Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Very cool, thanks. But

doesn't necessarily follow, because

The Visigoths controlled territory from Ancient Rome to Spain in the third through eighth centuries. If I met a modern-day Spaniard, would I properly call him a Visogothian? Similarly, many regions in Europe (such as Germany -- "Germania") gain their names from when they were conquered by the Roman Empire yet I doubt any of them would self-identify as Roman or Italian.

But it was just a joke -- I didn't expect any sort of Spanish Inquisition.
    No one expects . . .

. . . To kill a joke with dry pedantry. But I guess my point is that no actual Aztec ever came within say 1,000 miles of what is now San Diego, since their city and empire were far, far away. The first empire to poke its nose around here was the Spanish one.
    Carolina delenda est

Send in the nuns!

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    No one expects . . .

. . . To kill a joke with dry pedantry. But I guess my point is that no actual Aztec ever came within say 1,000 miles of what is now San Diego, since their city and empire were far, far away. The first empire to poke its nose around here was the Spanish one.
    Because they were inquisitive?

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Interestingly, SDSU head coach Brian Dutcher was a longtime Steve Fisher assistant, and Fisher says Dutcher was central to recruiting the Fab Five to Michigan (and later Kawhi to SDSU). Think he'll be asked by ESPN to compare Duke's freshmen to them? It's as if the basketball gods don't want this tiresome debate to go away just yet.
    Brian Dutcher is himself the son of Jim Dutcher, head coach at both our immediately preceding opponent Eastern Michigan (where Jim Dutcher coached George Gervin) and Minnesota (where Jim Dutcher coached Kevin McHale).

The thread title momentarily threw me for a loop...I asked myself we're playing South Dakota State? The body of the OP uses the conventional SDSU.

Whew, confusion dissipates...
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    The thread title momentarily threw me for a loop...I asked myself we're playing South Dakota State? The body of the OP uses the conventional SDSU.

Whew, confusion dissipates...
    Bob, someone changed the title from when I posted it. Probably for the better, but they shortened the name of the opponent.

But more importantly -- what is your view on modern Aztec culture? Or how we are going to stop what appears to be a high-octane offense?

5 pm Eastern kinda sucks for us. Is there a game before ours that may delay our tip-off by 30-40 minutes, or am I going to need to leave early to "beat traffic" on Monday?

Bob, someone changed the title from when I posted it. Probably for the better, but they shortened the name of the opponent.
    Darn moderators!
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Darn moderators!
    LOL. To be fair, they added "in game-thread" to the title so they probably had to shorten somewhere.

My effort to start this thread in a positive, light-hearted way has gone terribly askew. Time to revert to GrumpyPK.

LOL. To be fair, they added "in game-thread" to the title so they probably had to shorten somewhere.

My effort to start this thread in a positive, light-hearted way has gone terribly askew. Time to revert to GrumpyPK.
    You should be reading Ymm, Beer now. Those folks are reeeeaaallly out of control today.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Or how we are going to stop what appears to be a high-octane offense?
    I’m not sure how high powered the Aztec’s offense is. They are a well coached team, with Dutcher taking the baton from Fisher quite smoothly. I’m not very familiar with this year’s team, but they tend to favor long athletic players, but are searching for someone to pair with Jalen McDaniels (6’10”, 195) in the post. Matt Mitchell is a strong 6-6, 240 and they have a senior point guard who appears to be a decent shooter.

They won big in their last game by running against a tired, overmatched opponent.

If Duke comes out fired up on D, this one will get out of control very quickly. If SDSU can limit turnovers, run a patient half-court offense and get Zion and Barrett in foul trouble, I could see a relatively tight game for a while.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    You should be reading Ymm, Beer now. Those folks are reeeeaaallly out of control today.
    I resemble that remark

Hopefully the team is taking them more seriously than this board!

Don’t know if we have a serious basketball specific post yet and we are deep into page two.. not that I’m any different, this team is something from my imagination only. Against a good MAC team, Duke sat Cam (the #3 or #4 potential draft pick for a half) and kept the same advantage. Imagine any other team doing that... ever!
    The ceiling is the roof

I didn't expect any sort of Spanish Inquisition.
    Why? You are a regular here! 😂

It’s the Comfy Chair for you, infidel.

This one will bring back memories of the 2015 tourney that kicked off in Charlotte when we handled SDSU pretty well

Cam?

Do we know how Cam is doing going into this game? Was is injury minor enough to where it won't matter?

Getting this thread back on track... how long do you think we'll continue to start Bolden? Right now our best lineup is clearly the four freshmen plus Jack White. But long-term it makes sense to let Bolden develop because he gives us more positional flexibility when going up against a team with a scoring big. Kentucky has a good front line and our small lineup did great against them, but I still think Bolden is a key piece to our team reaching its peak.

At the moment however, I would argue that Bolden is 7th in our rotation behind Jack and Javin.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Do we know how Cam is doing going into this game? Was is injury minor enough to where it won't matter?
    FWIW, K said after our last game that Cam could have come back that game but was kept out because of the rout. U less something strange happened, I expect him to be fine.

Don’t recall a thread ever with the word Visigoths mentioned.