Jerry McGee Dies

Former Duke player and coach Jerry McGee died today. RIP.
    http://www.dailyadvance.com/Sports/2...ies-at-80.html
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    I did not know he and Mike were twins...RIP Jerry....

This news truly brings tears. Jerry attended the Former Players' Weekend last fall. He was still talking with former players when I left the reception. Later that evening he was telling stories to everyone's delight back at the hotel. He was as talkative as Mike is quiet.

The quality of high school athletic directors in this state was lifted by Jerry's work in developing the job description and training program now used across the state.

I heard it said that had Jerry not been injured, he would have been an even better player than Mike. That's saying something since Mike won the Outland Trophy!

Jerry McGee always gave more to others then was expected. Truly one of a kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    This news truly brings tears. Jerry attended the Former Players' Weekend last fall. He was still talking with former players when I left the reception. Later that evening he was telling stories to everyone's delight back at the hotel. He was as talkative as Mike is quiet.

The quality of high school athletic directors in this state was lifted by Jerry's work in developing the job description and training program now used across the state.

I heard it said that had Jerry not been injured, he would have been an even better player than Mike. That's saying something since Mike won the Outland Trophy!

Jerry McGee always gave more to others then was expected. Truly one of a kind.
    Jerry was a fullback and had a good game against Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl. I didn't know him, but may he rest in peace.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Elizabeth City High School. Go Yellowjackets!!!

Prayers for Jerry's family. God bless and GoDuke!

Jerry was a class act. Devoted much of his life/career to the betterment of high-school sports in North Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Jerry was a class act. Devoted much of his life/career to the betterment of high-school sports in North Carolina.
    That he did. He was so modest about his great contributions to high school athletics.