Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mack is Back

Mack is Back

Interesting choice...he knows the area and can bring some good assistants with him. Probably won't take them to new heights though.

https://247sports.com/college/north-...all-125364206/

Return of the Mack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB1D9wWxd2w

I assume this was in the works for a while if they hired him so quickly. I'm not a fan of Mack on TV so at least I won't have to watch him anymore, though there are also plenty of worse people on TV. He has great experience but this is obviously a short term move.

I've always liked Coach Brown. From his days at App State through his Longhorn days. The ACC will have two southern gentleman roaming the sidelines(Cut & Mack) next season and both elder statesmen.

Personal note; I'll still root against the cheats every game. GoDuke!

I hope the cheats get this mack brown:

1988 north c*rolina 1–10 1–6 7th
    1989 north c*rolina 1–10 0–7 8th

Not the later mack brown.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

Unfortunately it'll probably be the latter. But he and the team can still GO TO HELL!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Mack is a good coach. At 66 years old, though, that's kind of late to be starting a program up from scratch.

As dd indicates, he had a tough first two years after taking over a struggling program. He sure turned it around though.

UNC has upped their game, although to be frank about any hire would fit that description. The Hat was deliciously and uniquely awful.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

IIRC, 1988 and 1989 prompted the following joke from Duke and/or NCSU fans:

Q: Why did mack brown win the Nobel Prize?

A: For finding a cure for c*rolina fever.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Mack is a good coach. At 66 years old, though, that's kind of late to be starting a program up from scratch.

As dd indicates, he had a tough first two years after taking over a struggling program. He sure turned it around though.

UNC has upped their game, although to be frank about any hire would fit that description. The Hat was deliciously and uniquely awful.
    Now the Cheat's coach is older than Dukes...I am much happier about them hiring Mack as opposed to Satterfield. That could have been a 20 year nightmare....Mack won't stay more than 5 IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Now the Cheat's coach is older than Dukes...I am much happier about them hiring Mack as opposed to Satterfield. That could have been a 20 year nightmare...Mack won't stay more than 5 IMO.
    I agree. And I think both he and UNC are underestimating how hard it is for a coach, at his age, to be away from the day-to-day operations of a program for half a decade and then come back. Never mind that he's been away because he badly underperformed for four straight years at a school that had every conceivable advantage (it's easy to forget what the U.T. name was circa 2009, not far off their natty and before Alabama became what it is today). You do have to acknowledge that he led them to that national championship as well, but I just don't see lots of success on the horizon at "U"NC.

If anything, I suspect this is a money-saving move for them given what they'll have to pay The Hat.

Wasn’t he famously quoted as saying he would never leave UNC, just days before accepting the Texas position?

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    If anything, I suspect this is a money-saving move for them given what they'll have to pay The Hat.
    The whole thing is a disgusting waste of taxpayer dollars. How can they sign guaranteed contracts without performance standards against which they can hold an employee accountable?
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Wasn’t he famously quoted as saying he would never leave UNC, just days before accepting the Texas position?
    He didn’t give a &#%! about Texas...

My UNC friends aren’t happy about the return of the Mack.
    He is an average coach at best. As a Duke fan, I’m happy Mack is back, but his voice drives me crazy!

Colt McCoy ain't walking through that door.

I'm perfectly happy with a 67 year old dude who has not been on the sidelines in 5 years being tasked with breathing new life and excitement into the Carolina program.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    The whole thing is a disgusting waste of taxpayer dollars. How can they sign guaranteed contracts without performance standards against which they can hold an employee accountable?
    Because no other schools do that so if they want to be competitive in the market to hire a coach, that is not an option. I'm sure there are standard clauses where they don't have to pay if the coach breaks the law or something like that, but bad coaching does not excuse them. The market for college football coaches has gotten completely out of control. And one can argue that over the course of his time at UNC, Fedora's performance was not that awful - it is just the end. From what I read, they were smart enough to include some form of offset language where if Fedora gets a new job as a coach or working on TV, that salary would be deducted from his severance payment.

$12 million in hush money...

I am sure that Bubba, Mack and the Rams Club will do what ever is necessary........

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    I am sure that Bubba, Mack and the Rams Club will do what ever is necessary...
    Mack was there as the cheating began and spread from basketball to football... hmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Colt McCoy ain't walking through that door.

I'm perfectly happy with a 67 year old dude who has not been on the sidelines in 5 years being tasked with breathing new life and excitement into the Carolina program.
    Amazing that he feels he can muster the energy to start the recruiting process again. UNC will likely pay a ton for assistant coaches who will likely do the heavy lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Mack was there as the cheating began and spread from basketball to football... hmmmmm
    dean knew

roy knew...