Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

College Football Playoff 2018

Looks like we're heading toward Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, and the winner of Ohio State/Michigan. Maybe Oklahoma if there's an upset.

What's the point of having a playoff if a team on a 23 game winning streak has no chance of getting in? Sure, they'd be crushed by Alabama in the first game, but so would any other non-Clemson team.

Someone please tell me that the Ohio State University is out already.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Looks like we're heading toward Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, and the winner of Ohio State/Michigan. Maybe Oklahoma if there's an upset.

What's the point of having a playoff if a team on a 23 game winning streak has no chance of getting in? Sure, they'd be crushed by Alabama in the first game, but so would any other non-Clemson team.
    I think the idea is to get the 4 best teams into the playoffs within reason (meaning that if the best team ends up with 2 losses then they're out). UCF doesn't play a schedule that convinces anyone that they are one of the 4 best teams. If they played any of the 5 teams listed in the first sentence above, would they be favored?

Note, I'm not saying that this is right or wrong, it's just the reality of the situation.

This is why strength of schedule is important, even more so when you play in a weak conference. I'm sure none of the big boys want to play UCF, but it's up to their coaches and AD to figure out how to get it done. Every non-P5 school understands

When your non-conf is SC State, Cheater Hill, Florida Atlantic and Pitt, you aren't serious about getting in the playoffs. Even if you thought the Cheats and Panthers were going to be decent. Central Florida has the 72nd strongest schedule

I believe Georgia is the 2nd best team in the country and has a non-zero chance of beating Alabama in the SEC championship game. In that scenario -- unless Bama gets blown out and looks awful and Tua is hurt and will never come back for the playoff -- then Michigan/OK/tOSU are all going to be on the outside looking in.

And I've got a scenario for all of you -- let's say the GA-Alab game is similar to last year's National Title game, really close and maybe even goes to OT, but Bama wins. If Michigan falls to tOSU or NWestern, is there a case for putting Georgia into the Playoff? I suppose not because it would be an immediate rematch with Bama (#1-vs-#4) but I think a case could be made for the Dawgs.

-Jason "it would help if GA's loss at LSU had been closer" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Someone please tell me that the Ohio State University is out already.
    Technically not, but our son laughs heartily at their chances and thinks they should be disqualified already simply based on surrendering 100 points to Purdue and UMd.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

No playoff system is perfect....NHL and NBA coming the closest I think. As for UCF, I am ambivalent. If going to the playoffs is your goal in life, then don't play or coach at UCF. The idea is to get the four best teams, and few if anyone thinks UCF is one of those. I think UCF goes 6-6 if they're in the SEC....

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Technically not, but our son laughs heartily at their chances and thinks they should be disqualified already simply based on surrendering 100 points to Purdue and UMd.
    Same here.

My personal feeling is any undefeaated team should make the playoff unless there are one-loss teams who only lost to one of the undefeated teams - and have a better strength of schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    This is why strength of schedule is important, even more so when you play in a weak conference. I'm sure none of the big boys want to play UCF, but it's up to their coaches and AD to figure out how to get it done. Every non-P5 school understands

When your non-conf is SC State, Cheater Hill, Florida Atlantic and Pitt, you aren't serious about getting in the playoffs. Even if you thought the Cheats and Panthers were going to be decent. Central Florida has the 72nd strongest schedule
    UCF crushed the champion of a power conference division. There's really not much more you can ask for of these teams.

What you're saying is that, in practice, it is impossible for a non-power-conference team to ever make it into the playoffs in the current system. And, in fact, I think you're right – it's just dumb and it's very obvious we need to go to 8 teams (among many other reforms in the sport).

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    My personal feeling is any undefeaated team should make the playoff unless there are one-loss teams who only lost to one of the undefeated teams - and have a better strength of schedule.
    I think that would happen in the Power Five conferences (plus Notre Dame).

Not buying your statement for schools outside the five major conferences. The case for the American Athletic Conference isn't very strong:
    UConn, Temple, Cincy, Houston, Memphis, SMU, USF, UCF, Navy, Tulsa, Tulane, and East Carolina.

Overall, 7-11 against P5+ND, with only two wins against P5 teams with winning records -- UCF over Pitt and USF over GT. Four losses to P5 teams with losing records -- Houston to Texas Tech; SMU to TCU; Tulsa to Wake; and Tulane to Arkansas.

If UCF wants to be considered, it will need to schedule tougher games.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

Not buying your statement for schools outside the five major conferences. The case for the American Athletic Conference isn't very strong:
    UConn, Temple, Cincy, Houston, Memphis, SMU, USF, UCF, Navy, Tulsa, Tulane, and East Carolina.

Overall, 7-11 against P5+ND, with only two wins against P5 teams with winning records -- UCF over Pitt and USF over GT. Four losses to P5 teams with losing records -- Houston to Texas Tech; SMU to TCU; Tulsa to Wake; and Tulane to Arkansas.

Are better teams willing to play UCF? I would guess the answer is no for any team with championship aspirations...which leaves you with teams at the Pitt/GT level who apparently aren't good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Are better teams willing to play UCF? I would guess the answer is no for any team with championship aspirations...which leaves you with teams at the Pitt/GT level who apparently aren't good enough.
    Well, they aren't trying very hard. This year, in addition to Pitt and UNC (canceled), the Knights played SC State and Florida Atlantic. That's pathetic. Duke's out-of-conference schedule was arguably tougher and our win over Northwestern may be better than any single victory in the entire American Conference.

Oh my, Acymetric, another season is about over. I had a fly-by for UNC but didn't get to tailgate. Oh well, maybe we can have a tailgate for the Final Four, although the last time I was at a FF in Minneapolis, there was still ice on the old Mississippi.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

UCF crushed the champion of a power conference division. There's really not much more you can ask for of these teams.

What you're saying is that, in practice, it is impossible for a non-power-conference team to ever make it into the playoffs in the current system. And, in fact, I think you're right – it's just dumb and it's very obvious we need to go to 8 teams (among many other reforms in the sport).
    The ideal 8 team playoff: 5 champions of the power conferences, 2 at-large teams, 1 team from other conferences. By automatically including 1 non-P5 team, we not only give a chance to the litle guys, we also probably give the overall #1 seed a break (which they deserve for earning the #1 seed) by giving them what will probably be an easy opening round game.

Play your games on Xmas eve, NY eve, and then a week or so later. There would be much money made.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

I understand, but until we have a true playoff (all power five conference champs are in) I’d prefer to see undefeated teams lose before they can be deemed unworthy of a championship. My caveat is if all playoff spots would have non-power five teams.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    I understand, but until we have a true playoff (all power five conference champs are in) I’d prefer to see undefeated teams lose before they can be deemed unworthy of a championship. My caveat is if all playoff spots would have non-power five teams.
    Can't do it with a four-team playoff. A four-team playoff meshes well with the existing bowl system. An eight-team playoff means that the surviving teams play 16 games and may raise other issues. But it would allow the NCAA to include a non-Power 5 team.
    Sage Grouse

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The ideal 8 team playoff: 5 champions of the power conferences, 2 at-large teams, 1 team from other conferences. By automatically including 1 non-P5 team, we not only give a chance to the litle guys, we also probably give the overall #1 seed a break (which they deserve for earning the #1 seed) by giving them what will probably be an easy opening round game.

Play your games on Xmas eve, NY eve, and then a week or so later. There would be much money made.
    Agreed, except I think it should be even a week earlier, so that the entire season ends on New Years Day. And the games should be played at the campus of the higher team, other than the title game, which can rotate around neutral sites.

And bowls should be completely eliminated, of course.

And just who will/can/would eliminate the bowls?

Bowls just become the NIT of the football world...

-jk

Agreed, except I think it should be even a week earlier, so that the entire season ends on New Years Day. And the games should be played at the campus of the higher team, other than the title game, which can rotate around neutral sites.

We have a zillion bowls. They aren't going anywhere. The four-team playoff utilizes three of the high-profile bowls. We might as well find a real use for others, hosting the quarterfinals. But the championship game isn't gonna be earlier than it is now -- week after New Year's Day. That works well with the NFL playoffs and fits most academic schedules.
    Sage Grouse