Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

The "I'm Not Going to Jinx It" Thread, 2018-19 Basketball Edition

Ultrarunner used to start this thread, but he has taken a break from the boards and entrusted this bit of DBR tradition to me. As Brevity reminds us, this thread acts as a replacement for the various "Upset Alert" threads that used to pop-up episodically on the boards. So, the gist of this thread is to alert folks to a potential basketball upset, but to do so in a way that only alludes to what is happening, so as not to "jinx" the outcome by talking about it directly. Ultrarunner used to say "use this thread to talk about something, *anything,* other than the impending upset," but that's typically done in a way that obliquely references the upset.

Example from last night: Whiskey from the highlands tends to be better than Irish whiskey. Translation: The Highlanders of Radford upset the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame.

Distilled down (see what I did there?), the overall point is to have fun with the topsy-turvy would of college basketball.

Enjoy!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Thanks for starting this up again. Over the past few years it's been one of my favorites on the board.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Do deacons preach sermons about how St. Joseph is the patron saint of dying?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Do deacons preach sermons about how St. Joseph is the patron saint of dying?
    Nice of you to wake us up.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Nice of you to wake us up.
    Somebody woke up, but whoever is Manning the collection plate is still napping.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Somebody woke up, but whoever is Manning the collection plate is still napping.
    Deacs lose to St. Joe’s by 20. Looks like another long winter here in Switzerland.

Deacs lose to St. Joe’s by 20. Looks like another long winter here in Switzerland.
    It was tied at the half. St. Joe's basically scored their same from the first, while the Deacs halved their output.
    Manning has to be on the hot seat early.

It was tied at the half. St. Joe's basically scored their same from the first, while the Deacs halved their output.
    Titan elephants seem to leave quite the Wake too.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Titan elephants seem to leave quite the Wake too.
    How big is the No Wake Zone in Myrtle Beach?

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Ultrarunner used to start this thread, but he has taken a break from the boards and entrusted this bit of DBR tradition to me. As Brevity reminds us, this thread acts as a replacement for the various "Upset Alert" threads that used to pop-up episodically on the boards. So, the gist of this thread is to alert folks to a potential basketball upset, but to do so in a way that only alludes to what is happening, so as not to "jinx" the outcome by talking about it directly. Ultrarunner used to say "use this thread to talk about something, *anything,* other than the impending upset," but that's typically done in a way that obliquely references the upset.

Example from last night: Whiskey from the highlands tends to be better than Irish whiskey. Translation: The Highlanders of Radford upset the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame.

Distilled down (see what I did there?), the overall point is to have fun with the topsy-turvy would of college basketball.

Enjoy!
    We already had a thread for this season but no worries. It got lost in the weeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    We already had a thread for this season but no worries. It got lost in the weeds.
    Sorry, but that was not a valid thread. It was a standard Upset Alert thread that pretended to be Anti-Jinx, and absolutely the reason that Wofford lost the game. (By my estimation, UNC has won about 50 games simply because Duke fans could NOT play it cool. They got excited too early and overshared.)

Do not merge, and accept no substitutes.

As in many sports, it would appear that a great player is not necessarily a great (or possibly even good) hoop coach...off the top of my head, many of the great hoop coaches seemed to have played the game, but
    not star level well...(e.g. K, Knight, etc)..did any star players become star hoop coaches? I guess Steve Kerr does come to mind...maybe not a star player, but a solid one for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    As in many sports, it would appear that a great player is not necessarily a great (or possibly even good) hoop coach...off the top of my head, many of the great hoop coaches seemed to have played the game, but
    not star level well...(e.g. K, Knight, etc)..did any star players become star hoop coaches? I guess Steve Kerr does come to mind...maybe not a star player, but a solid one for sure.
    Lenny Wilkens. HOF'er in both categories.

Boeheim started at guard opposite Dave Bing at Syracuse. He then played a couple years of minor league pro ball. He was pretty good.

Lenny Wilkens. HOF'er in both categories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Boeheim started at guard opposite Dave Bing at Syracuse. He then played a couple years of minor league pro ball. He was pretty good.
    And who could forget Herb Sendek's hardwood wizardry at Carnegie-Mellon?

I wouldn't consider Quin Snyder "a star" when he played at Duke (at least not one that we speak of often today), but he was a starter. Hard to argue that he ain't doing too bad in his coaching career.

Edit...there will prob be a few in K's tree that could fit this mold.

Bobby Hurley was a great basketball player and he’s off to a pretty good coaching start so time will tell. Johnny Dawkins was also great but, like Patrick Ewing and Penny Hardaway, he’s yet to achieve coaching greatness.

Manning seemed like he was also off to a good start after 2-years at Tulsa. I’m surprised how ineffective he’s been at Wake.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Johnny Dawkins was also great but, like Patrick Ewing and Penny Hardaway, he’s yet to achieve coaching greatness.
    To get this thread somewhat back on track, JD has his team in the finals on Sunday of the Myrtle Beach Invitational. They face St. Joes, the team that beat Wake yesterday.

To get this thread somewhat back on track, JD has his team in the finals on Sunday of the Myrtle Beach Invitational. They face St. Joes, the team that beat Wake yesterday.
    What rhymes with Trajan Raisins?
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Who would guess that the best test against the Bulldogs would be a non-conference one?