Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    This twitter thread from Jordan Sperber is some high quality video analysis. He shows how Gonzaga uses the ball screen to generate easy buckets. He also makes the case that Bolden is ill-equipped to defend it while suggesting that DeLaurier is the better matchup. I agree with this and expect to see a lot of DeLaurier and White out there to defend the ball screen action that Gonzaga uses.

Follow the thread here: https://twitter.com/hoopvision68/sta...31746147917824

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    This twitter thread from Jordan Sperber is some high quality video analysis. He shows how Gonzaga uses the ball screen to generate easy buckets. He also makes the case that Bolden is ill-equipped to defend it while suggesting that DeLaurier is the better matchup. I agree with this and expect to see a lot of DeLaurier and White out there to defend the ball screen action that Gonzaga uses.

In theory, I agree...but that was contemplating Bolden 1.0 or 2.0. Bolden 3.0 was unleashed last night. Different animal...meanwhile Javin 3.0 seems to have regressed IMO.

Javin also might foul out in the first half trying to defend the Zags ball screens. He certainly has the athleticism to defend but he has been foul prone as well. Coach K will make the right decision. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    In theory, I agree...but that was contemplating Bolden 1.0 or 2.0. Bolden 3.0 was unleashed last night. Different animal...meanwhile Javin 3.0 seems to have regressed IMO.
    I wish! Sperber was using clips from the Auburn game, when Marques broke out. It's worth watching how he responds to ball screens. We shouldn't be surprised if Javin subs in early. Javin didn't get into much foul trouble in the game yesterday and had some really nice defensive plays.

The first clip was a miscommunication between Marques and RJ but not necessarily Marques' fault. Typically it's the big that calls out the coverage. If anyone's ever watched Duke live in a setting that's not noisy, you can hear the bigs call out "Ice ice ice" when we're icing. Marques doesn't like to ice and prefers hedging, and it's hard to know whether he communicated a hedge to RJ and RJ missed it or not. Alternatively, it's possible the coaches ordered all ball screens to be iced, in which case it really was Marques' fault.

On the second clip, Sperber just isn't used to how Duke plays ice. I've been complaining about it for several seasons. We don't actually put our bigs in a drop (and preferably a deep drop) which is what Sperber would typically see on film from other teams who ice. We have our bigs cover the 3-pt line in what I call a "lateral contain" and thus instead of playing the ball screen 2 on 2 like Sperber would expect, we still need the weakside defender to come over and help on the roller. This dunk wasn't on Marques but on Zion, which Bilas identified correctly during live play.

Why on Earth is this game so early?

On the play where Sperber compliments Javin on the deflection (the second of two plays in the clip), notice that Javin does the lateral contain at the 3-pt line. The difference is that Zion discouraged the pass to the roller, which forces a pass outside to Zion's man and allows Javin to get back in time to the roller for the deflection.

On the play where Javin does the drop (albeit starting from far away beyond the 3-pt line) to contain Harper (the first of two plays in the clip), there was no roller. The screen setter didn't roll, and thus only Harper was a threat.

Ultimately, Sperber is correct that Javin is going to play ball screens better than Marques, but I'm providing the context from someone who watches Duke way more than Sperber does.

DBR Chat is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Why on Earth is this game so early?
    ESPN makes all decisions regarding college fball and b-ball game times. They are showing Lakers-Cavs at 8 and have advertised the crap out of that game. I assume that Lebron game is a better draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    On the play where Sperber compliments Javin on the deflection (the second of two plays in the clip), notice that Javin does the lateral contain at the 3-pt line. The difference is that Zion discouraged the pass to the roller, which forces a pass outside to Zion's man and allows Javin to get back in time to the roller for the deflection.

On the play where Javin does the drop (albeit starting from far away beyond the 3-pt line) to contain Harper (the first of two plays in the clip), there was no roller. The screen setter didn't roll, and thus only Harper was a threat.

Ultimately, Sperber is correct that Javin is going to play ball screens better than Marques, but I'm providing the context from someone who watches Duke way more than Sperber does.
    Very much appreciated the analysis.

Love those blue jerseys.

Looks like Zion is getting the "you're bigger and stronger so you don't get calls" treatment again when he drives to the basket.
    Last edited by WHOneedsSOX; 11-21-2018 at 05:12 PM.

Refs have swallowed the whistles compared to the first 2 games. Doesn’t help the team driving the basket.

Tre should get an assist there

Kenpom D going to take a beating after this game. Zags getting any shot they want. They certainly look to be the superior team so far.

That might be Tre’s last dunk attempt this year.

Why are we so sloppy with the ball? We just look out of sorts for the second day in a row.

We need someone to come in it and give us some juice. Looking tired out there

Defense is really bad so far. It's not as if Gonzaga is hitting tough shots either. They won't shoot 75% the whole game but there won't be much drop off if Duke doesn't start playing defense.

No way I want to lose, but I'm really interested to see how this team reacts to being down.

9F

Look like a bunch of freshmen