Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    (as for the Maginot Line of Duke Security protecting people, I'm not that impressed).
    they're not for protecting people. they're for preventing you from doing things you shouldn't.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    they're not for protecting people. they're for preventing you from doing things you shouldn't.
    people gave up on preventing me from doing things I shouldn't do about fifty years ago, but I get your point. I just think there's an incident waiting to happen, that's all.

Eating more carbs?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Eating more carbs?
    Punning with impunity?

Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate85 View Post
    I think the configuration and location of the Duke locker room has a lot to do with this. There are multiple doors and potentially an elevator involved, all with security to enter. I’m guessing they are racing to have all of those prepared so there is no delay for the players and coaches.
    Just wondering if no one saw this, no one believed it or maybe I’m posting in an alternate universe.

No one believes it. They're running to annoy us. It's obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate85 View Post
    I think the configuration and location of the Duke locker room has a lot to do with this. There are multiple doors and potentially an elevator involved, all with security to enter. I’m guessing they are racing to have all of those prepared so there is no delay for the players and coaches.
    I don't profess to know the answer, but given the military-grade organization of the Duke basketball program, it seems more likely to me that K would simply arrange for one or more staff members or security personnel to station themselves at the locker room door and perform this function, rather than rely on the team managers to race across the floor at the halftime buzzer to open the doors.

Eating more carbs?
    we both know you ought be drinking them...
    April 1

IANAD, but I feel qualified to make a clinical diagnosis of the vapors for approximately 80% of the people posting in this thread.

Recommended course of action is to take beer. Dosage to be determined by the patient.

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    IANAD, but I feel qualified to make a clinical diagnosis of the vapors for approximately 80% of the people posting in this thread.

Recommended course of action is to take beer. Dosage to be determined by the patient.
    the vapors, or vaping?

Eating more carbs?
    It’s the carbs I drink that are my main problem. YMMV.

I was at Stetson game last night and left right before halftime to get my wife a sprite. I walked down the long blue hall from grad student side toward concession stand, just as I was directed to do. If I had been about 2 steps ahead of where I was, I would have been very seriously injured. These managers sprinting through doors are not looking where they are going and they are really going to hurt somebody. This needs to stop and this needs to get fixed. There was a security guard at that door and he also didn't seem to know they were coming that fast. They came charging through like they were running from a lion. The security guard would have not been able to help me had I been about 2 steps ahead, and he did not tell me to wait or stop. Close call - I got lucky. I'm going to call the Men's basketball office to complain about it. I love Duke basketball, but this situation IS going to hurt somebody if not fixed. There was zero warning. Nobody yelled coming through. Ridiculous and very dangerous.
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 12-02-2018 at 01:22 PM.

security/ushers form a wall to prevent anyone from entering the pathway until the team has exited. If a VIP forces their way past and gets hit, that's on them. Further, it's far less dangerous than the players sprinting down the court and sometimes ending up in the seats who weigh 50-100 lbs more. Having been on the receiving end of Scheyer and Kennard, I would rather be run over by a manager.
    No they don't. Not at all. Not last night. 1 security guard at that door looked just as stunned as I did. He did nothing to warn me or tell me to wait, and I was 2 steps from getting hurt badly. They were sprinting full speed.

The end of the first half was a bit unusual, on the final possession they didn’t start the clock after the inbounds and so the half should have been over but play continued. It resulted in all the players standing on the court for a few seconds while the refs sorted it out. Anyways, the effect on the managers was that the court was full of extra people when they started their bull rush toward the exit.

It does feel like they will inevitably knock someone over, but I doubt things will change.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    I was at Stetson game last night and left right before halftime to get my wife a sprite. I walked down the long blue hall from grad student side toward concession stand, just as I was directed to do. If I had been about 2 steps ahead of where I was, I would have been very seriously injured. These managers sprinting through doors are not looking where they are going and they are really going to hurt somebody. This needs to stop and this needs to get fixed. There was a security guard at that door and he also didn't seem to know they were coming that fast. They came charging through like they were running from a lion. The security guard would have not been able to help me had I been about 2 steps ahead, and he did not tell me to wait or stop. Close call - I got lucky. I'm going to call the Men's basketball office to complain about it. I love Duke basketball, but this situation IS going to hurt somebody if not fixed. There was zero warning. Nobody yelled coming through. Ridiculous and very dangerous.
    If you do contact the office, please start a thread with their response so we don't miss it!

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    I don't profess to know the answer, but given the military-grade organization of the Duke basketball program, it seems more likely to me that K would simply arrange for one or more staff members or security personnel to station themselves at the locker room door and perform this function, rather than rely on the team managers to race across the floor at the halftime buzzer to open the doors.
    This makes a lot more sense. Or they could have one or two managers leave at the last tv timeout to get there early to do whatever top secret, mission critical job they are tasked with.

I have noticed this many times and have always been perplexed by it. At the same time, I can’t believe I am wasting brain cells thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    No they don't. Not at all. Not last night. 1 security guard at that door looked just as stunned as I did. He did nothing to warn me or tell me to wait, and I was 2 steps from getting hurt badly. They were sprinting full speed.
    So much for the Maginot Line of Duke Security. Illusory.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    ...I doubt things will change.
    Maybe Duke will start shutting down the corridor under the stands that leads to locker room. Remain in your seats! Avert your eyes!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    If you do contact the office, please start a thread with their response so we don't miss it!
    I'll post what they tell me. I'm not going to be angry or rude. They just need to know.

I'm no VIP, not even close, but I'm sure if anybody had been there to see that they would understand. In that hallway I couldn't see them coming. There was also no way for them to see me. Just a security guard standing by the door who also clearly didn't see them coming. Then those managers came bolting through the doorway perpendicular to me so fast and reckless that a collision would have been very bad. It's tough to explain, but I'm a decently sized dude. For a child or someone who is frail it would have been even worse. I'm sure if Coach K had seen that with his hip replacements and knee replacements he would stop this immediately. I don't really blame the security guard either. But with that many people in Cameron, it's going to be expected that near halftime some of us will go for the concessions, and that is where ushers directed me (as it did lead to the concessions). The managers need to slow down, a lot.

We need to get Shane Battier to stand in that hallway just before halftime. When the managers come rushing in, he can draw a charge.