Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    All the talk is that Fields is looking at FSU, Oklahoma, and Ohio State. He wants a big-time football program and a shot at the Heisman/National Title. He's going to try to be immediately eligible, claiming that some racist taunts thrown at him by some silly Georgia fans have made it hard for him to come back to school there. Word is he has a shot at getting a waiver from the NCAA (though everyone knows this is just an eligibility ploy). If he is unable to get the waiver, it is possible he just stays at Georgia, spends another year as Jake Fromm's backup (playing here and there in blow outs or in special situations) and then takes over as the starting QB in 2 years (which is what would happen if he went somewhere else and had to sit a season).
    I think it was a Georgia baseball player who made the comments and was kicked off the team because of it. I'm a UGA fan and would have no hard feelings towards Fields if he transferred but using that incident as a way to play right away rings hollow with his little sister committed to play softball at Georgia next year. To further complicate Fields' decision, at this point it's not a sure thing that Jake Fromm enters the draft next year.

Apologies for the thread hijack but I find the big time QB recruit transfer/not transfer situations happening around college football fascinating. Fields committed to Georgia when both Jacob Eason (the #2 pro style QB, just behind Shea Patterson, and #5 overall) and Jake Fromm (#3 pro style QB) were already on the roster. Trevor Lawrence takes his job away from a guy who had Clemson in the playoff. Then there's the Jalen Hurts/Tua Tagovailoa made for the movies story. I love both the confidence of the guys that come to schools knowing they have a great QB in front of them that they have to beat out to win the job and the humility and unselfishness displayed by some who lose their job. I was highly impressed by both Jacob Eason and Jalen Hurts last year in how they handled being replaced. It gave me two great examples to use when talking to the players I coach about playing your role to the best of your ability no matter what that role is.

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    I think it was a Georgia baseball player who made the comments and was kicked off the team because of it.
    Correct on all counts.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    With the bowl win, Cutcliffe is now just 4 games from .500 at Duke. 67-72. (3-3 in bowls)
    At many schools, being sub .500 in 11 seasons would be nothing to brag about, but I can't imagine any Duke fan not being proud about what we've watched that man do.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...tcliffe-1.html
    Especially when you consider that he is 52-39 with 6 bowls (and 3 bowl victories) in the past 7 seasons. I think it’s fair to say that he’s established a “new normal” for Duke Football that few - if any - thought possible a decade or so ago.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Especially when you consider that he is 52-39 with 6 bowls (and 3 bowl victories) in the past 7 seasons. I think it’s fair to say that he’s established a “new normal” for Duke Football that few - if any - thought possible a decade or so ago.
    And a division championship to boot.

Cut has been the perfect fit for Duke, and I would like to think that Duke has been the perfect fit for Cut at this point in his career.

With the bowl win, Cutcliffe is now just 4 games from .500 at Duke. 67-72. (3-3 in bowls)

Not a math major, I gather.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Cut has been the perfect fit for Duke, and I would like to think that Duke has been the perfect fit for Cut at this point in his career.
    Truer words and all that.

At many schools, being sub .500 in 11 seasons would be nothing to brag about, but I can't imagine any Duke fan not being proud about what we've watched that man do.

I for one will be celebrating (a toast or two just might be involved) when Cut/Duke get the win to put him over .500 coaching at Duke. That will be a magical day for one David Cutcliffe, what he's accomplished, and what he means to this program. Overlooking his football acumen for a moment, contrast and compare his public persona with some other well known coaches. I remain tickled pink that he represents Duke and the football program. It goes without saying that these are great times to be a Duke football as well as basketball fan.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    You know, I noticed that also but just couldn't bring myself to point it out to ol' CB&B!

Like me, CB&B is already counting the Alabama game as a win.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    I have zero problems with the QH to DJ to QH play, and my being OK with it has nothing to do with it being payback for Temple's thuggishness.

It was a three-score game (22 points) with nearly a whole quarter of football left. If we had thrown such a pass with a 3-score lead and 3 or 4 minutes remaining, a different feeling. We were playing to win the game, and to my mind the door wasn't shut yet.

TEMPLE drive start at 14:55.

1-10 TEM 25 RUSSO,Anthony slant pass complete to BRYANT,Ventell for 8 yards to the TEM33 (Young IV,
    L;Hill, B).
    2-2 TEM 33 RUSSO,Anthony slant pass complete to JONES,Randle for 4 yards to the TEM37, 1ST DOWN TEM P18
    (Blackwell, J).
    1-10 TEM 37 RUSSO,Anthony sacked for loss of 10 yards to the TEM27 (Dimukeje, V).
    2-20 TEM 27 RUSSO,Anthony crossing pass incomplete to JONES,Randle (Blackwell, J).
    3-20 TEM 27 RUSSO,Anthony pass incomplete to MACK,Branden.
    4-20 TEM 27 BOWLER,Connor punt 30 yards to the DU43, Rahming, T.J. return 14 yards to the TEM43
    (WINSTON,DaeSean).
    5 plays, 2 yards, 1:43

DUKE drive start at 13:12.
    1-10 TEM 43 Jones, D slant pass complete to Harris, Q for 24 yards to the TEM19, 1ST DOWN DU P20
    (CRUMP,Linwood).

1-10 TEM 19 Durant, M rush over right end for 1 yard to the TEM18 (GRAHAM-MOBLEY,I;BRADLEY,Shaun).
    2-9 TEM 18 Jones, D rush up middle for 5 yards to the TEM13 (GRAHAM-MOBLEY,I).
    3-4 TEM 13 Durant, M rush over right end for 5 yards to the TEM8, 1ST DOWN DU (BRADLEY,Shaun). R21
    1-G TEM 08 Durant, M rush over right end for loss of 2 yards to the TEM10 (BRUTON,Keyvone).
    2-G TEM 10 Jones, D pass complete to Jones, D for 6 yards to the TEM4 (GRAHAM-MOBLEY,I).
    3-G TEM 04 Jones, D crossing pass complete to Koppenhaver, D for 4 yards to the TEM0, TOUCHDOWN,
    clock 10:16.
    1-G TEM 03 Wareham, C kick attempt good.
    Duke 56, Temple 27
    Excellent, needed post. A team that's been outscored 115 to 28 in the nine quarters leading up to the second half of the Independence Bowl might reasonably be expected to need another score.

Plus, as mentioned by others, I really enjoyed the way we piled on a bit after the silly bully-boy tactics employed by the Ows, where the 'l' is left out intentionally to represent the Temple players' feelings after a good butt-kickin'.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Art school for CB&B. I'll allow him a small error there. Damn fine chef, too.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Not a bit! LOL. Good thing I don't paint by numbers, lord knows what I'd come up with!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Not a bit! LOL. Good thing I don't paint by numbers, lord knows what I'd come up with!
    An advanced degree from "u"nc?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    An advanced degree from "u"nc?
    “Numbers Above 20: When You are Out of Fingers and Toes” is a very popular upperclass course I am told.

Aw give him a break. He only missed it by two.

ba dump bump ching

Perhaps, the biggest play of the game was the decision to go for it on the fourth and one at our own 34 with 4:30 left in the first half. We were down 27-14 at the time. Harris made it “by the nose of the football”, and we continue the drive to score and make it 27-21 at halftime. The momentum is ours.

If we don’t make the first down, Temple gets the ball in great field position, and we easily could have been down 30-14 or 34-14 at half. Same is true if we punt. The momentum would have then belonged to Temple.

Props to the coaches for the decision, and to the team for the execution of the play. Game of inches indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Perhaps, the biggest play of the game was the decision to go for it on the fourth and one at our own 34 with 4:30 left in the first half. We were down 27-14 at the time. Harris made it “by the nose of the football”, and we continue the drive to score and make it 27-21 at halftime. The momentum is ours.

If we don’t make the first down, Temple gets the ball in great field position, and we easily could have been down 30-14 or 34-14 at half. Same is true if we punt. The momentum would have then belonged to Temple.

Props to the coaches for the decision, and to the team for the execution of the play. Game of inches indeed!
    I don't think there's any doubt that was the biggest play, or biggest sequence, of the game. The third down and short call was awful and the execution wasn't good, something Cut alluded to in the presser. And yeah, QH didn't make it by much. Duke owned the entire rest of the game after that.

margins in Duke bowl games

Duke bowl games

Margin of victory (+) or defeat (-) ... season ... bowl ... SRS rank Duke v SRS rank opponent

+29 ... 2018 ... Independence Bowl ... #42 Duke over #64 Temple
    +27 ... 1954 ... Orange Bowl ... #21 Duke over #41 Nebraska
    +22 ... 2017 ... Quick Lane Bowl ... #37 Duke over #65 NIU
    +03 ... 2015 ... Pnstripe Bowl ... #57 Duke over #59 Indiana
    +03 ... 1944 ... Sugar Bowl ... #19 Duke over #18 Alabama
    +01 ... 1960 ... Cotton Bowl ... #32 Duke over #12 Arkansas
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -04 ... 1938 ... Rose Bowl ... #10 Duke lost to #5 Southern Cal
    -04 ... 1941 ... Rose Bowl ... #8 Duke lost to #5 Oregon State
    -04 ... 2013 ... Chik-fil-A Bowl ...#31 Duke lost to #19 TX A&M
    -05 ... 2014 ... Sun Bowl ... #40 Duke lost to #16 Ariz State
    -14 ... 2012 ... Belk Bowl ... #68 Duke lost to #31 Cincinnati
    -14 ... 1994 ... HOF Bowl ... #27 Duke lost to #22 Wisconsin
    -27 ... 1957 ... Orange Bowl ... #15 Duke lost to #2 Oklahoma
    -28 ... 1989 ... All-American Bowl ... #36 Duke lost to #22 Texas Tech

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...uke/bowls.html

Well, all 274 Manny Diaz will do this and that when he gets to Temple mentions during the second half of the game were in vain.

Shreveport review

warm accents ... warm people ... $1.89 gas ... meat pies ... shrimp remolaude ... gumbo ... good Temple band ... beignets ... andouille & red beans ... sunshine ... rain ... 56 points ... gumbo (again) ... blues ... meat pies (again) ... 56 points! ... Doug Williams ... Rudy ... heart-sinking seeing Ben H in street clothes in warm-ups ... TJ ... Bobo ... QH ... seeing Cut's son walking off the field pre-game w/ Cut's grandson, correcting how to hold the full-size football and properly secure it ... researching Holy Angels and buying a Baptismal gift from there ... B-52s doing slow loops out the hotel window the day after ... Strawn's breakfast (thanks House G!) ...

In Cut's post-game press conference, he went on about the warm people; how it pumps up the team. Truth to that.