Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    True...in that case you should have an issue with UVA boring fans to death?
    UVa has played Wisconsin two years in a row -- watching those games would be "cruel and unusual punishment" fo show.

For me, watching UVA basketball and watching the triple option in football is similar. I think both are very interesting throwbacks that focus on fundamentals, and when done well are really pretty. But I couldn't make a steady diet of either one.

If I were a UVa fan (and I'm not, when it comes to the state of Virginia my loyalty lies with the land grant university, Virginia Tech) and would have ZERO problems with their style of play. I've always been found of the saying, "Win cures all ills". UVa has proven one thing, they are very winning winners*

* cough umbc cough

If I were a UVa fan (and I'm not, when it comes to the state of Virginia my loyalty lies with the land grant university, Virginia Tech) and would have ZERO problems with their style of play. I've always been found of the saying, "Win cures all ills". UVa has proven one thing, they are very winning winners..
    [/SIZE]
    ...and the question is, if and when that winning slows down, what will the tolerance be for this style of play....which was Johnson's problem. The winning slowed down. Then the style became a bigger factor.

When a high speed exciting team loses a disappointing game, no one complains about the style of play. When a boring team loses a similarly disappointing game, the style is a big issue. Pretty much true in all sports BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I am a huge Monken fan. But I doubt GT sticks with the option. Most fans seem to think it is dull; limits recruiting; and limits the ability to win if you are down by more than a score late in the game.

Personally, I like seeing the option. But probably not every weekend.
    I'm with you. I will miss having the triple option in the ACC. Varity of styles adds interest that I enjoy.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    ...and the question is, if and when that winning slows down, what will the tolerance be for this style of play...which was Johnson's problem. The winning slowed down. Then the style became a bigger factor.

When a high speed exciting team loses a disappointing game, no one complains about the style of play. When a boring team loses a similarly disappointing game, the style is a big issue. Pretty much true in all sports BTW.
    I think the best example is Herb Sendek. Herb ran a truly boring offense (I don't think Packman will disagree). The biggest difference between Herb's tenure with State and Bennett's tenure at UVA so far is that one wins so it is embraced, while one was just meh so it was not.

I think the best example is Herb Sendek. Herb ran a truly boring offense (I don't think Packman will disagree). The biggest difference between Herb's tenure with State and Bennett's tenure at UVA so far is that one wins so it is embraced, while one was just meh so it was not.
    I was going to bring up old Herbus in my discussion but thought a state fan complaining about the best coach we've had in the past 25 years (not including the new guy) wasn't something worth the old wounds. Good lord we've had some stinker coaches. Thank goodness for Keatts.

As I said, winning cures all ills.

Herb never won anything of significance and that includes winning against Duke and Carolina on a regular basis.

Herb's offense was not the only thing boring about Herb. I mean, Herb himself was exhibit A...(he also helped Pitino decide NOT to put a man on Grant Hill with 2.1 seconds left...)

If I were a UVa fan (and I'm not, when it comes to the state of Virginia my loyalty lies with the land grant university, Virginia Tech) and would have ZERO problems with their style of play. I've always been found of the saying, "Win cures all ills". UVa has proven one thing, they are very winning winners
    I'm with you all the way, PackMan (I was delighted when VT beat UVA yet again in football).

I do not understand the very negative slant on the UVA basketball style on this board. Bennett coaches fundamental basketball and I for one am delighted that somebody still does that in this age of video hot takes. I personally find that style of basketball entertaining and refreshing. Then again, I know I'm a dinosaur regarding many things.