Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke v Indiana (Tue, Nov 27, 930pm, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Next play.

Duke hosts Indiana for their matchup in the ACC-Big 10/11/12/whatever. Indiana just crushed #24 Marquette, but then turned around and lost to Arkansas. Not sure what we're going to get on Tuesday...
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Next play.

Duke hosts Indiana for their matchup in the ACC-Big 10/11/12/whatever. Indiana just crushed #24 Marquette, but then turned around and lost to Arkansas. Not sure what we're going to get on Tuesday...
    Likely their best shot

Indiana University began as the “State Seminary” in the 1820’s. The first professor was Baynard Rush Hall, a Presbyterian minister who taught all of the classes in 1825–27. In the first year, he taught twelve students and was paid $250. From 1820 to 1889 a legal-political battle was fought between the school and Vincennes University as to which was the legitimate state university. Learn a little, fight a little I guess. It’s motto (translated) is “Light and Truth.” Notable alums include Hoagy Carmichael and Mark Cuban.

The origin of the nickname “Hoosier” is much-debated but has been used to describe Indiana residents since at least the 1830’s. For home games, during the third time-out of every second half, the Indiana Big Red Basketball Band performs the William Tell Overture with cheerleaders racing around the court carrying myriad flags that spell out "Indiana Hoosiers." K was an assistant coach under Knight for the ‘74-‘75 season after his discharge from the service, leaving the next year to start as head coach of Army.

Duke defeated the Indiana football team in the 2015 Pinstripe Bowl (44-41, OT) to earn Duke’s first bowl victory since the Cotton Bowl on January 2, 1961 (7-6 over Arkansas).

We all know the great tradition of IU basketball, including five national championships and the last undefeated team. The last two decades have been tough, though, making only one Elite Eight (2002, advancing to the championship game before falling to the Twerps) and four Sweet Sixteens (2002, 2012, 2013, 2016). Since Bob Knight left the school in 2000, a series of coaches (Mike Davis, Kelvin Sampson, Dan Dakich, Tom Crean and now Archie Miller) have tried to get them back to glory. They sit at 4-1 and play again Friday before heading to Durham. They have three players averaging double digit scoring:

Romeo Langford (6’6” G, Fr.) 18.2 PPG, 6 RPG, 2.8 APG
    Juwan Morgan (6’8” F, Sr) 14.8 PPG, 8.8 RPG
    Justin Smith (6’7” F, Soph) 10.0 PPG

They are just outside the AP Top 25 (#27).

AFAIK, Bloomington is devoid of dog infestations and seriously lacking in Aztecs. The high temperature there is forecast to be 31 degrees on game day.

Let’s give a warm Southern welcome to our frozen friends from Indiana University!

I suspect we will see a very determined and focused Duke squad .We will see a solid defensive effort .
    Our freshman learned a lesson against the Zags.
    I give Indiana 0 chance.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    AFAIK, Bloomington is devoid of dog infestations and seriously lacking in Aztecs.
    What about Visigoths?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    What about Visigoths?
    And is IU “normal” or “abnormal”? Inquiring minds (or is it “enquring minds”?) want to know ...
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    And is IU “normal” or “abnormal”? Inquiring minds (or is it “enquring minds”?) want to know ...
    Duh, if you’re learning you are acquiring knowledge. So it is obviously “acquiring” minds.

For those interested, the IU game tomorrow against UC Davis is at 7pm on Big #? Network. I don’t get that, but if anyone sees the game (or has seen them play) I would love to hear about it.

I’ve never met a Visigoth, although once dated a Goth girl named Vickie. She did not like being called a Vickie Goth though. Ah, Depeche Mode . . . .

... Notable alums include Hoagy Carmichael and Mark Cuban ...
    And the daughter of the GT football coach: https://www.kaitlynjohnsonsoprano.com/media

I'm guessing we will be seeing the #3 team in the nation go to 6-1 on the season after an 18 point win.

I think we'll play rusty and unfocused in the first half before waking up in late first half or beginning second half.

Or we start blazing hot and then let them back into the game.

I wish Maryland would play Duke. I miss those games

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    I wish Maryland would play Duke. I miss those games
    Been hitting the romaine?

Been hitting the romaine?
    Hahaha this is so funny but I'm not allowed to spork anyone anymore.

Or so it seems.

Feel like I haven't been allowed to spork for months.

I've been spreading them but it keeps asking me to spread more.

I spread already! Do you hear?! I spread!!!

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Hahaha this is so funny but I'm not allowed to spork anyone anymore.

Or so it seems.

Feel like I haven't been allowed to spork for months.

I've been spreading them but it keeps asking me to spread more.

I spread already! Do you hear?! I spread!!!

- Chillin
    Is your name Skippy?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

“Heels looked good.”

“I wished we still played Maryland.”

“I miss Lenny Wirtz.”

“The sermon was good, but I wish it had been much longer.”

“No turkey for me, thanks, I’ve gone vegan“

“I know Duke is playing, but I really want to see if there is buried treasure on Oak Island.”

————-
    “I’ll take ‘things I would never say without deadpan irony for $500,’ Alex”

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Or we start blazing hot and then let them back into the game.
    On a serious note, and I know we've seen it in previous Duke teams, and it's still early in the season, but this team doesn't strike me as having this characteristic. I don't see them as taking their foot off the gas pedal. Seems they have a killer instinct lacking in some previous iterations. (Enough cliches for you?)
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Likely their best shot
    Yep, this game is their opportunity to stake their claim as a legit top-25 program. Archie Miller would like nothing more than to break our ridiculous non-conference home winning streak, which last I checked was at something like 130 games and counting. Last year's matchup in Bloomington was closer than the final score would indicate, they either tied it or came within a bucket within the final few minutes. I remember Bolden sparking a run by diving on a loose ball to save a possession, so let's hope he can keep his excellent play going and that the Auburn game wasn't a one-time thing.

Great matchup with Jones/Barrett against Romeo Langford who I'm sure will be looking to show out in front of our freshmen studs.

Indiana is extremely beat up at the moment.

Romeo Langford - broken nose
    Devonte Green - bruised thigh, missed last two games
    Zach McRoberts - lower back problem, missed last two games
    Al Durham - suffered a hard fall and missed the second half of the last game
    Race Thompson - concussion symptoms, missed 4 games this season
    Jerome Hunter - lower leg injury, missed all games

Langford will likely play through the nose injury. He's off to a solid start to the season. He's been able to consistently connect from 3, but he was always a streaky shooter in high school.

Juwan Morgan is an All-B1G player. Crafty in the post, can knock down the 3, good passer for his size. Not athletic.

Robert Phinisee is already a fan favorite in Bloomington. He'll be a fantastic program point guard. Brilliant on-ball defender, finishes well in the lane, has good size, and is a capable shooter.

Those are the three players who could give Duke the most trouble. Justin Smith has a ton of talent, but is still trying to put it all together. Evan Fitzner is a grad transfer big who loves to shoot.

If IU can get healthy bu Tuesday, they might have a chance to keep it close. If they don't...

Bump. Football season is over (for a month, at least) -- time to turn to hoops.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    If you demand an answer, but refuse to accept it, must be "requiring mind wants to no."