Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    Watching Marquette-Buffalo now, Markus Howard can score. 24 straight by himself as it looks like the Bulls will take their first L.
    Howard scored 40 points... in the second half! He had 45 in the game as the Fighting Wojos knocked of the used-to-be-Hurleys.

-Jason "Marquette looks like the real deal, perhaps the best team in the Big East... Wojo making his K-replacement pitch" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The other Devils (Land of the Sun variety) take down Kansas for the second year in a row, for their first home win against a #1 ever. They never led until 2 minutes left, and somehow hung on for the W.

Strange mix of fans at today's game, caught my eye on TV.
    IMG_0689.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    The other Devils (Land of the Sun variety) take down Kansas for the second year in a row, for their first home win against a #1 ever. They never led until 2 minutes left, and somehow hung on for the W.
    And presumably moving Duke back atop the poll...

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Howard scored 40 points... in the second half! He had 45 in the game as the Fighting Wojos knocked of the used-to-be-Hurleys.

-Jason "Marquette looks like the real deal, perhaps the best team in the Big East... Wojo making his K-replacement pitch" Evans
    But can he coach big men?

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    But can he coach big men?
    Definitely needs Alcindor or Laettner as an assistant!

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post
    IMG_0689.jpg
    My new favorite Duke fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post
    IMG_0689.jpg
    I have bad news...

This is the shirt he was wearing.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I have bad news...

This is the shirt he was wearing.
    Oh. That’s different then.

[Emily Litella] Never mind. [/Emily Litella]

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Oh. That’s different then.

[Emily Litella] Never mind. [/Emily Litella]
    ...but think about this....it's a Carolina-Kentucky game, and people are so Duke obsessed they were shirts like that. Amazing.

Seems to me there was a UConn game a few years ago where there were a lot of "DUCK FUKE" shirts in the crowd, and Duke wasn't even playing....

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    ...but think about this...it's a Carolina-Kentucky game, and people are so Duke obsessed they were shirts like that. Amazing.

Seems to me there was a UConn game a few years ago where there were a lot of "DUCK FUKE" shirts in the crowd, and Duke wasn't even playing...
    Agreed, I always felt that if fans of other teams are wearing shirts that say (or connote) "Duke", even if derogatory, then you just KNOW you're swimming in their little heads playing all sorts of mind games. I love seeing those shirts and it's a reason I refuse to buy any of the "Duke > UNC" shirts the stores offer. Why would I bother to spend money and give their fans the benefit of putting their team's logo on me?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I don't know if you all are being facetious or not, but that is definitely not the same shirt that the guy is wearing in that picture. Could still be negative towards Duke, but in the era of fake news, I felt compelled to say something.

Quote Originally Posted by fraggler View Post
    I don't know if you all are being facetious or not, but that is definitely not the same shirt that the guy is wearing in that picture. Could still be negative towards Duke, but in the era of fake news, I felt compelled to say something.
    It is not the same shirt but when I was watching the game, I did see someone in a crowd shot wearing a Duke Sucks T-shirt. I think it may have been the same fellow. Why would anyone wear a Duke t-shirt to a UNC/Kentucky game unless you wanted to get beaten up by both sets of fans? If you owned a Duke Sucks shirt, there is no better time to wear it to a game. Everyone in the audience would love you.

Bobby's Sun Devils go down to Princeton. Yikes.

No reason for alarm or concern. Coming out of the Kansas and Princeton games 1-1 was probably what everyone expected to happen

Happens to us all the time - a team gets up and plays great to upset us, then has a letdown in their next game. Though to be fair, Princeton is no pushover as we saw for about 25 minutes when we played them.

St. John’s fell to Seton Hall last night. Our (I’m a prof there now) first loss of the season (now 12-1). Questionable call near the end of the game (disallowing a steal on an inbounds play) allowed the Pirates to win the game on a last second three, but SJ missed the front end of a couple of 1 and 1s, and also let a lead slip away.

Hopefully a learning experience for the Johnnies. I think SJ will give us a game in Cameron.

Carte'are Gordon leaving Saint Louis

Usually, I don't pay much attention to the transfer situation of mid-major schools, but this one grabbed my attention. Carte'are Gorden, a 6'9" freshman PF from Saint Louis announced today that he is going to transfer. Gordon was in the top 75 in his recruiting class. It was a pretty big deal for the hometown Billikens to snag the local product. Gordon was averaging about 9 points, 4 rebounds, and an assist, steal, and block-and-a-half per game in 24.5 minutes of action, including starting 9 games. He has hit 2 of 5 3-point attempts as well, although just 50% of his free throws. His defensive stats are really good for a freshman in the A10.

We know that Duke's current frontcourt is going to be completely gone by the time fall 2020 rolls around. Bolden, DeLaurier, White, Robinson, and Vernon Carey will all be graduated and/or off to the NBA. If Duke snags Isaiah Stewart, he will most certainly be another one-and-done, too. Gordon seems like just the kind of player that Duke should target, if his academics and fit with the team works, of course. He's bouncy, can block shots, make a jumper, and looking for a higher profile. Even as Duke offers kids from the Class of 2020, I'm thinking a transfer this summer or a grad transfer in 2020 is going to happen to help fill out the frontcourt depth and add experience.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Usually, I don't pay much attention to the transfer situation of mid-major schools, but this one grabbed my attention. Carte'are Gorden, a 6'9" freshman PF from Saint Louis announced today that he is going to transfer. Gordon was in the top 75 in his recruiting class. It was a pretty big deal for the hometown Billikens to snag the local product. Gordon was averaging about 9 points, 4 rebounds, and an assist, steal, and block-and-a-half per game in 24.5 minutes of action, including starting 9 games. He has hit 2 of 5 3-point attempts as well, although just 50% of his free throws. His defensive stats are really good for a freshman in the A10.

We know that Duke's current frontcourt is going to be completely gone by the time fall 2020 rolls around. Bolden, DeLaurier, White, Robinson, and Vernon Carey will all be graduated and/or off to the NBA. If Duke snags Isaiah Stewart, he will most certainly be another one-and-done, too. Gordon seems like just the kind of player that Duke should target, if his academics and fit with the team works, of course. He's bouncy, can block shots, make a jumper, and looking for a higher profile. Even as Duke offers kids from the Class of 2020, I'm thinking a transfer this summer or a grad transfer in 2020 is going to happen to help fill out the frontcourt depth and add experience.
    If he is leaving school now, then he is looking to be eligible in January of next year, when Duke projects to have a very crowded front-court.

He looks like a midwest/Big Ten kinda kid. Mizzu, Kansas, Marquette, Illinois, Oklahoma, and Notre Dame were some of the most prominent schools that made offers when he was in high school. Kansas has been big in the transfer market in recent years. If he is looking for a higher profile, that could be a likely landing spot.

If he is leaving school now, then he is looking to be eligible in January of next year, when Duke projects to have a very crowded front-court.

He looks like a midwest/Big Ten kinda kid. Mizzu, Kansas, Marquette, Illinois, Oklahoma, and Notre Dame were some of the most prominent schools that made offers when he was in high school. Kansas has been big in the transfer market in recent years. If he is looking for a higher profile, that could be a likely landing spot.
    The interest from Duke is entirely wild speculation on my behalf. He was just someone that I thought might be a fit based on what we know of the roster situation. In chatting with a few SLU fans on reddit, they are wondering if Gordon has the right work ethic or interest in being in college.

Kansas or Mizzou might be a fit, although both seem to have incumbent players at the same position. For Mizzou, it is Jeremiah Tilmon. For Kansas, the whole Silvio DeSousa situation, not to mention Mitch Lightfoot and possibly one or both Lawson brothers.