Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    You are correct that the Metro never had football, but it was a fairly good basketball conference. Louisville was in it as was Ga Tech (though Tech was lousy at basketball back then). Memphis St was a real powerhouse member of the Metro.
    UNCC had a few solid years in that conference too.

You are correct that the Metro never had football, but it was a fairly good basketball conference. Louisville was in it as was Ga Tech (though Tech was lousy at basketball back then). Memphis St was a real powerhouse member of the Metro.
    I had forgotten that Memphis and Tech were in it....come to think of it, wasn't VT in it for a while? Seems to me I remember people making fun of Blacksburg as a "metro" area...

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Will be interesting to see how that one turns out. The game is at Maryland, which is why the line is down to 3. That implies a neutral site game between those two teams would be around 7 pts. Perhaps not coincidentally UVA just beat Dayton and Wisco both neutral by, you guessed it, 7 pts.

My gut is inclined to agree with you. But objectively, 3 is the right number.

- Chillin
    I'm not sure what to expect, and I watch most UVa games at least twice. ; - ) Early on, it looked like Bennett was experimenting a lot (hangover from last year's last game?), both on offense and defense. There was a bit more fast break and a lot more 3/4 court press. The fast break has tailed off lately, though the 3/4 court press continues, coupled with in-your-chest defense on the opposing team's primary ballhandler by Kihei Clark (held Trice, Wisconsin high-scoring PG, to 5 points). Salt looks like he's taken Wilkins' defensive role (Happ was 4-11 when guarded by Salt, 7-8 when guarded by the rest of the team).

Bennett has his first seven: Jerome, Guy, Hunter, Salt, Key, Clark, and Diakite. Huff had been getting some burn (but not against Wisconsin), followed by Anthony (again, not against Wisconsin). I'm guessing that hold true to form against Maryland.

IMO, if Maryland were still in the ACC, this game would be dripping with bad blood and a pick 'em. As it stands, I think UVa wins by 8-12 but, since it's a home game for Maryland...

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    The Darius Garland injury, while very disappointing for the projected lottery pick and, by every indication, all-around good guy, is good news for the Wolfpack this week. Sometimes these types of injuries can galvanize a team, but it's tough to imagine they'll be a tougher opponent without their best player.

For background (although not directly ACC-related), Garland has a torn meniscus, which typically takes 4-6wks to heal. Jimmy Butler tore his last season and returned almost exactly at the 6wk mark.
    Unfortunate (and peripheral to the thread...apologies) follow-up: Darius Garland has now been ruled out for the season with his meniscus tear. Originally believed to be a 4-6wk recovery, Vandy's coach has said that he had successful knee surgery. My hunch is that with rest & rehab, he may have made it back (a la Jimmy Butler), but surgery ends the season (although is likely better for his long-term prognosis). Tough blow for a nice player. His lottery/first round prospects seem less sure now than a week ago, clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Unfortunate (and peripheral to the thread...apologies) follow-up: Darius Garland has now been ruled out for the season with his meniscus tear. Originally believed to be a 4-6wk recovery, Vandy's coach has said his injury is season-ending. Tough blow for a great player. His lottery/first round prospects seem less sure now than a week ago, clearly. Really tough news for hoops fans, even outside of Nashville.
    Very sorry to hear that. Best of luck with a full recovery and productive rehab.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I had forgotten that Memphis and Tech were in it...come to think of it, wasn't VT in it for a while? Seems to me I remember people making fun of Blacksburg as a "metro" area...
    Ha, there were a few other schools in there, too. Cincinnati was in there, and one other school I can think of from Louisiana 😜.

When I was there in the mid 80s there were quite a few hoop stars. In addition to the Louisville teams, Keith Lee was a multi-all conference player for Memphis State. (now, back to your regularly scheduled 2018 thread)

Louisville off to good start.

Va Tech losing to Penn State... bad for the league, bad for VaTech's NCAA chances, just bad bad bad bad.

We ain't winning the challenge this year, I think. I'm not sure it matters all that much if one league wins 8-6 or maybe even 9-5. If it gets to 10-4 or worse, that can be seen as compelling evidence that one league is vastly superior to the other and could come into play for bubble teams at tourney time.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Va Tech losing to Penn State... bad for the league, bad for VaTech's NCAA chances, just bad bad bad bad.
    Well...we could wait for the scores to go final.

Penn State misses the the front end of two one and ones in the final minute to crap it away.

With the help of google, today I learned Penn State’s original colours were pink and black.

Yep

We ain't winning the challenge this year, I think. I'm not sure it matters all that much if one league wins 8-6 or maybe even 9-5. If it gets to 10-4 or worse, that can be seen as compelling evidence that one league is vastly superior to the other and could come into play for bubble teams at tourney time.
    VPI goes down by 1. Maybe they can have their usual bubble spot, like they always did with Greenberg?

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    VPI goes down by 1. Maybe they can have their usual bubble spot, like they always did with Greenberg?
    ...and they always do it by gagging in the early season before they have their fantasy island super bowl biggest moment of life ever against Duke....before they drop through the bubble yet again. So predictable.

ND survives by 2

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    ND survives by 2
    meanwhile, the officials are trying to get Mich State by UL...

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    meanwhile, the officials are trying to get Mich State by UL...
    Michigan State goes down.

ACC goes up 3-2.

State fighting it out with Wisky, up 1 with 3 minutes to go.
    Pitt and Iowa in a battle as well with Iowa having a 3 point edge with 4 to go.

Pitt goes down by 1.
    State misses a three for the win and loses by 2.

Duke shouldn't have hoarded all the baskets for their own tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Nah, they'll play like ACC/National champs when we play them with Buzz flailing and sweating on the court, out of the coaches' box for at least half the game with no T.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Pitt goes down by 1.
    State misses a three for the win and loses by 2.

Duke shouldn't have hoarded all the baskets for their own tonight.
    ACC with a big lead in total points ...

Wow, talk about overreaction. ACC is 4-4 and favored tonight on 3 of the 5 games. I expect (hope) this challenge is wrapped up before Cheats lose big to Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    ACC with a big lead in total points ...
    So if there is a tie breaker, we’re looking good on goal differential!