Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

MBB: Duke v. Stetson (Sat., Dec. 1, 7 pm -- ESPN2) PRE-GAME and IN-GAME thread

Welcome, Stetson Hatters!

Stetson is a private university whose main campus is in DeLand, Florida. Founded in 1883 by Henry DeLand, the name was changed in 1889 to honor benefactor (and hat magnate) John B. Stetson. It's mascot is named "John B." Famous alum include former Rookie of the Year and Cy Young winner Jacob deGrom, numerous politicians, and most impressively actor Ted Cassidy (sporks for the first person who names his most famous role -- no using the internet to Tar Heel and get the answer, please). It was the first private university in Florida to be granted a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa. Enrollment is about 3,000 undergrads and about 1,250 grad students. It is conveniently located about half-way between Daytona Beach and Orlando.

Stetson > Fedora. Prove me wrong.

A member of the Atlantic Sun Conference, Stetson is primarily known for its quality baseball team. The basketball team is coached by Corey Williams who you may remember as a member of Oklahoma State's teams in the late 80's and early '90's. The Hatters are off to a rough 1-7 start, Their top scorer, 6'4" sophomore guard Christiaan Jones, averages 12.8 point per game.

Looks like a mighty task for our visitors from DeLand, whose nickname is "The Athens of Florida." So, a mighty tip of the cap to our next opponent and let's get the party started!!

Ted Cassidy

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Stetson is a private university whose main campus is in DeLand, Florida. Founded in 1883 by Henry DeLand, the name was changed in 1889 to honor benefactor (and hat magnate) John B. Stetson. It's mascot is named "John B." Famous alum include former Rookie of the Year and Cy Young winner Jacob deGrom, numerous politicians, and most impressively actor Ted Cassidy (sporks for the first person who names his most famous role -- no using the internet to Tar Heel and get the answer, please). It was the first private university in Florida to be granted a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa. Enrollment is about 3,000 undergrads and about 1,250 grad students. It is conveniently located about half-way between Daytona Beach and Orlando.

A member of the Atlantic Sun Conference, Stetson is primarily known for its quality baseball team. The basketball team is coached by Corey Williams who you may remember as a member of Oklahoma State's teams in the late 80's and early '90's. The Hatters are off to a rough 1-7 start, Their top scorer, 6'4" sophomore guard Christiaan Jones, averages 12.8 point per game.

Looks like a mighty task for our visitors from DeLand, whose nickname is "The Athens of Florida." So, a mighty tip of the cap to our next opponent and let's get the party started!!
    For me, Ted Cassidy's best role was as a pompous jerk in Caddyshack. After that, I'd say as Ted Baxter on the Mary Tyler Moore. Guess you could reverse those. How do you measure fame?

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    For me, Ted Cassidy's best role was as a pompous jerk in Caddyshack. After that, I'd say as Ted Baxter on the Mary Tyler Moore. Guess you could reverse those. How do you measure fame?
    In 15 minute increments?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Stetson is a private university whose main campus is in DeLand, Florida. Founded in 1883 by Henry DeLand, the name was changed in 1889 to honor benefactor (and hat magnate) John B. Stetson. It's mascot is named "John B." Famous alum include former Rookie of the Year and Cy Young winner Jacob deGrom, numerous politicians, and most impressively actor Ted Cassidy (sporks for the first person who names his most famous role -- no using the internet to Tar Heel and get the answer, please). It was the first private university in Florida to be granted a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa. Enrollment is about 3,000 undergrads and about 1,250 grad students. It is conveniently located about half-way between Daytona Beach

? Lurch
    And I thought Ted Knight was in Caddyshack lol

Luke Doyle, the son of a woman who regularly cuts my hair at a local tonsorial parlor, played for Stetson. However, he graduated last year and I have nothing more to add to your fine summary.

I tip my hat to you sir.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post
    ? Lurch
    You are correct on both counts. Lurch Sporkz sent your way!

We’ve got four cupcake games coming up, in advance of Texas Tech and then a long break. What do you guys think we should actually work on during these games? The outcome will never be in doubt, they’re basically glorified practices. Do we sprinkle in some zone defense in case we ever need it down the road? So we try to expand the roles of the bench guys to help get them going? Or do we just continue playing our game and getting more reps in our usual sets?

? Lurch
    It is a little known fact that after his last tripping incident, Grayson was sent to speak with Ted Knight who had this to say to him:

Ted:
    Sit down, Grayson. Grayson, I think you know why you're here so I'll do us both the courtesy of not reviewing what happened yesterday (violently sweeps lamp off of his desk). Sorry. You know, despite what happened, I still think you have some very fine qualities and I think you can still become a gentleman someday if you understand and abide by the rules of decent society. Grayson...Grayson..there's a lot of..eh..badness in the world today, I see it in court everyday. I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber...didn't want to do it..felt I owed it to them. The most important decision you can make right now is what do you stand for Grayson...goodness or badness?"

Grayson:
    I know I've made some mistakes in the past. I'm willing to make up for that. I want to be good!

Ted:
    Good, good..very good. You know, I know how hard it is for you young people today and I want to help. Well, just ask my grandson, Spaulding, he and I are regular pals! Are you my pal...Mr Indefinite (one game) Suspension?

Grayson (warily):
    Yes, sir, I am your pal.

Ted (relieved laughing):
    How bout a Fresca?!? Hmm?

Perhaps we shouldn't make them angry . . . . .
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Stetson is #339 in KenPom. Both their offense and their defense are among the bottom 10% in all of college basketball. They play at a fairly fast pace though, 71st fastest in the game, so they won't mind running up and down the floor with us.

I'm gonna posit a guess right now that the line will be north of 40 points.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Is it true that Stetson is hiring Larry Fedora?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I wouldn't advisor it.

[QUOTE=JasonEvans;1104844]Stetson is #339 in KenPom. Both their offense and their defense are among the bottom 10% in all of college basketball. They play at a fairly fast pace though, 71st fastest in the game, so they won't mind running up and down the floor with us.

Good strategy playing fast, get the game over with quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Perhaps we shouldn't make them angry . . . . .
    Game threads are regularly Adventures in Wonderland.

Whoops

? Lurch
    Never mind!

But one of my classmates at Duke told me his mother had dated Ted Cassidy (of Lurch fame).

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    May not be able to top that one.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    May not be able to top that one.
    In any event, keep it under your hat.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    In any event, keep it under your hat.
    I'll keep a lid on it.

Stetson is based in DeLand, Florida, Birthplace of MLB Hall of Famer and Atlanta Brave Chipper Jones, who didn't attend college and was picked #1 in the 1990 MLB Draft.

Although Chipper never played HS basketball, (he played football), at 46 years old, Chipper is probably still a better athlete than anyone on the Hatters roster. He has four years of eligibility, but he wouldn't want game time to interfere with hunting season.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    It is a little known fact that after his last tripping incident, Grayson was sent to speak with Ted Knight who had this to say to him:

Ted:
    Sit down, Grayson. Grayson, I think you know why you're here so I'll do us both the courtesy of not reviewing what happened yesterday (violently sweeps lamp off of his desk). Sorry. You know, despite what happened, I still think you have some very fine qualities and I think you can still become a gentleman someday if you understand and abide by the rules of decent society. Grayson...Grayson..there's a lot of..eh..badness in the world today, I see it in court everyday. I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber...didn't want to do it..felt I owed it to them. The most important decision you can make right now is what do you stand for Grayson...goodness or badness?"

Grayson:
    I know I've made some mistakes in the past. I'm willing to make up for that. I want to be good!

Ted:
    Good, good..very good. You know, I know how hard it is for you young people today and I want to help. Well, just ask my grandson, Spaulding, he and I are regular pals! Are you my pal...Mr Indefinite (one game) Suspension?

Grayson (warily):
    Yes, sir, I am your pal.

Ted (relieved laughing):
    How bout a Fresca?!? Hmm?

maybe the crzies should should "nananananana" during free throws to help them go in
    April 1