Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Philly. 'nuf said.
    What immediately came to mind.

Also, an earlier poster referred to a game between "two small private schools." Uhhh, not recently. Temple is a good school that fulfills a real need, including a good medical school. Its undergrad enrollment is 30,000; its total enrollment is 40,000. It is state-related, having begun as a private institution, with in-state tuitiion and fees $16.7 K and $28.4 for out-of-state.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    This is about all I got for this one:

https://www.google.com/search?q=shre...hrome&ie=UTF-8

No reviews/knowledge of any of these joints.

I'll be no help with tatoo parlors and/or body-piercing establishments, either.

Sorry, OPK.
    you wva right ? born and proud. hope we can pull off a good week. (wvu 69) duke hospital......1980 till....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Jim Sumner article on the main page:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...-duke-football
    Read the article and found it interesting that he said near the end: "perhaps another signee or two and spring break in a few months."

Any ideas on who or what position we could get in another signee or 2?

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    Read the article and found it interesting that he said near the end: "perhaps another signee or two and spring break in a few months."

Any ideas on who or what position we could get in another signee or 2?
    Duke has to free up some scholarships before anything happens. I would expect some more attrition. Duke isn't going to run anyone off. But if you've been in the program for three years and you're not playing, then some guys might want to read the tea leaves and find a lower-level league in which to land.

Duke is still recruiting Ainias Smith, a Texas WR/CB. Down to Duke and Texas A&M.

Cut has heretofore not been a big player in the grad-student transfer market. But he did take Evan Lisle a couple of years ago and Duke could sure use an OT. Or two. Or three.

And if Jones goes NFL that leaves Duke with three recruited quarterbacks, which is cutting it thin. Duke did not get involved with Kelly Bryant, so maybe Cut is comfortable with three.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke has to free up some scholarships before anything happens. I would expect some more attrition. Duke isn't going to run anyone off. But if you've been in the program for three years and you're not playing, then some guys might want to read the tea leaves and find a lower-level league in which to land.

Duke is still recruiting Ainias Smith, a Texas WR/CB. Down to Duke and Texas A&M.

Cut has heretofore not been a big player in the grad-student transfer market. But he did take Evan Lisle a couple of years ago and Duke could sure use an OT. Or two. Or three.

And if Jones goes NFL that leaves Duke with three recruited quarterbacks, which is cutting it thin. Duke did not get involved with Kelly Bryant, so maybe Cut is comfortable with three.
    Thanks Jim!! Curious if DJ leaves do you think Coach Cut would go after Justin Fields the Georgia Bull Dog QB whose looking to transfer?

Dude was such a cheap shot promoter, I bet he ends up in Chapel Hill.
    Perhaps he was simply trying to ease Temple’s transition into the Manny Diaz era. I haven’t seen so many cheap shots in a single game since the Miami game two years ago, when Manny said the focus was to “get Daniel Jones out of the game.”

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    Curious if DJ leaves do you think Coach Cut would go after Justin Fields the Georgia Bull Dog QB whose looking to transfer?
    All the talk is that Fields is looking at FSU, Oklahoma, and Ohio State. He wants a big-time football program and a shot at the Heisman/National Title. He's going to try to be immediately eligible, claiming that some racist taunts thrown at him by some silly Georgia fans have made it hard for him to come back to school there. Word is he has a shot at getting a waiver from the NCAA (though everyone knows this is just an eligibility ploy). If he is unable to get the waiver, it is possible he just stays at Georgia, spends another year as Jake Fromm's backup (playing here and there in blow outs or in special situations) and then takes over as the starting QB in 2 years (which is what would happen if he went somewhere else and had to sit a season).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    All the talk is that Fields is looking at FSU, Oklahoma, and Ohio State. He wants a big-time football program and a shot at the Heisman/National Title. He's going to try to be immediately eligible, claiming that some racist taunts thrown at him by some silly Georgia fans have made it hard for him to come back to school there. Word is he has a shot at getting a waiver from the NCAA (though everyone knows this is just an eligibility ploy). If he is unable to get the waiver, it is possible he just stays at Georgia, spends another year as Jake Fromm's backup (playing here and there in blow outs or in special situations) and then takes over as the starting QB in 2 years (which is what would happen if he went somewhere else and had to sit a season).
    Pretty sure Georgia has another 5-star QB in the pipeline too. So if he stays, no guarantee he ever smells the field.

I gotta guess that once you've said you're leaving, you kinda burnt the bridge behind you. But who knows, I wish him luck and he is a very talented prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickshaw View Post
    you wva right ? born and proud. hope we can pull off a good week. (wvu 69) duke hospital...1980 till...
    No WVa connections for me or my wife. We drive through WVa on our way to KY, OH and/or IN when we travel and have spent a night or three in Charleston. I'd mention more but got "flamed" for a joke I told about WVa a few months ago.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Pretty sure Georgia has another 5-star QB in the pipeline too. So if he stays, no guarantee he ever smells the field.

I gotta guess that once you've said you're leaving, you kinda burnt the bridge behind you. But who knows, I wish him luck and he is a very talented prospect.
    They've got a couple 4-star kinda kids who could certainly turn out to be studs, but it is worth noting that Fields was considered the #1 QB in the class in 2018 and the #2 over all prospect in all of high school football. That's rarefied air and a sign of a truly special prospect.

Also, Justin has not burned any bridges at Georgia, at least not yet. He is entered the portal and is talking to some schools, but he is also still talking to Georgia and has not said he wants to leave yet. He is merely exploring his options.

-Jason "Georgia's recruiting has been insane since Kirby arrived... only Bama holds a candle to what the Dawgs are doing" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Rare criticism of cut: http://www.philly.com/college-sports...-20181228.html.

“Temple interim coach Ed Foley talked about what a class act Duke coach David Cutcliffe was, but rolling up the score and risking injury to his quarterback didn’t seem like the classiest or wisest of gestures.”

Quote Originally Posted by Farlan View Post

“Temple interim coach Ed Foley talked about what a class act Duke coach David Cutcliffe was, but rolling up the score and risking injury to his quarterback didn’t seem like the classiest or wisest of gestures.”
    My impression is that the voluble Foley sometimes speaks without thinking. I recognize the symptoms.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    My impression is that the voluble Foley sometimes speaks without thinking. I recognize the symptoms.
    yep, and also a little sour grapes from the reporter, who I'm betting is the Temple football beat reporter for that publication.

Let's see. He was at the same game where the Temple players tried to intimidate the Duke players in the first quarter... hard tackles with shoves sending Duke's offensive players out of bounds into hard objects, neck tackles, Owls massing on the field in an attempt to intimidate. ...the BS that passed the Owls' lips increased as they became frustrated. Then we have the Temple Owls who gathered in the end zone after a TD for a photo op with no interference or interruption. Quite a colorful, but fragile bunch of bullies. The Duke team made a statement of strength by moving en masse to the field while looking straight at the Temple players. The Temple team began to move like they were headed to a rumble until one of their coaches stopped them.

I suspect that if Mr. Foley's team were leading, he would have run up the score to seal his legacy as a temporary head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Let's see. He was at the same game where the Temple players tried to intimidate the Duke players in the first quarter... hard tackles with shoves sending Duke's offensive players out of bounds into hard objects, neck tackles, Owls massing on the field in an attempt to intimidate. ...the BS that passed the Owls' lips increased as they became frustrated. Then we have the Temple Owls who gathered in the end zone after a TD for a photo op with no interference or interruption. Quite a colorful, but fragile bunch of bullies. The Duke team made a statement of strength by moving en masse to the field while looking straight at the Temple players. The Temple team began to move like they were headed to a rumble until one of their coaches stopped them.

I suspect that if Mr. Foley's team were leading, he would have run up the score to seal his legacy as a temporary head coach.
    If Cut were trying to run up the score, he could have found a better way than Chris Katrenick handing off to walk-on running backs.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    If Cut were trying to run up the score, he could have found a better way than Chris Katrenick handing off to walk-on running backs.
    True. But that screen pass back across the width of the field was surely a sign. We had the game in hand by then I think, and was surprised we ran a trick play. The earlier double-reverse at least was more defendable because we wanted to break the game open.

Not complaining, mind you. But we did open up the playbook a bit too at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

Just to be clear, Foley didn't say anything negative about Duke or the offense staying on the gas. It was definitely sour grapes from the reporter, but no evidence of any from Foley. It sounds like Foley had nothing but good to say (called Cut a class act). Here is a fuller quote for better context:

Afterwards, Cutcliffe apologized to Foley and here is what the Duke coach said about leaving in his quarterback and throwing the ball when the game had long been decided.

“We were throwing the ball there and had our starters in. Left Daniel (Jones) in the game. T.J. Rahming was nine yards away from breaking an ACC record. I got that word, and you love your players. It was a tough decision, but when we gathered in our huddle, I told them, ‘We have to do this. We’re getting T.J. this record.’ Temple’s defense played so well we almost didn’t get the nine yards. He fought on that screen and got it. I was hopeful he would get it on the first play, and we would sub 11 players in the game. I felt like a dog doing that. I told him, ‘Great job, and I hope you understand we weren’t trying to do anything other than get a young man a record.’”

That’s fine, but it still left his quarterback, who has a chance to earn millions of NFL dollars, at risk and no record should be worth that.
    On another note, anyone know what ACC record Rahming got?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I believe it was rec yards in a bowl game...

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned and I thought it was odd when I saw it. During the pregame warmups, about 15-20 Temple players ran down to the south end zone, took their jerseys off (so they were naked from the waist up), and posed for a photo—never seen that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Just to be clear, Foley didn't say anything negative about Duke or the offense staying on the gas. It was definitely sour grapes from the reporter, but no evidence of any from Foley. It sounds like Foley had nothing but good to say (called Cut a class act). Here is a fuller quote for better context:

Cut faced a similar situation against Kansas a few years ago. Told that Shaun Wilson was a few yards short of Duke's single-game rushing record, he put Wilson back into the game, let him get the record and then pulled him.

Not really running up the score.

Steve Spurrier against UNC in 1989?

Now, that was some serious running-up-the-score.