Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Dukie View Post
    It did look WEIRD...but I think Zion was definitely annoyed. Coaches need to be aware!
    OK... I re-watched the game. This occurred in the second half. As much as Zion looked annoyed, I think it was more a "teasing"back-and-forth kind of stuff. In fact, a couple of minutes after that exchange, Zion had his arms around RJ on the right an Cam on the left. Then about a minute after that, Zion and RJ were chuckling to each other, looking like they were having fun... So, yes, probably nothing to see here...

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Yep. They were called Runnin’ Rebels for a reason.
    The reason being that it’s their team name? They were awesome.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I’m honestly not intending to specifically call you out, Cake, You’re an excellent poster. I just don’t fully understand the fairly common DBR concern with all things related to the student section at Cameron. Over the years I have read literally hundreds, if not thousands, of DBR commentaries assessing the students’ cheering (or lack thereof). It seems kind of odd to concern ourselves so much with it.
    Appreciate the kind words! I guess for me I feel like the Crazies have a long-standing reputation as being the best fans in the country, and Cameron as the hardest venue in which to play. I take a lot of pride in having been part of that during my student days, and would like to see it continue. So when I’m fortunate to get to attend a game and the environment feels anything less than amazing, it feels like we’re starting to lose something.

But I wholely acknowledge that a.) fan interest has declined everywhere, across all sports, b.) when I was a student the older fans said the exact same thing about my generation, and c.) it’s a dumb thing to get worked up about. But that’s all part of being a fan!

It also seems to me that as time goes on, each group of fans gets to participate in the "it's not like it used to be" festival, or maybe even revel a little bit in the idea that it was better when "we" were there.

I don't think it's terribly dissimilar to the constant grousing of each generation about how the following generation is stupider, lazier, more shiftless, less productive, more profane, less respectful, etc., etc., etc. This has been going on as long as humans have been able to communicate.

The current group of Crazies will undoubtedly be on this board in 15 or 20 years telling stories about how much better the cheers were when they were students.

I guess what I'm saying is that it is almost not within the realm of possibility that every single group of students is worse than the ones before, through time immemorial. That would make the bar WAY too high for the crazies of 30 years ago, and impossibly low for the crazies of 30 years from now. Same goes for people in general. No possible way the people from 100 years ago were as much better than we are as all the generational "steps" would have you believe, and there is similarly no way that people 100 years from now could be as low as they ought to be if people's perceptions of generational devolution were even remotely close to what is actually happening.

In short, it's mostly a perception issue, IMO.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    It also seems to me that as time goes on, each group of fans gets to participate in the "it's not like it used to be" festival, or maybe even revel a little bit in the idea that it was better when "we" were there.

I don't think it's terribly dissimilar to the constant grousing of each generation about how the following generation is stupider, lazier, more shiftless, less productive, more profane, less respectful, etc., etc., etc. This has been going on as long as humans have been able to communicate.

The current group of Crazies will undoubtedly be on this board in 15 or 20 years telling stories about how much better the cheers were when they were students.

I guess what I'm saying is that it is almost not within the realm of possibility that every single group of students is worse than the ones before, through time immemorial. That would make the bar WAY too high for the crazies of 30 years ago, and impossibly low for the crazies of 30 years from now. Same goes for people in general. No possible way the people from 100 years ago were as much better than we are as all the generational "steps" would have you believe, and there is similarly no way that people 100 years from now could be as low as they ought to be if people's perceptions of generational devolution were even remotely close to what is actually happening.

In short, it's mostly a perception issue, IMO.
    I think this is somewhat true. However, I'd note that (a) the student section has - due to lack of attendance - decreased in size over the last 15 years; (b) TV coverage is ubiquitous to the degree that some things that may have been okay years ago are not today; and (c) originality is more challenging over time. I think the first two factors probably DO suggest the Crazies are not what they used to be. In fact, the first one is absolute evidence of this(students stopped showing up regularly, thus lost some of their "seats"), and may be in part due to the increase in TV access to games (along with other factors including Duke's rise in academic standing). The third is more of a "everyone is doing 'Crazy' stuff these days, so our environment isn't as relatively crazy as it used to be".

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I think this is somewhat true. However, I'd note that (a) the student section has - due to lack of attendance - decreased in size over the last 15 years; (b) TV coverage is ubiquitous to the degree that some things that may have been okay years ago are not today; and (c) originality is more challenging over time. I think the first two factors probably DO suggest the Crazies are not what they used to be. In fact, the first one is absolute evidence of this(students stopped showing up regularly, thus lost some of their "seats"), and may be in part due to the increase in TV access to games (along with other factors including Duke's rise in academic standing). The third is more of a "everyone is doing 'Crazy' stuff these days, so our environment isn't as relatively crazy as it used to be".
    I miss the full-on, surround-sound Crazies...

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I miss the full-on, surround-sound Crazies...

-jk
    ^^^^^this^^^^

Totally

It is also harder to be creative and loud when the piped in music is deafening. There might be some great cheers that are being drowned out.

80's: throw condoms on the court
    90's: throw pizza boxes on the court
    2000's: throw your hands in the air
    today: stare at your phone and watch a YouTube highlight of people throwing things

Well put

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    90's: throw pizza boxes on the court
    2000's: throw your hands in the air
    today: stare at your phone and watch a YouTube highlight of people throwing things
    I must spread the love, apparently, but I would like to add:

70's: throw underwear on the court

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I must spread the love, apparently, but I would like to add:

70's: throw underwear on the court
    70s: throw aspirin on the court

80s: throw album covers on the court

(I'm reporting/reminiscing, not condoning.)

Minor correction (maybe?): were the pizza boxes in the 90s or the 80s for Lorenzo Charles (RIP)?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    For accuracy's sake, this first happened in the late 70s (perhaps earlier; I witnessed it in 1978).

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Minor correction (maybe?): were the pizza boxes in the 90s or the 80s for Lorenzo Charles (RIP)?
    Lorenzo Charles played in the 80s (played on State's last championship team in 1983; exhausted his eligibility in 1985).

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I guess what I'm saying is that it is almost not within the realm of possibility that every single group of students is worse than the ones before, through time immemorial. That would make the bar WAY too high for the crazies of 30 years ago, and impossibly low for the crazies of 30 years from now.
    As a Crazie 30 years ago, and as unbelievable as it might sound, this is, in fact, true.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    As a Crazie 30 years ago, and as unbelievable as it might sound, this is, in fact, true.
    Having probably stood close to Rich at some of those games, I’ll concur.

70s: throw aspirin on the court.
    My first game in Cameron! vs. Maryland and Lefty!
    Last edited by -jk; 12-05-2018 at 08:11 AM. Reason: fix quote tag

70’s: throw aspirin on the court
    2018: take aspirin after the physical strain of attending the game.

At least that’s how my viewing habits have changed!

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    My first game in Cameron! vs. Maryland and Lefty!
    I thought that was Mo Rivers from NCSU who had been charged with shoplifting a bottle of aspirin when he changed the price tag. I'm almost certain the men's briefs that were tossed were to "celebrate" the arrest of Tine Pender (sp?) and another "fine" NCSU felon whose name eludes me that changed the price/s on some underwear.

Underwear

I thought that was Mo Rivers from NCSU who had been charged with shoplifting a bottle of aspirin when he changed the price tag. I'm almost certain the men's briefs that were tossed were to "celebrate" the arrest of Tine Pender (sp?) and another "fine" NCSU felon whose name eludes me that changed the price/s on some underwear.
    Think it was Tiny Pinder and Tony Warren.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Think it was Tiny Pinder and Tony Warren.
    Upon further review, the call from MChambers is correct.

Re: Crazies

I agree sometimes the crowd is less than stellar. But I take comfort in the fact that when it is a premier game, especially in the conference season, Cameron is absolutely and unquestionably rocking. The UNC games never disappoint in this regard, and certain other ones usually deliver as well.

Those games, when the announcers are almost drowned out by the incessant and erupting noise, are truly special.

- Chillin