Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    There's a tremendous amount at stake for both teams: state championship, bowl game. I don't want us to gift wrap bowl eligibility for Wake like we did for Army in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Here in the Foothills, these comments are Incendiary. A Wise Man would not have made them. Fortunately, they came in a very Small Batch.

I knew I could count on Tripping William to take the lead. Sounds strangely like a brewery crawl in the Twin City .

OTOH, I'm debating whether the Devils win by 7 or 10 points.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Jack Marwede, TE, had surgery on his injured knee. I sure fope he will be ready for the start of next season. He will be needed with all our graduations.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Jack Marwede, TE, had surgery on his injured knee. I sure fope he will be ready for the start of next season. He will be needed with all our graduations.
    I hope that Duke Football applied for and received a bulk rate discount from Duke Hospital this season.

On a serious note, get well soon Jack.

The number of season-ending injuries/surgeries is staggering to me this year, especially in addition to the injuries/games missed numbers, too. Anyone else remember a worse year?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    The number of season-ending injuries/surgeries is staggering to me this year, especially in addition to the injuries/games missed numbers, too. Anyone else remember a worse year?
    The only analogy, sadly, is Duke basketball 2016-17. Wake had almost as many as we did, til Singleton and Ben went down. That put us way ahead (or is it behind)?

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Here in the Foothills, these comments are Incendiary. A Wise Man would not have made them. Fortunately, they came in a very Small Batch.

You are such a Joymonger.

Coach Cutcliffe Tuesday press conference:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/pl...200&id=6299172

A few comments which stood out to me (paraphrased):

1. Expect to see more of Brittain Brown this weekend. It was encouraging to see what he was able to do.
    2. Brandon Hill and Koby Quansah are capable of playing 60-70 snaps if required.
    3. Winning the last game of the season builds huge momentum for the bowl game.
    Bob Green

Redshirt juniors moving on

Did you guys pick up that Brandon Feamster and Jordan Hayes appear to be moving on? I was a little surprised re Feamster in that he’s started 4-5 games in a row now and, although he still gets picked on in coverage, he’s big, strong and seems to be a pretty good tackler. Our defensive backfield appears to be a position of strength going forward - looking beyond who’s playing now to who’s redshirting and who’s coming in next fall - so maybe that’s the thinking, but we’ve seen this year how quickly inquiries can chew through that depth.

As an editorial note, I would have loved to see our defense at full strength in the UVa and Pitt games. I think we would have beat Pitt by two TDs and have had a reasonable chance against UVa.

I hope Marwede is back as well. I think we have enough depth without him, but he was very highly rated and should really help. Gray is the presumptive starter and should be very good, but he’s more of a Travis Kelce receiver first, blocker second type. Anyone know what the deal is with Birmingham? He was also a highly rated recruit and appears to be relegated to special teams.

A mod may want to change the title to say ACC RSN instead of Raycom to avoid confusion.

Here are the channels carrying the game again:
    http://theacc.com/sports/2018/11/15/...F-DU-1124.aspx

Blackout Map:

Options based on location:

Black:
    -On TV on channel from list linked above
    -Online via service provided by channel from list linked above (may need to be in-market subscriber)

Green:
    -On TV on channel from list linked above
    -On TV via ESPN College Extra (not carried by all providers, channel assignment not available yet)
    -Online via service provided by channel from list linked above (may need to be in-market subscriber)
    -Online via ACC Network Extra section of WatchESPN

WFU roster

Have players from both Northern Durham and Southern Durham high schools ... LB coach is former Duke captain and longtime assistant Brad Sherrod ... looks like their P went to high school with Dimukeje ... their special teams coach was the Richmond interim head coach who beat Duke in 2011 ...

https://wakeforestsports.com/roster.aspx?path=football

In the Roanoke Times listing of the top 100 players in Virginia for 2015:

4- Scott Bracey
    7 - Mark Birmingham
    35 - Carlos Basham (leading WFU in sacks)
    47 - Myles Hudzick
    49 - Greg Dortch (leading Wake in recs)

https://www.roanoke.com/sports/high_...35fafa959.html
    Last edited by Reilly; 11-21-2018 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    In the Roanoke Times listing of the top 100 players in Virginia for 2015:

4- Scott Bracey
    7 - Mark Birmingham
    35 - Carlos Basham (leading WFU in sacks)
    47 - Myles Hudzick
    49 - Greg Dortch (leading Wake in recs)

https://www.roanoke.com/sports/high_...35fafa959.html
    Dang, you reckon they'd go for a trade, #4 for #49 straight up?

Quote Originally Posted by barely View Post
    Did you guys pick up that Brandon Feamster and Jordan Hayes appear to be moving on? I was a little surprised re Feamster in that he’s started 4-5 games in a row now and, although he still gets picked on in coverage, he’s big, strong and seems to be a pretty good tackler. Our defensive backfield appears to be a position of strength going forward - looking beyond who’s playing now to who’s redshirting and who’s coming in next fall - so maybe that’s the thinking, but we’ve seen this year how quickly inquiries can chew through that depth.

As an editorial note, I would have loved to see our defense at full strength in the UVa and Pitt games. I think we would have beat Pitt by two TDs and have had a reasonable chance against UVa.

I hope Marwede is back as well. I think we have enough depth without him, but he was very highly rated and should really help. Gray is the presumptive starter and should be very good, but he’s more of a Travis Kelce receiver first, blocker second type. Anyone know what the deal is with Birmingham? He was also a highly rated recruit and appears to be relegated to special teams.
    I'm kind of stunned about Feamster and Hayes as well, both have been starting and playing reasonably well...maybe they just want to get on with their lives.
    As for Birmingham, I think he's just been buried behind three other guys on the depth chart...the nice thing about a bowl game is that we get a lot more practice time...I would expect we'll see a lot of him next year.
    I watched Cut's press conference...I absolutely love the way he handles himself...having said that, I did get a chuckle when he said something to the effect "I'm not going to get into player availability at this time." No kidding, not at
    this time, not at any time...just the way he likes to do things...would love to see Harris and maybe even Humphreys back for the bowl...the only time he says anything substantive about injuries is when a guy is definitely done for the season (e.g. Marwede), so the lack of comment about Humphreys would seem to indicate he didn't suffer a grievous injury (or so I hope).

I guess they are going ahead with a request for a sixth year for Cerenord...if we get that from the new, happier NCAA, that would be great...we'd have huge DL depth, in fact big depth throughout the defense...

I'll start the parade:

Devils-35

Deacs-28

27-20 Duke.

My last WAG in the 2018 regular season:

Duke 38, Wake Forest 21
    Bob Green

Some career stats from the game notes for those moving on ...

C Clark Bulleit - 3 games played
    RB Griffin Carter - 2 games
    S Brandon Feamster - 35 games - 47 tackles, 4 PBUs
    LB Kevin Gehsmann - 3 games
    OG/C Zach Harmon - 37 games
    OT Christian Harris - 32 games
    S Jordan Hayes - 29 games - 89 tackles, 8 PBUs
    TE Daniel Helm - 36 games - 63 rec, 6 TDs
    LB Ben Humphreys - 46 games - 273 tackles, 2 INTs, 5 fumble recoveries
    TE Davis Koppenhaver - 39 games - 48 receptions, 11 TDs
    WR Trevon Lee - 18 games - 3 recs
    WR Johnathan Lloyd - 47 games - 117 recs, 9 TDs
    S Jeremy McDuffie - 44 games - 106 tackles, 4 INTs
    DE Twazanga Mugala - 9 games - 4 tackles
    RB Nicodem Pierre - 34 games - 38 rush, 137 yds, 1 TD
    WR T.J. Rahming - 48 games - 240 recs, 11 TDs
    WR Chris Taylor - 45 games - 85 rec, 4 TDs
    K Collin Wareham - 11 games - 9/13 FGs, 40/42 PATs

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    My last WAG in the 2018 regular season:

Duke 38, Wake Forest 21
    That would make me a lot happier than my nailbiter prediction but I'm not "feeling" a 17 point win with our depleted defense. I might bet a Costco or a few baked beans with Bob on this one

Blue jersey, white pants, blue helmet with Duke in script. Love it. Go Devils!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide