Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mack is Back

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    With Fedora and their schedule, I felt UNC could get 3-4 wins next year, score 30+ PPG, and give up 35+ PPG. They didn't quit on him but were an awfully constructed football team. With Mack and an all-star list of assistants, I think they could get 3-4 wins next year, score 30+ PPG, and give up 34+ PPG. The thought has to be that Mack can recruit enough of a normal football team in 2-3 years to attract Satterfield home to Orange County once he can move his family. He might be the only person that can temporarily push them above their peers like IL, KS, and IN on the field. We need to hope Satterfield gets an offer from a real football program in the interim.
    N&O, Luke Decock has already said 8 wins next year is achievable even if the coach is Charley Brown. My guess up is they will predict a Coastal Division title for the Cheats.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    N&O, Luke Decock has already said 8 wins next year is achievable even if the coach is Charley Brown. My guess up is they will predict a Coastal Division title for the Cheats.
    The rings have already been ordered.

However, the “I survived Larry Fedora” t-shirts are not selling as quickly as first thought.

My memory could be off about this but...weren't Carolina fans pretty P.O.' ed at 'Ol Mack when he dumped them for UT just after making them relevant again? I'm from NC and recall a fair amount of animosity toward him back in the day. And, as others have pointed out, rampant academic fraud (cheating) started while Brown was there. Plus, the very idea that someone like Julius Peppers belonged at a school that purports to be rigorous academically is a joke. Just goes to show that they really do have no shame in Chapel Hill. 9F!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    My memory could be off about this but...weren't Carolina fans pretty P.O.' ed at 'Ol Mack when he dumped them for UT just after making them relevant again? I'm from NC and recall a fair amount of animosity toward him back in the day. And, as others have pointed out, rampant academic fraud (cheating) started while Brown was there. Plus, the very idea that someone like Julius Peppers belonged at a school that purports to be rigorous academically is a joke. Just goes to show that they really do have no shame in Chapel Hill. 9F!
    No your memory is on the money about the cheats fans when Mack left. David Glenn went on and on about just that yesterday.

Words fail me:

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-new...ack/1621779813

I'll omit the photo-you'll have to click on the link yourself-if you dare.

Pretty crass deed that goes way beyond the pale.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Words fail me:

I blame Silent Sam.

Just someone getting a head start on UNC's summer reading program this year.

"The Origin of Feces: What Excrement Tells Us About Evolution, Ecology, and a Sustainable Society by David Waltner-Toews"
    https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the...ews/1113730505

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    ...wonder if the Ravenscroft billionaire who got Davis hired is still pulling the strings over there...
    Hey, Cho Chang and Luna Lovegood were both in Ravenclaw.

Wait... nevermind.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    https://twitter.com/statefansnation/...88141507964929

@statefansnation
    Mack Brown at UNC
    88 / 1-10
    89 / 1-10
    90 / 6-4
    91 / 7-4
    92 / 9-3
    97 / 11-1

AFAM. Born in 1992.

------------------

Don't forget one of his last recruits, Julius Peppers took a 400 level english course before ever setting foot on campus. Carolina didn't get that good by following the rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    In fairness to Brown, IIRC the fraud numbers were low as a percentage of the football players (total numbers comparable to basketball players) while he was there. The academic cheating really took off in football after he left. Of course, maybe that just means he was "wise" enough to keep things discreet by limiting the number of players involved.

The point is, what success he had he likely achieved without the full advantages had by the mid-00s coaches.

Pretty good column in The Washington Post by Barry Svrluga about the Mack Brown hiring.

Words fail me:

Ozzie do this?

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Ozzie do this?
    I sit pretty close to him on Mt. Hatemore and know him pretty well but I'll still check, thinking it'd be highly unlikely even Ozzie would perform such a foul deed.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Words fail me:

Who dropped a unc diploma in the old well? Oh well.

The Old Bidet...

It will be interesting. Make no mistake, Mack Brown is no longer an X's and O's guy at any sort of granular level. Sure he'll decide between 1 and 2 pts and whether to go for it on 4th, but he will likely hire coordinators that will have full control of his offense (I am hearing Kliff Kingsbury and Gene Chizik could both be in the works).

In addition to Kingsbury, a recruiting whiz like David Beatty could be in play. I assume he is going to build a very good coaching staff. But I can't imagine Mack is going to be "killing himself on the recruiting trail" as he claimed while he was exiting Texas (narrator: he wasn't). So his hires are going to have to be the ones putting in the hours.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    It will be interesting. Make no mistake, Mack Brown is no longer an X's and O's guy at any sort of granular level. Sure he'll decide between 1 and 2 pts and whether to go for it on 4th, but he will likely hire coordinators that will have full control of his offense (I am hearing Kliff Kingsbury and Gene Chizik could both be in the works).
    Good Lord, two natty winners on the same staff? Plus a recognized offensive guru and ladykiller? That's some payroll for empty seats in Kenan...

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post

In addition to Kingsbury, a recruiting whiz like David Beatty could be in play. I assume he is going to build a very good coaching staff. But I can't imagine Mack is going to be "killing himself on the recruiting trail" as he claimed while he was exiting Texas (narrator: he wasn't). So his hires are going to have to be the ones putting in the hours.
    A-Tex, I was hoping you would weigh in. Did Mack put in less effort towards the end at Texas. As a UNC fan, I am both intrigued by Mack's record in his previous stint in Chapel Hill and somewhat concerned that he isn't up to the task at hand. I have to imagine he'll win more games next year than Fedora did the last two combined (5).

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Good Lord, two natty winners on the same staff? Plus a recognized offensive guru and ladykiller? That's some payroll for empty seats in Kenan...
    Next is hiring Frank Beamer to coach the special teams. I heard some announcer say one time that Beamer personally coached the special teams at VaTech ....
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by chris13 View Post
    A-Tex, I was hoping you would weigh in. Did Mack put in less effort towards the end at Texas. As a UNC fan, I am both intrigued by Mack's record in his previous stint in Chapel Hill and somewhat concerned that he isn't up to the task at hand. I have to imagine he'll win more games next year than Fedora did the last two combined (5).
    Mack made a habit of locking up his recruiting class as juniors, which was a somewhat groundbreaking tactic at the time (early to mid aughts), and generated some stellar classes (the VY class may be a top 3 class of all time). But then, I think, this tactic made him lazy in recruiting. He would only give offers if he was certain he was going to get a commitment, and this led to a lot of scholarships to guys that peaked in high school (the Texas O-Line draft drought is testament to that). Honestly, it also was less work to recruit, outside the 3 or 4 4-5 stars you knew from outset were going to hold out until signing day. Mack and his staff weren't finding the kids that peak senior year because the class was filled out. They weren't offering a ton of out of state talent because (1) there was an assumption Texas HS football was sufficient (it wasn't, especially at the non-skill positions), and (2) that would lead to offers that weren't committed to, which Mack didn't like.

So in my view, the recruiting tactics that gave Texas an advantage early in Mack's reign created a complacency and laziness near the end. The talent development and the draft results in Mack's last several years bear that out.

I think he'll have a lot of energy early on, but UNC's success under MB will have more to do with who Mack hires than Mack.