Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Spurrier hung out through the bowl and our minds wandered; in 2012 Cincy had an interim coach and seemed pretty focused; Cut took over Ole Miss in Dec 1998 and won ...

I would guess the most commonly-occurring fact pattern is the 2012 Cincy/2019 Temple one ... where a head coach bolts before a bowl but leaves assistants behind to run the show ... would be interesting to see how often that has happened in the past ten years and whether the team is considered to have under-performed relative to expectation in the bowl ...
    yeah, Spurrier's body hung around, but his mind certainly wasn't in it...hope this works out well for us. I'd have to think there'll be uncertainty at Temple unless they elevate an assistant coach into the job permanently, which they may well might.

The interim Temple coach is the brother of former BC QB Glenn Foley: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Foley

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Way to ruin my day. Yup, I know that game, part of the reason I brought this up. Can't help but think the Temple minds would be wandering.
    (I never begrudged SS leaving Duke, but I did (and do) begrudge his total lack of preparation for that game.
    ...the main thing I begrudge is his helping Barry Wilson get the job. Wilson was terrible, immediately went about dismantling the air ball passing attack...even as he inherited many of the players. I am ticked at Wilson for that...

Meanwhile, I think this is two coaching losses at Temple in the last 3 seasons. I think Ruhle left for Baylor after the 16 season....

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    ...the main thing I begrudge is his helping Barry Wilson get the job. Wilson was terrible, immediately went about dismantling the air ball passing attack...even as he inherited many of the players. I am ticked at Wilson for that...

Meanwhile, I think this is two coaching losses at Temple in the last 3 seasons. I think Ruhle left for Baylor after the 16 season...
    One of the great mistakes a lot of athletic directors make is belief in the Osmosis Theory of Coaching, i.e. by sitting near or next to a great coach, an assistant somehow becomes imbued with the magic of the master.
    Works sometimes, but not that often. (I'm looking at you, Bill Guthridge, though that decision was cleverly made by Dean himself).

Spurrier also recommended Carl Franks.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Yes, but Alleva hired Franks without climbing out of his chair to search for another coach. That hire is all on Admiral Joe, particularly since Spurrier was 8-9 years removed from Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    ... all on Admiral Joe ...
    "Sail with the pilot, at the wheel, on a ship that's ..."

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    This is true, and Frank's tenure was a disaster, but Franks wasn't taking over a rolling train with two more years of Dave Brown and Randy Cuthbert and so on....Wilson's big crime to me was not only losing, but doing so while changing the very offensive mindset that had lifted Duke up under Spurrier. There is a failure to create a winning team...but a worse crime to ruin one.

"Sail with the pilot, at the wheel, on a ship that's ..."
    "sturdy from its mast to its keel"

Duke practiced today and Coach Cutcliffe spoke to the media afterwards:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/pl...200&id=6302839
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

Thanks. That was a good watch -- and I liked the end.

Thanks. That was a good watch -- and I liked the end.
    Out of character - and great.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

In the future, could you please consider adding a little context to a post like this? For instance, simply adding the words "due to weather" at the end of your statement about the banquet being cancelled would have provided some clarity as to the reason why. After reading what you wrote and before clicking on the linked story, I feared the event had been cancelled due to some unrest or something in the football program. Maybe it's just me, but after that awful beat down by a so-so Wake team to end the season, I'm concerned about the state of football team and seeing stuff like this on the board without proper context just plays into that.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Wilson had the nerve to show up in Indy for the ‘91 Final Four. I was tempted to relay the above message to him personally as he was exiting a restaurant, but decided discretion was the better part of valor. Though truth be told, I’d be lying if I said I haven’t regretted my constraint from time to time over the years.

Don't forget Patrick Ramsey of Redskins head-butting fame ... also from Ruston ...the man who beat out Cut's Heath Shuler with the Redskins ...
    The head-butter was one Gus Frerotte from PA. Ramsey from Ruston/Tulane was drafted 8 years later to put out the Skins QB dumpster fire which has lasted to date.

But carry on..

Quote Originally Posted by richmclean View Post
    The head-butter was one Gus Frerotte from PA. Ramsey from Ruston/Tulane was drafted 8 years later to put out the Skins QB dumpster fire which has lasted to date.

But carry on..
    I always felt Heath Shuler’s holdout beat out Heath Shuler and allowed Gus to play ahead of him. Back in the day, the Redskins had a reputation for opening up their pocketbook and Shuler tried to take more than deserved. Shuler was a total bust as an NFL QB.

Quote Originally Posted by richmclean View Post

But carry on..
    Thank you for the correction, and apologies to "young Patrick" as Spurrier would call him. Gus head-butted wall; Patrick was from Bert Jones's hometown.

I don't know how I could confuse the two:

Gus - 1994-98 Redskins - 19-26-1 w/ Skins - 6-3/237 white guy - Tulsa - #12
    Pat - 2002-05 Redskins - 10-14 w/ Skins - 6-2/225 white guy - Tulane - #11

They both seemed earnest and likable and hard-working, and their lack of success with the Redskins perhaps due more to what was not around them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

I apologize up front as I believe this may have come up before, but you have to pay for a BDN subscription to view any of these NeuLion videos, correct? I can't view any but I know there may other tech related reasons - thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    I apologize up front as I believe this may have come up before, but you have to pay for a BDN subscription to view any of these NeuLion videos, correct? I can't view any but I know there may other tech related reasons - thanks.
    All the videos that I post links to are free. I do not have a BDN subscription. My suggestion to you is to try a different browser - I use Google Chrome these days.
    Bob Green