college bowl game (aside from the I-Bowl) but I have been to a handful of Final Fours. I too would like to know where the team is staying (I’m guessing the Hilton downtown). I got an email yesterday about the pregame party near the stadium. Is there any kind of gathering or party the evening before the game?

I might be torn

Well, as a Temple alum and Duke fan, this should be interesting...

Bill Cosby is probably the most famous, now infamous, Temple alum. Believe he ran track. You are now set up for some comments.

Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post
    ... Is there any kind of gathering or party the evening before the game?
    Events here: http://independencebowl.org/events-2/

Pub crawl, Battle of the (School) Bands, and a country music group performing -- all in the Red River District the night before the game ...

Duke announced a 10-12 pm day of game tailgate ($45 for adult).

Quote Originally Posted by NYBri View Post
    Bill Cosby is probably the most famous, now infamous, Temple alum. Believe he ran track. You are now set up for some comments.
    I'll stick to the benign...and just mention that I believe he had to wear some Duke gear on "Cosby" as a result of a lost bet regarding a Temple-Duke game...I would imagine there are people here who can recount every detail of this.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I'll stick to the benign...and just mention that I believe he had to wear some Duke gear on "Cosby" as a result of a lost bet regarding a Temple-Duke game...
    Yup. Billy King shutting down Mark Macon was one of K's first big tournament upsets.

Yup. Billy King shutting down Mark Macon was one of K's first big tournament upsets.
    Oh wow, I didn't realize it was that game...that was an UGLY UGLY game....but sent us to K's second FF - and first one after the 86 team? I don't think Macon was ever the same again....

Quote Originally Posted by NYBri View Post
    Jel-lo pud-ding

Clap, clap, clap/clap/clap.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I'll stick to the benign...and just mention that I believe he had to wear some Duke gear on "Cosby" as a result of a lost bet regarding a Temple-Duke game...I would imagine there are people here who can recount every detail of this.
    Oh wow, I didn't realize it was that game...that was an UGLY UGLY game...but sent us to K's second FF - and first one after the 86 team? I don't think Macon was ever the same again...
    Unless Temple visited Duke at CIS many years ago with Cos in attendance. I'm *thinking* that was the jel-lo pud-ding chant origin that I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Unless Temple visited Duke at CIS many years ago with Cos in attendance. I'm *thinking* that was the jel-lo pud-ding chant origin that I remember.
    Correct. February, 1994. It might have been Grant Hill's jersey retirement ceremony. Cosby enjoyed hamming it up with the crowd. Not nearly as meaningful of a game as the Mark Macon one but still a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Correct. February, 1994. It might have been Grant Hill's jersey retirement ceremony. Cosby enjoyed hamming it up with the crowd. Not nearly as meaningful of a game as the Mark Macon one but still a lot of fun.
    Hey, hey hey! Thanks for the clarification!

Quote Originally Posted by Philsfan View Post
    Well, as a Temple alum and Duke fan, this should be interesting...
    Thought for a while with some of the prognostications about who Duke might be playing that I was reading here yesterday afternoon, I was going to be the one with that problem instead of you.

December 3: today
    December 4
    December 5
    December 6
    December 7: Duke undergraduate classes end
    December 8: Duke reading period
    December 9: Duke reading period
    December 10: Team announcement party, Shreveport; Duke reading period
    December 11: Duke reading period
    December 12: Duke exams begin
    December 13:
    December 14:
    December 15:
    December 16:
    December 17: Duke exams end
    December 18:
    December 19:
    December 20:
    December 21:
    December 22:
    December 23: bowl week event - game show, so team in Shreveport
    December 24:
    December 25: Christmas Day
    December 26:
    December 27: 12:30 pm local time/1:30 pm EST game

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    December 3: today
    December 4
    December 5
    December 6
    December 7: Duke undergraduate classes end
    December 8: Duke reading period
    December 9: Duke reading period
    December 10: Team announcement party, Shreveport; Duke reading period
    December 11: Duke reading period
    December 12: Duke exams begin
    December 13:
    December 14:
    December 15:
    December 16:
    December 17: Duke exams end
    December 18:
    December 19:
    December 20:
    December 21:
    December 22:
    December 23: bowl week event - game show, so team in Shreveport
    December 24:
    December 25: Christmas Day
    December 26:
    December 27: 12:30 pm local time/1:30 pm EST game
    You forgot one..December 26th, my birthday!

These folks consider this game to be #25 on the bowl scale this year:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaa...b7Kz&ocid=iehp

"Daniel Jones is an NFL QB prospect for Duke, a team that was outscored 94-13 in its final two games. David Cutcliffe will have his guys ready to finish the season out on a much higher note. Geoff Collins has been a smooth transition from the days of Matt Rhule for Temple. The Owls shook off an 0-2 start to win eight of its final 10. Those two losses came to UCF and Boston College, both on the road."

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    These folks consider this game to be #25 on the bowl scale this year:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaa...b7Kz&ocid=iehp
    CBSSports has the Independence Bowl at #14. https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...e-orange-bowl/

They have the First Responder Bowl at #6. My colleague, a BC grad, suspects the author must be a BC alum.

Maybe a milk stout, it can double as ointment.

DaughterPk’s school is in the playoffs, gotta choose between our bowl or gambling on making the Natty game with her the next week. Oddly, I would miss more work doing our game than hers. I hate to miss our bowl game, but since we are going to whoop Alabama to start next season I figure I may should go root for them to end this season.

Nothing easy in this world.
    You know you're going to face this question for four years unless your daughter also goes to graduate school in Tuscaloosa which will extend the duration of this dilemma.