Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Coyote numbers on the rise in suburban areas.

The coyote population is growing at an explosive rate here in suburban NC. A recent survey from the NCWRC shows that nearly 60% of our suburban neighborhoods have populations of coyotes, which are becoming more bold as they grow used to people and their ways.
    Canis Latrans is an intelligent animal, which, because of competition with the larger and more powerful gray wolf, led the coyote to become more furtive than its larger cousin.
    It had to use its wits to survive. Hunters who know both animals claim the coyote is far more intelligent than the wolf. Usually, coyotes in our developments use nearby woods to hide during the day, coming out after dark to forage. A new tactic has been used by coyotes to overwhelm large dogs. One coyote will get the dog to give chase while others wait in ambush.
    Last Friday, my wife was walking my 18 month old Plott hound Smoky. In case you are not familiar with the Plott hound, it's a large hound bred here in NC (our state dog) to tackle bear and wild boar. Smoky weighs 64 pounds, and is very strong. Mary had turned the corner and was heading home when she saw what she thought was a smallish German shepherd coming her way. Smoky growled and surged at his leash. Then the animal turned to go back the way it had come and she saw it was a coyote. This was ten in the morning in broad daylight.
    Sometimes we hear them howling in the distance, but always after dark. I guess this one didn't want to try conclusions with Smoky.
    But this problem is becoming more and more acute. Pets and children are potential prey to these animals. So please keep your eyes open and notify authorities if you see coyotes in your neighborhood. I don't want to read about children attacked just because we were not vigilant.. Plott hounds are terrific fighters, and my nephew has one named Mojo that has killed four coyotes on their farm near Madison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plott_Hound
    Last edited by Devilwin; 11-15-2018 at 04:11 PM.

We have them here.i hope they never get that bold.
    On The islands small pets go missing they suspect its coyotes.

I am in southern Durham County and have seen coyotes late at night on nearby roads and coyote prints around my house. Of course we have idiot neighbors down the road who leave out food for the neighborhood cats. Kind of ironic when you think about it. Leave food out for cats who are eaten by coyotes attracted by the cat food.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I am in southern Durham County and have seen coyotes late at night on nearby roads and coyote prints around my house. Of course we have idiot neighbors down the road who leave out food for the neighborhood cats. Kind of ironic when you think about it. Leave food out for cats who are eaten by coyotes attracted by the cat food.
    One was in my yard yesterday AM. Of course, we also have bear, elk, moose, fox, etc...
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

You don't need neighbors like that, as they are part of the problem.

I have seen a coyote in my yard in suburban Asheville, for what it's worth.

We’ve had a coyote here this week in my suburban CT neighborhood. Also had a very rare bobcat sighting—both in the same week!

I'm not sure I'm broadly on board with criticizing people who leave food out for cats outdoors...seems like a pretty normal thing to do. Are you really suggesting that Coyotes are being drawn in by cat food?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I'm not sure I'm broadly on board with criticizing people who leave food out for cats outdoors...seems like a pretty normal thing to do. Are you really suggesting that Coyotes are being drawn in by cat food?
    Yes. Coyotes will eat most anything edible. Making pet foods easily obtained has shown to be one of the main reasons coyotes enter towns. Removing excess pet foods after the pet has eaten cuts down on this. Of course, opossums and raccoons also dine on these leftovers. A friend of mine has an alpaca farm in Montgomery County, and has several apple and peach trees. He has seen the coyotes eating the fallen fruit. He keeps two Great Pyrenees dogs and two Plott hounds along with two large donkeys as protection against coyotes in the alpaca pastures. Donkeys are often used as protection against coyotes, they will stomp coyotes to death, and coyotes are terrified of them..

Here is a good article on the subject..
    https://phys.org/news/2012-10-coyote...ban-areas.html

And a hero saves his little buddy!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQbXSl1ReuQ

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    One was in my yard yesterday AM. Of course, we also have bear, elk, moose, fox, etc...
    Bet you don't let no damn Wildcats in your yard!

Hell, over a decade ago I saw coyotes on railroad tracks in urban Saint Louis. (Wellston, technically, a distressed WWI-era streetcar suburb). I'd say I'd hope they're eating the possums, but I gather the possums eat ticks, so maybe not.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Hell, over a decade ago I saw coyotes on railroad tracks in urban Saint Louis. (Wellston, technically, a distressed WWI-era streetcar suburb). I'd say I'd hope they're eating the possums, but I gather the possums eat ticks, so maybe not.
    They're frequently observed throughout Metro Chicago these days. I wish they ate more skunks, especially the ones that sprayed my dogs twice in the last 3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    They're frequently observed throughout Metro Chicago these days. I wish they ate more skunks, especially the ones that sprayed my dogs twice in the last 3 months.
    don't worry, your dogs will get them the next time, for sure! Dogs like to think positive...

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Bet you don't let no damn Wildcats in your yard!
    No doubt we have lions strolling through our yard at night. I haven't seen one, and that's just fine with me.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Coyote Infestation

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    One of my friends killed three coyotes yesterday. They were hunting deer with dogs and dogs flushed the coyotes first. This is in the Northern Neck of Virginia, the northernmost of the Virginia peninsulas.

I'm not going to go so far with this but crossbows are a quiet option for many nuisance animals.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    I'm not going to go so far with this but crossbows are a quiet option for many nuisance animals.
    they work well for zombies, too, if it comes to that.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    I prefer the water cooled .30 cal I took from the hall monitor.