Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate85 View Post
    They all have them. It’s the tracking device that allows for motion analytics.
    Ah, big data. I knew they subscribed to that type of program a couple of years ago, so I wondered if it had something to do with that. His must be more noticeable due to fit of his uniform or something. Thanks

KP had this as a 99.98% win for duke...which is the highest i've personally ever seen.

Efficiency:
    O: 138 -> 128 adjusted
    D: 60->69 adjusted

You can't draw much from performances when the teams are that outmatched (which is why KP discounts the results the further teams ratings are from eachother), but duke took care of business. I'm largely going to expcet more of the same from hartford and princeton, and even yale, despite their better rating. TT is the next thing of interest on the schedule for me...who had a big comeback today to win after being down double digits.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    KP had this as a 99.98% win for duke...which is the highest i've personally ever seen.

Efficiency:
    O: 138 -> 128 adjusted
    D: 60->69 adjusted

You can't draw much from performances when the teams are that outmatched (which is why KP discounts the results the further teams ratings are from eachother), but duke took care of business. I'm largely going to expcet more of the same from hartford and princeton, and even yale, despite their better rating. TT is the next thing of interest on the schedule for me...who had a big comeback today to win after being down double digits.
    Interestingly, Yale beat Miami tonight.

Interestingly, Yale beat Miami tonight.
    I'm going to liquidly lubricatedly double down on this one. I will bet you a pie that duke beats yale easily.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I'm going to liquidly lubricatedly double down on this one. I will bet you a pie that duke beats yale easily.
    My observation had nothing to do with expectations of Yale giving Duke a tough test and more the surprise that Miami lost to them.

My observation had nothing to do with expectations of Yale giving Duke a tough test and more the surprise that Miami lost to them.
    not going to put your money where your mouth is, then?

fine.

I'll continue to put my Elysian IPAs where my mouth is.
    April 1

Two things about advanced stats: (1) today's game was over so early, the advanced stats are probably close to meaningless -- as is perhaps obvious from the fact that Justin Robinson was tied for our 4th leading scorer (with 13 points), in 12 minutes. With that in mind, my comments on each stat will be minimal (or nonexistent), unless particularly noteworthy; (2) Billy_Dat asked me to explain, for each stat, where I draw the good vs bad line and why -- and I will do that sometime in the next couple weeks, but not tonight.

ADVANCED STATS

Possessions: 81.87 (our 2nd-fastest game of the season, behind the UK game)

OFFENSE

oRtg: 1.38 (our adjusted oRtg was 1.29, which is a little above average for Duke but really good for pretty much everyone else).
    eFG%: 65.4%
    3pt%: 35.3%
    2pt%: 75.0% (this is a "wow" number, even against Stetson)
    %threes: 43.6%
    FT rate: 23.1%
    OR%: 54.1% (another wow number; best OR% of the season)
    TO%: 20.8% (too high, even in a game like this)
    a/to: 1.71:1
    %assisted: 64.4%
    fast break pts: 34 fb pts for 30.1%

DEFENSE

dRtg: 0.60 (adjusted, that's 0.69; can't complain about that)
    eFG%: 33.3%
    3pt%: 8.7% (stunningly low, but I'm not sure we can give Duke all the credit for this)
    2pt%: 46.2%
    %threes: 37.1%
    FT rate: 21.0%
    DR%: 69.6% (this isn't terrible, but against a team like Stetson, you'd hope for better, even with the lineup we trotted out there for most of the 2nd half)
    TO%: 31.8% (best performance of the season, by a fair amount)
    a/to: 0.42:1
    %assisted: 55.0%
    fast break pts: 7 fb pts for 14.3%
    block%: 8.1%; 10.3% of 2-point shots

In sum, this is what happens statistically when you win by 64 points.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I got to attend the game!
    I jokingly messaged a few friends that I wasn't tuning in to the game because painting and listening to music was going to be more fun.
    And I didn't watch one single second. But...there's a caveat to this. If I had been there, I would have loved it.
    Blowouts are rare air, regardless of the opponent. I've never seen one of this proportion, so there's that. And you get to see guys that you never get to see, actually play!

So, I love my painting that I finished during the game whilst dancing to whoever Pandora wanted me to, but I also love UC's opening statement. That's a memory ever lasting. Very happy he got to go and tell the hats to drive home safely.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

^ thanks CBB; attending a game is always a blast, even in a yawner like this. I was expecting the crowd to be thin by Cameron standards, but it was packed even in the corner sections. The students need some work learning how to stay consistently loud and involved, which I’m sure will come just as soon as they get off my lawn.

I was also thinking that games like this will probably help our NET rating, which only factors in strength of opponent a little bit. It relies on UNadjusted efficiency ratings among other things, so beating up on crappy opponents seems to boost your rating.

Data

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeford View Post
    Ah, big data. I knew they subscribed to that type of program a couple of years ago, so I wondered if it had something to do with that. His must be more noticeable due to fit of his uniform or something. Thanks
    The really big data comes from Zion's tracker.

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    So after this game, Duke's kenpom rating is #1 by a greater margin than what separates #s 2-8. Obviously, this is not the be all end all, and Duke has lost when many haven't, but...I like this.
    What's scary is that our kenpom rating includes more significantly worse minutes statistically from deep bench than normal. Our starters and key reserves have performed at a very high level and Kenpom isn't accurately reflecting their potential.

In blowout games like these, I try to look at things beyond putting the ball in the hoop. It was clear that defense was the message in practice this week, and I really appreciated that everyone seems to have taken that to heart. Again, an overmatched (which is an understatement) opponent but regardless of the opponent, effort is effort.

It seems every game Tre has at least one transition pass that just makes my jaw drop. This game it was the top play on the duke blueplanet video top plays video. It just blows my mind that he can gather the ball, assess the full court situation, and thread the needle so well and so fast. His ability to know exactly where everyone else is on the floor at all times and to put the ball exactly where it needs to be is so impressive.
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

Tre Jones is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. 15 minutes, 3 steals, 7 assists, 0 turnovers and 1 shot. Not one shot!

Hard to take much from a game like this but I love how he defers to his teammates in games like this but when they need him to score he's more than capable.

Also love that he gets after it on defense.

The biggest reality of this team right now is- Can we force live ball turnovers to get into transition?

We are the best transition team I've ever seen in CBB, but experienced teams like Gonzaga and even Auburn, to a lesser degree, will take care of the ball and slow the game down.

I'm not saying these games are meaningless, but our biggest weakness is when we are letting teams score and unable to push the ball into transition. Glad we were able to do that at a high level, but I hope we can get reps against opponents who slow the ball down. IMO, every single march becomes a slow, half court march. Building leads via transition is important, but we'll need to find ways for Tre, Z, Cam, and RJ to get high percentage shots in the halfcourt. We definitely generated those looks today, so it was nice to see the squad completely crush an undermatched opponent.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    What little I think I saw, RJ seemed to be having fun, but Zion appeared genuinely annoyed???? Looked weird...
    It did look WEIRD....but I think Zion was definitely annoyed. Coaches need to be aware!

Quote Originally Posted by DoWorkDukie View Post
    The biggest reality of this team right now is- Can we force live ball turnovers to get into transition?

We are the best transition team I've ever seen in CBB, but experienced teams like Gonzaga and even Auburn, to a lesser degree, will take care of the ball and slow the game down.

I'm not saying these games are meaningless, but our biggest weakness is when we are letting teams score and unable to push the ball into transition. Glad we were able to do that at a high level, but I hope we can get reps against opponents who slow the ball down. IMO, every single march becomes a slow, half court march. Building leads via transition is important, but we'll need to find ways for Tre, Z, Cam, and RJ to get high percentage shots in the halfcourt. We definitely generated those looks today, so it was nice to see the squad completely crush an undermatched opponent.
    AGREE...great in transition - but the more skilled teams will guard the ball better and reduce those chances. It all boils down to DEFENSE - to accompany what is already a potent offense. Duke coaches need to instill incessantly the importance and necessity to play with more intensity on D. Otherwise, it will all be for naught!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dukie View Post
    It did look WEIRD...but I think Zion was definitely annoyed. Coaches need to be aware!
    How right you are!! Imagine if the coaches hadn't benched Laettner 3 games for his constant hazing hazing of Hurley. We wouldn't have won one championship, let alone back to back!

/sarcasm

It reminded me of two brothers teasing each other. Nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by DoWorkDukie View Post

Do you recall the early 1990s UNLV teams?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Do you recall the early 1990s UNLV teams?
    Yep. They were called Runnin’ Rebels for a reason.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    The students need some work learning how to stay consistently loud and involved, which I’m sure will come just as soon as they get off my lawn.
    I’m honestly not intending to specifically call you out, Cake, You’re an excellent poster. I just don’t fully understand the fairly common DBR concern with all things related to the student section at Cameron. Over the years I have read literally hundreds, if not thousands, of DBR commentaries assessing the students’ cheering (or lack thereof). It seems kind of odd to concern ourselves so much with it. If the students want to cheer, they’ll cheer. If not, they won’t. Do other fans around the country care as much as we do about the cheering of students?