Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Zion picks Nike (Jordan Brand)

I am looking to see what the number is... I bet it is well north of $10 mil per season.

https://news.nike.com/news/zion-williamson-jordan-brand

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'm actually relieved that he chose Nike, despite the shoe issue that cost us a cheater game. If Zion is to become the next great thing, I feel like he can't go second string on his endorsements. I saw something today that mentioned that Puma was making him a huge offer and I was hoping he wouldn't fall for it.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I'm actually relieved that he chose Nike, despite the shoe issue that cost us a cheater game. If Zion is to become the next great thing, I feel like he can't go second string on his endorsements. I saw something today that mentioned that Puma was making him a huge offer and I was hoping he wouldn't fall for it.
    And, upon further review I take that back. I'm not happy that he joined the "Jordan Brand" as opposed to just "Nike". 9F

99% or more of whether Zion is the next great thing will be determined by how he plays on the court.

One thing I've disliked about the discussion around here about Zion is the seeming assumption that he's going to turn into a superstar player. Too much looking down at Puma, the city of New Orleans, the Pelicans franchise, etc, as if they're beneath him. The ironic thing is that Zion himself strikes me as humble enough to realize that's not the case (even if he *does* turn into a superstar).

Anyway, let's see Zion develop into a great NBA player first.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    99% or more of whether Zion is the next great thing will be determined by how he plays on the court.

One thing I've disliked about the discussion around here about Zion is the seeming assumption that he's going to turn into a superstar player. Too much looking down at Puma, the city of New Orleans, the Pelicans franchise, etc, as if they're beneath him. The ironic thing is that Zion himself strikes me as humble enough to realize that's not the case (even if he *does* turn into a superstar).

I agree that if Zion is going to be the next great it'll come from his play on the court. But to reach MJ, LBJ levels you need the whole package (game, endorsements, community, branding, image, etc). He's well on his way (amazing for a guy his age). Puma is just not at the MJ/LBJ level. I'm not saying that's right, it's just true.

Zion is humble and it's great and I hope he plays up to the hype.

So conflicted - want to support Zion but can’t bring myself to buy Jordans. What are Duke fans supposed to do?

Congrats to Z on the deal!

I agree that if Zion is going to be the next great it'll come from his play on the court. But to reach MJ, LBJ levels you need the whole package (game, endorsements, community, branding, image, etc). He's well on his way (amazing for a guy his age). Puma is just not at the MJ/LBJ level. I'm not saying that's right, it's just true.

Zion is humble and it's great and I hope he plays up to the hype.
    Agreed. I wish all Duke players well and the ability to live up to their potential but, quite selfishly, I wish it for Zion a bit more because he's just so damn fun to watch on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post

Agree with this. I think Zion will be a really really good NBA player, but it remains to be seen whether he will be great (as it would be with anyone). Maybe Kanter meant is as a negative, but am I the only one who thinks "Julius Randle with hops" is actually a good thing? I mean- that would be a crazy good player imo.

I can't wait for Jordan to put out a Zion signature show in a Duke colorway.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I am looking to see what the number is... I bet it is well north of $10 mil per season.

https://news.nike.com/news/zion-williamson-jordan-brand

I won't buy anything with the current Nike "jumpman" logo on it.

Hopefully, this is Nike providing a nice segue into a new, more powerful "jumpman" logo!

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    Agree with this. I think Zion will be a really really good NBA player, but it remains to be seen whether he will be great (as it would be with anyone). Maybe Kanter meant is as a negative, but am I the only one who thinks "Julius Randle with hops" is actually a good thing? I mean- that would be a crazy good player imo.
    Yeah Randle with hops would be amazing!
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

It cost a heck of a lot more than one game vs. The cheaters. I think it cost us at least 1 and likely 2 banners. The lingering effects of the nike shoe debacle still ripple through Joey Baker's remaining years of eligibility.

Super. Great company.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    So conflicted - want to support Zion but can’t bring myself to buy Jordans. What are Duke fans supposed to do?

Congrats to Z on the deal!
    Buy Kyries? Specifically this colorway.

shrug. curry does alright for himself...he could have put puma on the map. If he's great, it won't matter if he's wearing starbury's. If he is a flop, no shoe is going to help. Nike wasn't much until jordan came along, and UA exploded in the bball market with curry. Someone has to be first, and at 10+ million a year, there aren't too many wrong answers.
    1200. DDMF.

I don't keep up with the sneaker world. Can someone give a simple explanation of the relationship between Nike and Jordan Brand Nike, apart from the obvious MJ connection to Jordan Brand?

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    I don't keep up with the sneaker world. Can someone give a simple explanation of the relationship between Nike and Jordan Brand Nike, apart from the obvious MJ connection to Jordan Brand?
    it means he isn't worth enough right now to have his own signature line.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    shrug. curry does alright for himself...he could have put puma on the map. If he's great, it won't matter if he's wearing starbury's. If he is a flop, no shoe is going to help. Nike wasn't much until jordan came along, and UA exploded in the bball market with curry. Someone has to be first, and at 10+ million a year, there aren't too many wrong answers.
    Yea don’t think shoe company endorsements make the player more prominent. I’m actually disappointed he didn’t go outside the norm and go with Puma or someone else. Zion is bigger than Nike🌎

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Yea don’t think shoe company endorsements make the player more prominent. I’m actually disappointed he didn’t go outside the norm and go with Puma or someone else. Zion is bigger than Nike🌎
    None of us know how much the various shoe companies were offering him, but, assuming they were all approximately in the same ballpark, I guessing his "advisers" told him to go with "blue chip" brand. More marketing power and brand recognition goes a long way in today's world.

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    Buy Kyries? Specifically this colorway.
    I hate Nike and try to never buy their products, BUT I like that shoe!