Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 113, Stetson 49 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

2nd half complete waste of time.

Zion looked to have had enough of RJ on the bench this game and switched seats with White.

We did what we were supposed to. Great to see guys like Robinson and Besser get some shine.

Greenberg not sure how much Duke “earned” today. What an idiotic statement.

Wow!

I know Stetson isn't very good, but I still was impressed by Duke's defense. Tre Jones was unbelievable and his teammates were all solid.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post

Zion looked to have had enough of RJ on the bench this game and switched seats with White.
    Wow. I thought they were just joking with each other, but if that was serious, then...

Quote Originally Posted by DaleDuke7 View Post
    We did what we were supposed to. Great to see guys like Robinson and Besser get some shine.

Greenberg not sure how much Duke “earned” today. What an idiotic statement.
    I'd love to not see him or Alexander on any Duke broadcasts. What do they contribute?

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Wow. I thought they were just joking with each other, but if that was serious, then...
    ...yeah, we better hope they were joking around...

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    ...yeah, we better hope they were joking around...
    At least RJ was joking around. I wouldn't look too much into it.

Second half happened so JRob could dominate with 3 straight 3s and a beautiful steal and break away slam!

Anybody have a video of RJ/Zion on the bench? I must’ve missed that

At least RJ was joking around. I wouldn't look too much into it.
    What little I think I saw, RJ seemed to be having fun, but Zion appeared genuinely annoyed???? Looked weird...

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    What little I think I saw, RJ seemed to be having fun, but Zion appeared genuinely annoyed???? Looked weird...
    Actually I interpreted that very differently. I thought they were goofing around, but trying not to laugh lest it be misinterpreted as disrespectful to the opponent and game at hand, given the score. It seems unlikely to me that Zion would be annoyed while the reserves were playing in a game we were winning by 60.

Edit to add:
    Check out Javin’s player interview with Justin after the game in the locker room, with cameos by Zion and R.J. I don’t think we have anything to worry about.
    Last edited by SavDukeGrad; 12-01-2018 at 10:07 PM.

After that spanking, I wonder if the Hatters are, well, mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    After that spanking, I wonder if the Hatters are, well, mad.
    groan. ;-)
    Love, Ima

I got to attend the game! My assorted thoughts:

- Seeing Zion in person is just striking. His sheer size and physique don't necessarily carry over to seeing him on TV. He just dwarfs everyone else, even elite athletes who are very large.
    - Alex threw down some sick dunks in warmups.
    - Tre's on the ball defense looked great. Obviously a low level of competition, but I can see why K describes him in the same vein as Wojo/Duhon/Hurley.
    - Bolden did a decent job hedging on ball screens. The team still needs some work on help and recovering when Bolden is stuck on the ballhandler and hasn't yet released, but he's going to have to do this effectively in order to stay on the court because opponents are going to constantly target him with pick and rolls.
    - It was nice to see Cam have a big game. He wasn't the leading scorer but he appeared to have free rein to shoot at will, and he scored so easily. Could have had 40 if he wanted. He does look a little lackluster on defense at times, like when guarding an inbounds he just sort of lazily holds up his arms, but at other times he does look engaged on that end.
    - Zion's shot mechanics don't look very good, at least to my untrained eye. He sort of flings the ball without a lot of touch. I don't expect this to improve much over the course of the season unfortunately.
    - The last 15 minutes of the game were brutal, until the late flurry of activity - Besser getting a bucket and Robinson getting the breakaway dunk. It made me question why we scheduled this game against such an awful opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Nooo, it wasn't. They were definitely goofing around and about to get yelled at by the coaches.

We do forget that these are still teenagers being silly at times. I think word came down to knock it off Mr. Williamson and Mr. Barrett, unless they decided a few thousand up/downs were worth the trouble.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I got to attend the game! My assorted thoughts:

- Seeing Zion in person is just striking. His sheer size and physique don't necessarily carry over to seeing him on TV. He just dwarfs everyone else, even elite athletes who are very large.
    - Alex threw down some sick dunks in warmups.
    - Tre's on the ball defense looked great. Obviously a low level of competition, but I can see why K describes him in the same vein as Wojo/Duhon/Hurley.
    - Bolden did a decent job hedging on ball screens. The team still needs some work on help and recovering when Bolden is stuck on the ballhandler and hasn't yet released, but he's going to have to do this effectively in order to stay on the court because opponents are going to constantly target him with pick and rolls.
    - It was nice to see Cam have a big game. He wasn't the leading scorer but he appeared to have free rein to shoot at will, and he scored so easily. Could have had 40 if he wanted. He does look a little lackluster on defense at times, like when guarding an inbounds he just sort of lazily holds up his arms, but at other times he does look engaged on that end.
    - Zion's shot mechanics don't look very good, at least to my untrained eye. He sort of flings the ball without a lot of touch. I don't expect this to improve much over the course of the season unfortunately.
    - The last 15 minutes of the game were brutal, until the late flurry of activity - Besser getting a bucket and Robinson getting the breakaway dunk. It made me question why we scheduled this game against such an awful opponent.
    I agree. Hard to get much out of playing an opponent that is not in the least competitive. It was like a practice but our second string is probably better than their first.

Justin observation

Apologies if this has been asked before. But what does Justin have underneath his jersey, between his shoulder blades?
    At the end of the game, the camera focused on him from behind and you could see some type of lump under his jersey.
    It looked like a very small cube shaped device of some type.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeford View Post
    Apologies if this has been asked before. But what does Justin have underneath his jersey, between his shoulder blades?
    At the end of the game, the camera focused on him from behind and you could see some type of lump under his jersey.
    It looked like a very small cube shaped device of some type.
    They all have them. It’s the tracking device that allows for motion analytics.

So after this game, Duke's kenpom rating is #1 by a greater margin than what separates #s 2-8. Obviously, this is not the be all end all, and Duke has lost when many haven't, but...I like this.