Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

This Week in the ACC: 11/26-12/2

Not a banner series of pre-season tournaments for the ACC - Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Boston College are your only winners. Now we head right into the ACC/B1G with the ACC a slight favorite to repeat (conveniently, the Wake Forest team that lost to Houston Baptist is sitting this one out).

Monday

[24]Clemson (-4) hosts [31]Nebraska (7:00, ESPN2)
    [71]Boston College (-1) hosts [45]Minnesota (9:00, ESPN2)

Tuesday

[126]Wake Forest (-16) hosts [324]Western Carolina (7:00, ACCNE)
    [16]Virginia Tech (-1) at [38]Penn State (7:00, ESPN2)
    [52]Notre Dame (-7) hosts [95]Illinois (7:00, ESPNU)
    [59]Louisville (+5) hosts [8]Michigan State (7:30, ESPN)
    [119]Pittsburgh (+13) at [32]Iowa (9:00, ESPNU)
    [35]NC State (+8) at [12]Wisconsin (9:00, ESPN2)
    [1]Duke (-11) hosts [22]Indiana (9:30, ESPN)

Wednesday

[20]Syracuse (+3) at [26]Ohio State (7:15, ESPN2)
    [23]Miami (-13) hosts [114]Rutgers (7:15, ESPNU)
    [3]Virginia (-3) at [33]Maryland (7:30, ESPN)
    [14]Florida State (-3) hosts [13]Purdue (9:15, ESPN2)
    [77]Georgia Tech (+7) at [46]Northwestern (9:15, ESPNU)
    [4]North Carolina (+2) at [7]Michigan (9:30, ESPN)

Thursday

[71]Boston College (-19) hosts [318]Sacred Heart (7:00, ACCNE)

Friday

[119]Pittsburgh (-2) vs. [152]Duquesne in Pittsburgh (7:00, ACCNE)

Saturday

[77]Georgia Tech (+3) vs. [44] St. John's in Miami (12:00, ESPNU)
    [59]Louisville (+3) at [54]Seton Hall (12:00, FOX)
    [16]Virginia Tech (-22) hosts [242]Central Connecticut (5:00, ACCNE)
    [35]NC State (-5) hosts [64]Vanderbilt (5:00, ESPN2)
    [1]Duke (-38) hosts [339]Stetson (7:00, ESPN2)
    [126]Wake Forest (+1) at [181]Richmond (7:30)
    [23]Miami (-12) vs. [116]Yale in Miami (7:30, ESPN3)
    [20]Syracuse (-23) hosts [256]Cornell (8:00, ESPNU)

Sunday is dark

ACC Non-Conference: 71-14
    ACC vs. Power 5: 10-8

America East: 2-0
    American: 2-1
    Atlantic-10: 5-1
    Atlantic Sun: 1-0
    Big XII: 0-1
    Big East: 1-4
    Big Sky: 1-0
    Big South: 2-1
    Big Ten: 2-0
    Big West: 1-0
    Colon5al: 4-0
    CUSA: 2-0
    Horizon: 3-1
    MAC: 3-0
    MEAC: 5-0
    MVC: 2-0
    MWC: 3-0
    Northeast: 6-0
    Ohio Valley: 2-0
    Pac-12: 2-1
    Patriot: 2-1
    SEC: 3-2
    Southern: 6-0
    Southland: 5-1
    Sun Belt: 1-0
    SWAC: 2-0
    WAC: 2-0
    WCC: 0-1
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

For Duke fans that care about the outcome of the ACC-Big 10 challenge, the ACC has to rack up 8 wins before the ending of the UNC-Michigan game, which is the last game on the last night. Now, I expect you to root for Michigan regardless, even if the ACC is trailing 6-7 and will take a loss in the Challenge if UNC loses. Just saying, that's what we're looking at -- gotta win 8 out of 13 games by then, which makes every game extremely important, even the two tonight. If the ACC doesn't go 2-0 tonight, I'm not liking our chances of winning this Challenge.

(BTW, there's a chance that any previous talk of racking up 8 wins will look pretty silly by the end of this challenge...)

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    For Duke fans that care about the outcome of the ACC-Big 10 challenge, the ACC has to rack up 8 wins before the ending of the UNC-Michigan game, which is the last game on the last night. Now, I expect you to root for Michigan regardless, even if the ACC is trailing 6-7 and will take a loss in the Challenge if UNC loses. Just saying, that's what we're looking at -- gotta win 8 out of 13 games by then, which makes every game extremely important, even the two tonight. If the ACC doesn't go 2-0 tonight, I'm not liking our chances of winning this Challenge.

(BTW, there's a chance that any previous talk of racking up 8 wins will look pretty silly by the end of this challenge...)
    9F. Go Xichigan. If the ACC loses the challenge with a cheats loss, so be it. Then it means for eternity, we can heap burning coals and pastures full of bovine droppings on their scornful but deserving heads.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I know The ACC is the slight betting favorite, but I do not like these home/road matchups. I'd be surprised if the ACC repeats. And I will be rooting for Michigan regardless.

I have no idea how NC State will do this week with Wisky and Vandy both on the schedule, but I do know when the week ends we will no longer have the nations wimpiest schedule played.

Expecting a split, but hoping for more.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I have no idea how NC State will do this week with Wisky and Vandy both on the schedule, but I do know when the week ends we will no longer have the nations wimpiest schedule played.

Expecting a split, but hoping for more.
    The Darius Garland injury, while very disappointing for the projected lottery pick and, by every indication, all-around good guy, is good news for the Wolfpack this week. Sometimes these types of injuries can galvanize a team, but it's tough to imagine they'll be a tougher opponent without their best player.

For background (although not directly ACC-related), Garland has a torn meniscus, which typically takes 4-6wks to heal. Jimmy Butler tore his last season and returned almost exactly at the 6wk mark.

Challenge thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Monday

[24]Clemson (-4) hosts [31]Nebraska (7:00, ESPN2)
    [71]Boston College (-1) hosts [45]Minnesota (9:00, ESPN2)

Tuesday

[16]Virginia Tech (-1) at [38]Penn State (7:00, ESPN2)
    [52]Notre Dame (-7) hosts [95]Illinois (7:00, ESPNU)
    [59]Louisville (+5) hosts [8]Michigan State (7:30, ESPN)
    [119]Pittsburgh (+13) at [32]Iowa (9:00, ESPNU)
    [35]NC State (+8) at [12]Wisconsin (9:00, ESPN2)
    [1]Duke (-11) hosts [22]Indiana (9:30, ESPN)

Wednesday

[20]Syracuse (+3) at [26]Ohio State (7:15, ESPN2)
    [23]Miami (-13) hosts [114]Rutgers (7:15, ESPNU)
    [3]Virginia (-3) at [33]Maryland (7:30, ESPN)
    [14]Florida State (-3) hosts [13]Purdue (9:15, ESPN2)
    [77]Georgia Tech (+7) at [46]Northwestern (9:15, ESPNU)
    [4]North Carolina (+2) at [7]Michigan (9:30, ESPN)
    So, looking at the projected lines, the ACC is favored in 8 of the matches. Among those are BC and Va Tech as narrow 1 point favorites. Virginia and FSU are also small 3-point picks. On the other side, the Big Ten has Michigan as a 2 point favorite and Ohio St at a 3 point pick.

But, one of the close lines seems really off to me. Virginia is just a 3 point pick over Maryland? I'll take the Cavs and those points every day of the week. Maryland hasn't played anybody even remotely decent yet (Navy? Hofstra?) and there's just no way they are ready to take on the Cavs defense. I was frustrated by Virginia's continued offensive ineptitude against Wisconsin, but it won't matter against Maryland, Virginia wins that game by double-digits.

Several of the games are bad mismatches. Rutgers will get killed by Miami. Pitt is going to be squashed by an Iowa team that is much better than preseason projections. I have a hard time seeing how Indiana will stay within 15 or 20 points of Duke.

Lastly, putting our emotions aside, how can you not be excited for the Michigan - UNC game? The Heels have one of the top scoring offenses in the game (96.6 ppg, #3 in KenPom) and Michigan has perhaps the nation's top defense (48.3 ppg allowed, #1 in KenPom). It will be fascinating to see which wins out.

-Jason "I see the ACC winning 8 games, but won't be shocked if the B10 pulls off the win this season" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Lastly, putting our emotions aside, how can you not be excited for the Michigan - UNC game?
    I have not forgiven Michigan for 1993.

So, looking at the projected lines, the ACC is favored in 8 of the matches. Among those are BC and Va Tech as narrow 1 point favorites. Virginia and FSU are also small 3-point picks. On the other side, the Big Ten has Michigan as a 2 point favorite and Ohio St at a 3 point pick.

But, one of the close lines seems really off to me. Virginia is just a 3 point pick over Maryland? I'll take the Cavs and those points every day of the week. Maryland hasn't played anybody even remotely decent yet (Navy? Hofstra?) and there's just no way they are ready to take on the Cavs defense. I was frustrated by Virginia's continued offensive ineptitude against Wisconsin, but it won't matter against Maryland, Virginia wins that game by double-digits.

Several of the games are bad mismatches. Rutgers will get killed by Miami. Pitt is going to be squashed by an Iowa team that is much better than preseason projections. I have a hard time seeing how Indiana will stay within 15 or 20 points of Duke.

Lastly, putting our emotions aside, how can you not be excited for the Michigan - UNC game? The Heels have one of the top scoring offenses in the game (96.6 ppg, #3 in KenPom) and Michigan has perhaps the nation's top defense (48.3 ppg allowed, #1 in KenPom). It will be fascinating to see which wins out.

-Jason "I see the ACC winning 8 games, but won't be shocked if the B10 pulls off the win this season" Evans
    Will be interesting to see how that one turns out. The game is at Maryland, which is why the line is down to 3. That implies a neutral site game between those two teams would be around 7 pts. Perhaps not coincidentally UVA just beat Dayton and Wisco both neutral by, you guessed it, 7 pts.

My gut is inclined to agree with you. But objectively, 3 is the right number.

- Chillin

These are just the Kenpom spreads; wouldn’t surprise me if Vegas agrees with Jason and bumps that up to 5 or 6.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Klampson

Trailing Nebraska by 4 with 14 to go...

Bad night in SC...for the home teams

Clemson beaten by Nebraska 68-66....Wofford went to Columbia and spanked the Gamecocks....79-61 with few seconds remaining.

All even after the late game tonight with BC winning at home.

Go Xichigan!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Clemson beaten by Nebraska 68-66...Wofford went to Columbia and spanked the Gamecocks...79-61 with few seconds remaining.
    Not completely bad for SC. Wofford is also in SC.

I really did not see that Clemson loss coming. Sigh. I think we may need NCSt to pull off an upset tonight to feel good about winning the Challenge.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Not completely bad for SC. Wofford is also in SC.
    Which is why I said bad "for the home teams." SC lost to Wofford in Columbia. Badly.

And I did fear the Clemson loss. Not sure I would have predicted it per se, but they always lose some ugly games early....or so it seems. And Nebraska may be better than people realize.

great to see the Gamecocks continue to wander in the hardwood wilderness...leaving the ACC was a gargantually dumb move, done for the benefit of Pimento State football which has also failed to achieve the expected glory.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    great to see the Gamecocks continue to wander in the hardwood wilderness...leaving the ACC was a gargantually dumb move, done for the benefit of Pimento State football which has also failed to achieve the expected glory.
    It has been 48 years... let go of your anger

I did not recall that SC left the ACC to become an independent in 1970. They did not join the SEC until 1991... that was back in the day when being an independent wasn't really difficult to pull off in football.

It has been 48 years... let go of your anger

I did not recall that SC left the ACC to become an independent in 1970. They did not join the SEC until 1991... that was back in the day when being an independent wasn't really difficult to pull off in football.
    yeah, they were indy for a while, then joined something called The Metro Conference, which at the time had FSU and Louisville in it. Some of SC's better teams faced some up and coming Bobby Bowden teams, and the SC - FSU series was a good one for a while. I'm not sure if they went from Metro straight to SEC, or were Indy again for a while. And I don't think the Metro was even a football conference come to think about it, it was mainly a basketball operation plus the non rev sports.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    yeah, they were indy for a while, then joined something called The Metro Conference, which at the time had FSU and Louisville in it. Some of SC's better teams faced some up and coming Bobby Bowden teams, and the SC - FSU series was a good one for a while. I'm not sure if they went from Metro straight to SEC, or were Indy again for a while. And I don't think the Metro was even a football conference come to think about it, it was mainly a basketball operation plus the non rev sports.
    You are correct that the Metro never had football, but it was a fairly good basketball conference. Louisville was in it as was Ga Tech (though Tech was lousy at basketball back then). Memphis St was a real powerhouse member of the Metro.