Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 475

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem

    The "I'm Not Going to Jinx It" Thread, 2018-19 Basketball Edition

    Ultrarunner used to start this thread, but he has taken a break from the boards and entrusted this bit of DBR tradition to me. As Brevity reminds us, this thread acts as a replacement for the various "Upset Alert" threads that used to pop-up episodically on the boards. So, the gist of this thread is to alert folks to a potential basketball upset, but to do so in a way that only alludes to what is happening, so as not to "jinx" the outcome by talking about it directly. Ultrarunner used to say "use this thread to talk about something, *anything,* other than the impending upset," but that's typically done in a way that obliquely references the upset.

    Example from last night: Whiskey from the highlands tends to be better than Irish whiskey. Translation: The Highlanders of Radford upset the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame.

    Distilled down (see what I did there?), the overall point is to have fun with the topsy-turvy would of college basketball.

    Enjoy!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    Thanks for starting this up again. Over the past few years it's been one of my favorites on the board.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Do deacons preach sermons about how St. Joseph is the patron saint of dying?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Do deacons preach sermons about how St. Joseph is the patron saint of dying?
    Nice of you to wake us up.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Nice of you to wake us up.
    Somebody woke up, but whoever is Manning the collection plate is still napping.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Somebody woke up, but whoever is Manning the collection plate is still napping.
    Deacs lose to St. Joeís by 20. Looks like another long winter here in Switzerland.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Deacs lose to St. Joeís by 20. Looks like another long winter here in Switzerland.
    It was tied at the half. St. Joe's basically scored their same from the first, while the Deacs halved their output.
    Manning has to be on the hot seat early.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It was tied at the half. St. Joe's basically scored their same from the first, while the Deacs halved their output.
    Manning has to be on the hot seat early.
    Titan elephants seem to leave quite the Wake too.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Titan elephants seem to leave quite the Wake too.
    How big is the No Wake Zone in Myrtle Beach?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It was tied at the half. St. Joe's basically scored their same from the first, while the Deacs halved their output.
    Manning has to be on the hot seat early.
    As in many sports, it would appear that a great player is not necessarily a great (or possibly even good) hoop coach...off the top of my head, many of the great hoop coaches seemed to have played the game, but
    not star level well...(e.g. K, Knight, etc)..did any star players become star hoop coaches? I guess Steve Kerr does come to mind...maybe not a star player, but a solid one for sure.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    As in many sports, it would appear that a great player is not necessarily a great (or possibly even good) hoop coach...off the top of my head, many of the great hoop coaches seemed to have played the game, but
    not star level well...(e.g. K, Knight, etc)..did any star players become star hoop coaches? I guess Steve Kerr does come to mind...maybe not a star player, but a solid one for sure.
    Lenny Wilkens. HOF'er in both categories.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    As in many sports, it would appear that a great player is not necessarily a great (or possibly even good) hoop coach...off the top of my head, many of the great hoop coaches seemed to have played the game, but
    not star level well...(e.g. K, Knight, etc)..did any star players become star hoop coaches? I guess Steve Kerr does come to mind...maybe not a star player, but a solid one for sure.
    Boeheim started at guard opposite Dave Bing at Syracuse. He then played a couple years of minor league pro ball. He was pretty good.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It was tied at the half. St. Joe's basically scored their same from the first, while the Deacs halved their output.
    Manning has to be on the hot seat early.
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    As in many sports, it would appear that a great player is not necessarily a great (or possibly even good) hoop coach...off the top of my head, many of the great hoop coaches seemed to have played the game, but
    not star level well...(e.g. K, Knight, etc)..did any star players become star hoop coaches? I guess Steve Kerr does come to mind...maybe not a star player, but a solid one for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Lenny Wilkens. HOF'er in both categories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Boeheim started at guard opposite Dave Bing at Syracuse. He then played a couple years of minor league pro ball. He was pretty good.
    And who could forget Herb Sendek's hardwood wizardry at Carnegie-Mellon?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I wouldn't consider Quin Snyder "a star" when he played at Duke (at least not one that we speak of often today), but he was a starter. Hard to argue that he ain't doing too bad in his coaching career.

    Edit...there will prob be a few in K's tree that could fit this mold.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Ultrarunner used to start this thread, but he has taken a break from the boards and entrusted this bit of DBR tradition to me. As Brevity reminds us, this thread acts as a replacement for the various "Upset Alert" threads that used to pop-up episodically on the boards. So, the gist of this thread is to alert folks to a potential basketball upset, but to do so in a way that only alludes to what is happening, so as not to "jinx" the outcome by talking about it directly. Ultrarunner used to say "use this thread to talk about something, *anything,* other than the impending upset," but that's typically done in a way that obliquely references the upset.

    Example from last night: Whiskey from the highlands tends to be better than Irish whiskey. Translation: The Highlanders of Radford upset the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame.

    Distilled down (see what I did there?), the overall point is to have fun with the topsy-turvy would of college basketball.

    Enjoy!
    We already had a thread for this season but no worries. It got lost in the weeds.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    We already had a thread for this season but no worries. It got lost in the weeds.
    Sorry, but that was not a valid thread. It was a standard Upset Alert thread that pretended to be Anti-Jinx, and absolutely the reason that Wofford lost the game. (By my estimation, UNC has won about 50 games simply because Duke fans could NOT play it cool. They got excited too early and overshared.)

    Do not merge, and accept no substitutes.

  17. #17
    Bobby Hurley was a great basketball player and heís off to a pretty good coaching start so time will tell. Johnny Dawkins was also great but, like Patrick Ewing and Penny Hardaway, heís yet to achieve coaching greatness.

    Manning seemed like he was also off to a good start after 2-years at Tulsa. Iím surprised how ineffective heís been at Wake.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Johnny Dawkins was also great but, like Patrick Ewing and Penny Hardaway, heís yet to achieve coaching greatness.
    To get this thread somewhat back on track, JD has his team in the finals on Sunday of the Myrtle Beach Invitational. They face St. Joes, the team that beat Wake yesterday.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    To get this thread somewhat back on track, JD has his team in the finals on Sunday of the Myrtle Beach Invitational. They face St. Joes, the team that beat Wake yesterday.
    What rhymes with Trajan Raisins?
    Singler is IRON

    I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Who would guess that the best test against the Bulldogs would be a non-conference one?
    1991 -- 1992 -- 2001 -- 2010 -- 2015

Similar Threads

  1. Iím Not Going To Jinx It - 2018 Football Edition
    By DU82 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 10-27-2018, 01:49 PM
  2. The "I'm not going to jinx it" thread 2017-18
    By Ultrarunner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 682
    Last Post: 06-21-2018, 06:23 AM
  3. The "I'm not going to jinx it" thread, v3.0
    By Ultrarunner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 403
    Last Post: 07-10-2017, 07:11 PM
  4. The "I'm not going to jinx it" thread 2016
    By Ultrarunner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 301
    Last Post: 03-21-2016, 06:02 AM
  5. The "I'm not going to jinx it" thread
    By Ultrarunner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 490
    Last Post: 04-04-2015, 10:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •