Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

College Football Playoff 2018

Looks like we're heading toward Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, and the winner of Ohio State/Michigan. Maybe Oklahoma if there's an upset.

What's the point of having a playoff if a team on a 23 game winning streak has no chance of getting in? Sure, they'd be crushed by Alabama in the first game, but so would any other non-Clemson team.

Someone please tell me that the Ohio State University is out already.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Someone please tell me that the Ohio State University is out already.
    Technically not, but our son laughs heartily at their chances and thinks they should be disqualified already simply based on surrendering 100 points to Purdue and UMd.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Technically not, but our son laughs heartily at their chances and thinks they should be disqualified already simply based on surrendering 100 points to Purdue and UMd.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Looks like we're heading toward Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, and the winner of Ohio State/Michigan. Maybe Oklahoma if there's an upset.

What's the point of having a playoff if a team on a 23 game winning streak has no chance of getting in? Sure, they'd be crushed by Alabama in the first game, but so would any other non-Clemson team.
    I think the idea is to get the 4 best teams into the playoffs within reason (meaning that if the best team ends up with 2 losses then they're out). UCF doesn't play a schedule that convinces anyone that they are one of the 4 best teams. If they played any of the 5 teams listed in the first sentence above, would they be favored?

Note, I'm not saying that this is right or wrong, it's just the reality of the situation.

This is why strength of schedule is important, even more so when you play in a weak conference. I'm sure none of the big boys want to play UCF, but it's up to their coaches and AD to figure out how to get it done. Every non-P5 school understands

When your non-conf is SC State, Cheater Hill, Florida Atlantic and Pitt, you aren't serious about getting in the playoffs. Even if you thought the Cheats and Panthers were going to be decent. Central Florida has the 72nd strongest schedule

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    This is why strength of schedule is important, even more so when you play in a weak conference. I'm sure none of the big boys want to play UCF, but it's up to their coaches and AD to figure out how to get it done. Every non-P5 school understands

When your non-conf is SC State, Cheater Hill, Florida Atlantic and Pitt, you aren't serious about getting in the playoffs. Even if you thought the Cheats and Panthers were going to be decent. Central Florida has the 72nd strongest schedule
    UCF crushed the champion of a power conference division. There's really not much more you can ask for of these teams.

What you're saying is that, in practice, it is impossible for a non-power-conference team to ever make it into the playoffs in the current system. And, in fact, I think you're right – it's just dumb and it's very obvious we need to go to 8 teams (among many other reforms in the sport).

UCF crushed the champion of a power conference division. There's really not much more you can ask for of these teams.

What you're saying is that, in practice, it is impossible for a non-power-conference team to ever make it into the playoffs in the current system. And, in fact, I think you're right – it's just dumb and it's very obvious we need to go to 8 teams (among many other reforms in the sport).
    The ideal 8 team playoff: 5 champions of the power conferences, 2 at-large teams, 1 team from other conferences. By automatically including 1 non-P5 team, we not only give a chance to the litle guys, we also probably give the overall #1 seed a break (which they deserve for earning the #1 seed) by giving them what will probably be an easy opening round game.

Play your games on Xmas eve, NY eve, and then a week or so later. There would be much money made.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The ideal 8 team playoff: 5 champions of the power conferences, 2 at-large teams, 1 team from other conferences. By automatically including 1 non-P5 team, we not only give a chance to the litle guys, we also probably give the overall #1 seed a break (which they deserve for earning the #1 seed) by giving them what will probably be an easy opening round game.

Play your games on Xmas eve, NY eve, and then a week or so later. There would be much money made.
    Agreed, except I think it should be even a week earlier, so that the entire season ends on New Years Day. And the games should be played at the campus of the higher team, other than the title game, which can rotate around neutral sites.

And bowls should be completely eliminated, of course.

And just who will/can/would eliminate the bowls?

Bowls just become the NIT of the football world...

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    And just who will/can/would eliminate the bowls?
    No one. It's a pipe dream that I know won't happen. College football's postseason is permanently damaged. The best realistic scenario is probably expanding to 8 teams and hosting the first round on college campuses, which maybe will start a long process of relegating most bowls to NIT status like jk said.

Anyway, for this year... the Chaos Scenario is I guess what JE outlined... Georgia upsets Alabama, and Notre Dame and Clemson do not get upset. Then all of the Big 10, Big 12, and Pac 12 get locked out of the playoff (or Alabama gets left out).

No one. It's a pipe dream that I know won't happen. College football's postseason is permanently damaged. The best realistic scenario is probably expanding to 8 teams and hosting the first round on college campuses, which maybe will start a long process of relegating most bowls to NIT status like jk said.

Anyway, for this year... the Chaos Scenario is I guess what JE outlined... Georgia upsets Alabama, and Notre Dame and Clemson do not get upset. Then all of the Big 10, Big 12, and Pac 12 get locked out of the playoff (or Alabama gets left out).
    Is that not true for most bowls already?

For those who want football brackets/playoffs:

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/print/football/fcs/2018

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/print/football/d2/2018 [ND got a bye.]

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/print/football/d3/2018 [Does Hopkins take academics seriously anymore?]

I think that's a cynical and not quite accurate view on the bowls. The bowls have been part of what made college football so popular - a significant part of the traditions of the sport. You can't say we'd be better off if they just didn't exist. The entire sport would be different. My feeling is this relationship is slipping away slowly, and will continue to, but incorporating some bowls into the FBS playoff system is kind of giving the sport the best of both worlds.

And beyond the big bowls, that NIT feel has always been there.

It seems none of us like the current 4-team playoff, so we should all be rooting for my chaos scenario. As Wander notes, it keeps three of the 5 major conferences on the sidelines, which would be a huge problem for those leagues. The B10, B12, and P12 have the kind of power to force a bigger playoff to happen. It won't be overnight, but it could happen in a couple years, I think.

And anyone who doubts that Bama makes the playoff if they lose to UGA is crazy. As I noted, the only way they don't is if the game is really lopsided and Bama suffers some serious injuries that make them look like a shell of the currently dominant team. My only question would be where they would be seeded. Poor Clemson is terrified that Bama will lose and drop to the #4 slot, again giving Clemson the unlucky task of being the #1 team that has to play the best team.

-Jason "there is no way the playoff will put UGA and Bama into the #2/#3 spots to give them an immediate rematch" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

It seems none of us like the current 4-team playoff, so we should all be rooting for my chaos scenario. As Wander notes, it keeps three of the 5 major conferences on the sidelines, which would be a huge problem for those leagues. The B10, B12, and P12 have the kind of power to force a bigger playoff to happen. It won't be overnight, but it could happen in a couple years, I think.

And anyone who doubts that Bama makes the playoff if they lose to UGA is crazy. As I noted, the only way they don't is if the game is really lopsided and Bama suffers some serious injuries that make them look like a shell of the currently dominant team. My only question would be where they would be seeded. Poor Clemson is terrified that Bama will lose and drop to the #4 slot, again giving Clemson the unlucky task of being the #1 team that has to play the best team.

-Jason "there is no way the playoff will put UGA and Bama into the #2/#3 spots to give them an immediate rematch" Evans
    Would an even worse (or better, depending on your perspective) scenario be if you took your chaos scenario then add on Clemson and ND losing? Then there is a long list of one loss teams and it would be very challenging to choose between them. I know this is extremely unlikely but just throwing it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Would an even worse (or better, depending on your perspective) scenario be if you took your chaos scenario then add on Clemson and ND losing? Then there is a long list of one loss teams and it would be very challenging to choose between them. I know this is extremely unlikely but just throwing it out there.
    Yes, that would be more chaotic, but I think the key to change is pissing off the power players, and that means locking as many major conferences out of the playoff as possible. Believe me, watching 2 SEC teams and an independent play for the title while the B10, P12, and B12 sit at home will get those three conferences motivated to create a bigger playoff.

These things change in a progression. The bowls were an improvement on there being only a regular season. Then the BCS was an improvement on the bowls. What so many people never understood is that the problem wasn't the BCS - it was the totally broken system (meaning, a broken system for getting a consensus natty champ). The BCS moved us closer to a legit nat champ than the bowl systems with the Rose and Orange and Cotton and Sugar automatic tie ins - but people acted like we had a perfect system and the BCS came and messed it up. Not so. The people who designed the BCS system KNEW there would eventually be a playoff system. They knew the BCS was interim step

Now the 4 team play off is an improvement to the old BCS. An 8 team will probably be the sweet spot, and it will happen.
    Last edited by HereBeforeCoachK; 11-19-2018 at 12:48 PM. Reason: just thought of something else brilliant...:)

Agreed, except I think it should be even a week earlier, so that the entire season ends on New Years Day. And the games should be played at the campus of the higher team, other than the title game, which can rotate around neutral sites.

We have a zillion bowls. They aren't going anywhere. The four-team playoff utilizes three of the high-profile bowls. We might as well find a real use for others, hosting the quarterfinals. But the championship game isn't gonna be earlier than it is now -- week after New Year's Day. That works well with the NFL playoffs and fits most academic schedules.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013