Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mack is Back

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Amazing that he feels he can muster the energy to start the recruiting process again. UNC will likely pay a ton for assistant coaches who will likely do the heavy lifting.
    The history of these sorts of "second acts", i.e. a coach who previously took a program to great heights returning, is mixed at best. Think John Robinson, Bill Snyder and (ahem) Bobby Petrino. Suggests that the program will improve under Mack (not a high bar), but won't get back to its mid 90s peak.

Once is not enough, recycle.

RubbermaidBin.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Colt McCoy ain't walking through that door.

I'm perfectly happy with a 67 year old dude who has not been on the sidelines in 5 years being tasked with breathing new life and excitement into the Carolina program.
    I misread this as "excrement" and it still made sense. Not embarrassed by my error.

Can we rename the thread? I prefer CrazyNotCrazie's title (and YouTube link to) "Return of the Mack" because any song with the refrain "You lied to me" is worth remembering:

Quote Originally Posted by hudlow View Post
    Once is not enough, recycle.

RubbermaidBin.jpg
    Can you find an image of a blue recycling dumpster set afire?

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

Can you find an image of a blue recycling dumpster set afire?
    I'm waiting on tomorrow's paper.

Ah hahahahaahahha...

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Can we rename the thread? I prefer CrazyNotCrazie's title (and YouTube link to) "Return of the Mack" because any song with the refrain "You lied to me" is worth remembering
    Mack the Strife? (pretty lame)

From the timing of things, it feels like they had this planned prior to firing Fedora and did not even consider any other candidates. Which would be absurd if true. I’m pretty happy with this hire, it’s comparable to the Bill Guthridge hire in the sense that there is no long term future, they had no better options, and it reeks of nepotism.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Because no other schools do that so if they want to be competitive in the market to hire a coach, that is not an option. I'm sure there are standard clauses where they don't have to pay if the coach breaks the law or something like that, but bad coaching does not excuse them. The market for college football coaches has gotten completely out of control. And one can argue that over the course of his time at UNC, Fedora's performance was not that awful - it is just the end. From what I read, they were smart enough to include some form of offset language where if Fedora gets a new job as a coach or working on TV, that salary would be deducted from his severance payment.
    I think many coaches are such egoists, taking credit for things that might be more luck, or players, or assistant work, that they would be willing to sign incentivized contracts, like "You get 2 million a year, if the year before you went 10-2 and 1.5 if you went 8-3 and so on. That would sure help minimize the risk of giving someone a long term expensive contract on the basis of one good year.
    Some might scoff at this idea, but I remember how crazy everyone thought I was about 15 years ago, for suggesting a college football playoff that rotated among the major bowls...so who knows?

Here’s an entertaining take:

https://www.burntorangenation.com/20...to-chapel-hill

My favorite quote:

“What UNC’s athletic director Bubba Cunningham is doing this morning is digging the grave that Texas has spent the last ten years trying to climb out.”

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    From the timing of things, it feels like they had this planned prior to firing Fedora and did not even consider any other candidates. Which would be absurd if true. I’m pretty happy with this hire, it’s comparable to the Bill Guthridge hire in the sense that there is no long term future, they had no better options, and it reeks of nepotism.
    Oh I think you're right about all of that...because you don't get a coach out of retirement on a quick whim. Multiple weeks in the works I would say. Then again, WRAL and ESPN will only say "reports" have him back...no confirmation. Is this big false flag?
    Last edited by HereBeforeCoachK; 11-26-2018 at 04:01 PM.

sooooo, maybe not a done deal...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

#gofundmebringbackmack

NCSU and Duke fans on board with this one?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Perfect Fit

Mack is a perfect for UNC. It is perfect storm of bureaucrats, boosters, and b players. Bubba Cunningham and Mack Brown are mere tools of the Rams Club.

Quote Originally Posted by SamHouston View Post
    Mack is a perfect for UNC. It is perfect storm of bureaucrats, boosters, and b players. Bubba Cunningham and Mack Brown are mere tools of the Rams Club.
    Can a bag fall under the definition of "tool?:

Quote Originally Posted by SamHouston View Post
    ...wonder if the Ravenscroft billionaire who got Davis hired is still pulling the strings over there...

Mack redux?

The Cheaters are marrying their ex-wife, but she is not the hot 45yo they cried for when she left them.

Mack never read Thomas Wolfe.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I’m pretty happy with this hire, it’s comparable to the Bill Guthridge hire in the sense that there is no long term future, they had no better options, and it reeks of nepotism.
    With Fedora and their schedule, I felt UNC could get 3-4 wins next year, score 30+ PPG, and give up 35+ PPG. They didn't quit on him but were an awfully constructed football team. With Mack and an all-star list of assistants, I think they could get 3-4 wins next year, score 30+ PPG, and give up 34+ PPG. The thought has to be that Mack can recruit enough of a normal football team in 2-3 years to attract Satterfield home to Orange County once he can move his family. He might be the only person that can temporarily push them above their peers like IL, KS, and IN on the field. We need to hope Satterfield gets an offer from a real football program in the interim.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    With Fedora and their schedule, I felt UNC could get 3-4 wins next year, score 30+ PPG, and give up 35+ PPG. They didn't quit on him but were an awfully constructed football team. With Mack and an all-star list of assistants, I think they could get 3-4 wins next year, score 30+ PPG, and give up 34+ PPG. The thought has to be that Mack can recruit enough of a normal football team in 2-3 years to attract Satterfield home to Orange County once he can move his family. He might be the only person that can temporarily push them above their peers like IL, KS, and IN on the field. We need to hope Satterfield gets an offer from a real football program in the interim.
    https://twitter.com/statefansnation/...88141507964929

@statefansnation
    Mack Brown at UNC
    88 / 1-10
    89 / 1-10
    90 / 6-4
    91 / 7-4
    92 / 9-3
    97 / 11-1

AFAM. Born in 1992.

------------------

Don't forget one of his last recruits, Julius Peppers took a 400 level english course before ever setting foot on campus. Carolina didn't get that good by following the rules.

A bunch of the articles on this keep pointing out that Mack needs 4 wins at UNC to become their all time leader. I sincerely wish he achieves that goal...11/19/2022, against ETSU.