Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke v Gonzaga (Wed Nov 21, 5 pm, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

I might as well make this my first pre-game and in-game thread. Here we go!

Can Duke make it 18-0 in Maui against the #3 team in the land?

Gonzaga scored 54 in the second half against Arizona to comeback from 13 down.

Discuss and enjoy the game no matter the what the outcome.

Let's Go Duke!!!

If I am reading KenPom correctly, it looks like Duke will be about a 4.5 point favorite (+the Duke premium?).

After the last night's games, Duke now has the #1 rated adjusted offensive rating and the #5 defensive rating. Gonzaga is #5 and #16 respectively.

Duke is KenPom #1 overall and Gonzaga is #6 overall.

By the way, Auburn and Kentucky are currently #10 an #11.

This should be a tight game and the biggest test for Duke thus far. Can our super freshmen stay on the court and out of foul trouble? that may be a big key to this game.

Personally I am hoping that Zion will get back into the SC Top 10 and will have 3 or 4 highlights to choose from!

I will be going the TuneIn streaming route to hear this game while driving to our Thanksgiving destination.

I hope last night was not a fluke w/ MB. I've been pulling for that kid for three years now. Even though K doesn't believe in positions, he's a true "5". Protect the rim. Rebound. Get put backs and blocks. He ran the floor last night and played the basketball he's capable of playing. It had to be a huge boost for his confidence. Add that to the rest of the arsenal, and we just became that much more difficult to beat. This is the best all around Duke team I've seen in a long, long time.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    If I am reading KenPom correctly, it looks like Duke will be about a 4.5 point favorite (+the Duke premium?).

After the last night's games, Duke now has the #1 rated adjusted offensive rating and the #5 defensive rating. Gonzaga is #5 and #16 respectively.

Duke is KenPom #1 overall and Gonzaga is #6 overall.

By the way, Auburn and Kentucky are currently #10 an #11.

This should be a tight game and the biggest test for Duke thus far. Can our super freshmen stay on the court and out of foul trouble? that may be a big key to this game.

Personally I am hoping that Zion will get back into the SC Top 10 and will have 3 or 4 highlights to choose from!

I will be going the TuneIn streaming route to hear this game while driving to our Thanksgiving destination.
    But the true expert locally, Giglio in the N&O isn’t that impressed. He says we have to beat Gonzaga before he “ranks” us ahead of cheaters and 16-1.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    But the true expert locally, Giglio in the N&O isn’t that impressed. He says we have to beat Gonzaga before he “ranks” us ahead of cheaters and 16-1.
    Well if Duke wins - they will have run a pretty impressive early gauntlet of KY, Auburn and Gonzaga. Certainly not as impressive as Wofford, Tenn Tech and St Francis, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Well if Duke wins - they will have run a pretty impressive early gauntlet of KY, Auburn and Gonzaga. Certainly not as impressive as Wofford, Tenn Tech and St Francis, but still.
    That was @ Wofford, too.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    I might as well make this my first pre-game and in-game thread. Here we go!

Can Duke make it 18-0 in Maui against the #3 team in the land?

Gonzaga scored 54 in the second half against Arizona to comeback from 13 down.

Discuss and enjoy the game no matter the what the outcome.

Let's Go Duke!!!
    This team will learn a lot about itself tonight. The Zags are big and experienced. Foul trouble from this young bunch after two games could be a big factor. I expect the Zags will struggle with Dukes pressure, but they will play a patient offense in the half court. Duke will have a lot to contend with - but they have to play smart and error limited. Cam will need to be on his game to counter Hachimura who is a tough cover. A difficult game to be sure- right up there with UVA and uNC in conference play. Duke has to get lots of easy buckets to win.

Ah, Gonzaga. The perpetually perplexing team. Usually vexed by gaudy records but questionable competition, tonight’s game offers them the opportunity to stamp out the questioners in one fell swoop.

On the gorgeous banks of the Spokane River, Gonzaga is a private Catholic college founded in 1887 and named for Jesuit saint Aloysius Gonzaga. It counts Bing Crosby and John Stockton as alums.

The team’s nickname is the Bulldogs, named for the pack of marauding Olde Englishs that have terrorized Spokane residents since the Couer d’Aline Nation teamed the shores of the Spokane. The plague of dog attacks continues unabated to this day although is rarely reported outside of the Pacific Northwest. Coach Mark Few is marking a trail of his own, now in his 20th year at the helm. They have won the West Coast Conference regular season title every year since 2001, and have made nine Sweet Sixteens including a Final Four and runner-up spot in 2017. They are talented, well-coached, and come from a winning tradition. They will not be intimidated and no doubt believe they should win.

A stern test, indeed. A big wave to the next school on the stage, the talented Bulldogs of Gonzaga University.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Ah, Gonzaga. The perpetually perplexing team. Usually vexed by gaudy records but questionable competition, tonight’s game offers them the opportunity to stamp out the questioners in one fell swoop.

On the gorgeous banks of the Spokane River, Gonzaga is a private Catholic college founded in 1887 and named for Jesuit saint Aloysius Gonzaga. It counts Bing Crosby and John Stockton as alums.

The team’s nickname is the Bulldogs, named for the pack of marauding Olde Englishs that have terrorized Spokane residents since the Couer d’Aline Nation teamed the shores of the Spokane. .
    There's not much in Eastern Washington to attract people, but the Spokane River, and especially Lake Couer D'Alene (10 miles away) are the rare exception. It's easy to see why Mark Few has never left. He makes big money, especially for Spokane, and has a program that rocks, and amazing beauty in which to spend the off hours. The Zags are always tough and well coached. This will be another major test. Auburn may be better suited to beating Duke than Gonzaga....but this is the big time. I'm excited to see it. So little pressure in November...

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    There's not much in Eastern Washington to attract people, but the Spokane River, and especially Lake Couer D'Alene (10 miles away) are the rare exception. It's easy to see why Mark Few has never left. He makes big money, especially for Spokane, and has a program that rocks, and amazing beauty in which to spend the off hours. The Zags are always tough and well coached. This will be another major test. Auburn may be better suited to beating Duke than Gonzaga...but this is the big time. I'm excited to see it. So little pressure in November...
    Both Spokane and Lake Couer d’Aline are fabulously beautiful. There is a huge park in Spokane just across the River from Gonzaga’s campus that is wonderful. Good fishing in CdA, with a nice short hiking area (Tubman’s Hill IIRC) perfect for bringing kids.

That was @ Wofford, too.
    "Twue Woad Game" makes Wofford a better win than Auburn in Maui or beating Kentucky by 40.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Giglio is just be-clowning himself lately. I get that you want a team of frosh to prove themselves...and that all that youth will run into some rough spots - but it takes a brain dead idiot not to know there's something "different" about this team. Every sports journalist in the nation, except Giglio, sees this. I feel better about this team now than I ever did last year...or heck, better than any team since 92 frankly. We'll see how that plays out...should be a helluva ride.

Of course, the media in 49 states realized what rock stars the 91-92 Duke team was. The only group that missed it were the cHeat grads dominating NC sports media.

The team’s nickname is the Bulldogs, named for the pack of marauding Olde Englishs that have terrorized Spokane residents since the Couer d’Aline Nation teamed the shores of the Spokane. The plague of dog attacks continues unabated to this day although is rarely reported outside of the Pacific Northwest. Coach Mark Few is marking a trail of his own, now in his 20th year at the helm. They have won the West Coast Conference regular season title every year since 2001, and have made nine Sweet Sixteens including a Final Four and runner-up spot in 2017. They are talented, well-coached, and come from a winning tradition. They will not be intimidated and no doubt believe they should win.

A stern test, indeed. A big wave to the next school on the stage, the talented Bulldogs of Gonzaga University.
    I thought I was reading a sonnet for a moment... Lovely prose.

They have won the West Coast Conference regular season title every year since 2001
    St. Mary’s actually won it in 2012. Also, Gonzaga tied for the title two other times during that period. Still very impressive.

That was @ Wofford, too.
    unc Played at Elon as well. Tough to play in such a hostile environment against a perennial powerhouse that early in the season (go Phoenix!).

Both Spokane and Lake Couer d’Aline are fabulously beautiful. There is a huge park in Spokane just across the River from Gonzaga’s campus that is wonderful. Good fishing in CdA, with a nice short hiking area (Tubman’s Hill IIRC) perfect for bringing kids.
    I have close relatives (an aunt and uncle, and several of their children and grandchildren) who have lived in Spokane for 30+ years. It is a very scenic place, and the golf courses in Coeur D'Alene are spectacularly beautiful (even if I have not had the chance actually to play any of them). Spokane is also Lilac City, with numerous parks having lilacs throughout them, and an annual Lilac Festival. Very fragrant in mid-May or so, when they are in bloom.

My cousins are all Gonzaga fans, so I get to be enemies with them over Thanksgiving weekend. And don't forget that the Devils defeated the Zags in the 2015 Elite 8, on the way to K's 5th natty. I loved that game.

This one should be a whole lot of fun to watch.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

And as I'm sure you know, some of the Gonzaga players actually wear high socks to obscure the copious bulldog bites they endure on a daily basis...my understanding is that the Catholic church has de-emphasized the use of
    ruler thwacks over knuckles in favor of canine intimidation. Things evolve.

Quote Originally Posted by WVDUKEFAN View Post
    I hope last night was not a fluke w/ MB. I've been pulling for that kid for three years now. Even though K doesn't believe in positions, he's a true "5". Protect the rim. Rebound. Get put backs and blocks. He ran the floor last night and played the basketball he's capable of playing. It had to be a huge boost for his confidence. Add that to the rest of the arsenal, and we just became that much more difficult to beat. This is the best all around Duke team I've seen in a long, long time.
    It was really really nice to see him smiling and enjoying himself...can't imagine how good this team can be should that continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I thought I was reading a sonnet for a moment... Lovely prose.
    Which makes me wonder: Is Bill Walton calling tonight's game?
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Chief pedant here. It's "Coeur" not "Couer." Mme. Walter from HS French sends her regards.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013