Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 521
  1. #281
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    See the official rules thanks to JetpackJesus. A coach can request a monitor review...during last two minutes (if time has been stopped) and will lose a timeout if the original call is confirmed. I am pretty confident that the commentators were not speaking metaphorically. They seemed to say that K did officially ask for the review, and it appeared that way from what I could see. Of course, the commentators arenít always paying close attention to the game
    What happens if the coach is out of timeouts so has none to lose?

  2. #282
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    What happens if the coach is out of timeouts so has none to lose?
    The refs would then invoke Rule 9f; call 919-ROY-KNEW, speak the password (muda umeisha, which is timeout in Swahili) and request the additional timeout from the stockpile of Ol' Huck.
    "Hey, that's Duke LaMere. You know what his name is? His name is Duke LaMere." - Dick Vitale, 12/2/2008 https://youtu.be/B9G9zFzi7Is

  3. #283
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    How many players have they had to withhold from competition or have been suspended by the NCAA under Self? Off the top of my head, there's De Sousa, Billy Preston, Cliff Alexander, Carlton Bragg, and Chieck Diallo. That's a lot of smoke for one program. And only now is KU concerned about an NCAA investigation?
    Totally agree with you, DBA. It has always amazed me that Kansas has had all this swirling around their program for years, yet they seem to get a free pass from everyone - recruits, the media, and the NCAA. Arizona too. Can you imagine what would be said about our program if even one of those players had gone to Duke?

    I think itís about time the NCAA finally starts looking into both those schools. I just hope that the NCAA moves faster than a snailís pace, and recruits start seeing the clouds converging over Lawrence.

  4. #284
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    So what's to stop a coach from "challenging" a call he knows is correct, just to give himself a free timeout?
    an unsuccessful challenge to a call will be charged as a timeout. So if he wins the challenge, no TO, but otherwise there's no free TO.

  5. #285
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Totally agree with you, DBA. It has always amazed me that Kansas has had all this swirling around their program for years, yet they seem to get a free pass from everyone - recruits, the media, and the NCAA. Arizona too. Can you imagine what would be said about our program if even one of those players had gone to Duke?

    I think itís about time the NCAA finally starts looking into both those schools. I just hope that the NCAA moves faster than a snailís pace, and recruits start seeing the clouds converging over Lawrence.
    I would add a school that has cheated for years to those two, but they are bullet proof when it comes to the NCAA. GoDuke!
    Last edited by -jk; 02-14-2019 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Fix quote tag

  6. #286
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I would add a school that has cheated for years to those two, but they are bullet proof when it comes to the NCAA. GoDuke!
    Tried to spork you jv but couldnít, so let me publicly say I agree wholeheartedly with your addition!
    Last edited by -jk; 02-14-2019 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Fix quote tag

  7. #287
    scottdude8's Avatar
    scottdude8 is offline Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Toronto

    Who you rooting for in Tennessee-UK?

    So here's a tough question: who do you root for in the big Tennessee-UK game tomorrow? I'm honestly torn. A couple Tennessee losses down the stretch would go a long way towards us securing the No. 1 overall seed in the tourney. However, a couple more Kentucky losses would all but eliminate them from No. 1 seed contention, making our overall claim to a No. 1 seed stronger in case we falter a touch down the stretch... plus, I think a UK loss helps Michigan more (as my Wolverine's will need to jump Kentucky to have a shot at a No. 1 seed, or at least get the top 2 seed).

    Then there's the non-logical side of things, which says screw UK always... plus I sort of like how Tennessee plays ball.

    What're people thinking?
    Scott Rich on the front page

    Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

    Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

  8. #288
    This is a tough one. I am rooting for both to lose.

  9. #289
    I would just prefer Kentucky not be our 2 seed.

  10. #290
    And to be a little more serious, is there anyone left on Tennesseeís schedule who could possibly beat them? That is the one reason to root for KY.

  11. #291
    Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    I would just prefer Kentucky not be our 2 seed.
    Agree completely. I want them, and several other schools, to be on the opposite side of the draw.

  12. #292
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    So here's a tough question: who do you root for in the big Tennessee-UK game tomorrow? I'm honestly torn. A couple Tennessee losses down the stretch would go a long way towards us securing the No. 1 overall seed in the tourney. However, a couple more Kentucky losses would all but eliminate them from No. 1 seed contention, making our overall claim to a No. 1 seed stronger in case we falter a touch down the stretch... plus, I think a UK loss helps Michigan more (as my Wolverine's will need to jump Kentucky to have a shot at a No. 1 seed, or at least get the top 2 seed).

    Then there's the non-logical side of things, which says screw UK always... plus I sort of like how Tennessee plays ball.

    What're people thinking?
    If those are the two things you are weighing in your mind, you should root for Kentucky. Duke's margin over TN for the overall 1 seed is less than Duke's margin over UK for a 1 seed.

    During the bracket reveal, the Selection Committee guy basically said that Duke and TN were a coin flip for overall #1. (This was surprising to me, btw. I thought we were clearly the overall 1 at that point). We've probably gained some distance on them since then with the wins @UVA and @Lville, though.

  13. #293
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    And to be a little more serious, is there anyone left on Tennesseeís schedule who could possibly beat them? That is the one reason to root for KY.
    Yes, according to KenPom rank, Tennessee has not played any of other top 6 teams in the SEC yet.

    2 games with #7 Kentucky, @#20 LSU, @#36 Ole Miss, vs #23 Mississippi St, and @#17 Auburn. They also play vs #128 Vandy.

    Besides Vandy the only game that they are more than a 66% favorite is Mississippi St (81%).

    I'd put the over/under at 5-2 for Tennessee against that slate
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

    "Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

  14. #294
    scottdude8's Avatar
    scottdude8 is offline Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    If those are the two things you are weighing in your mind, you should root for Kentucky. Duke's margin over TN for the overall 1 seed is less than Duke's margin over UK for a 1 seed.

    During the bracket reveal, the Selection Committee guy basically said that Duke and TN were a coin flip for overall #1. (This was surprising to me, btw. I thought we were clearly the overall 1 at that point). We've probably gained some distance on them since then with the wins @UVA and @Lville, though.
    That's very much along the lines of what I was thinking, although I agree that I think we've pulled ahead after our last two games. Plus, we have more opportunities to improve our resume down the stretch then they do. At the moment those competing factors are basically balanced in my head, so the Michigan rooting interest plus UK hatred may have me leaning towards Tennessee.
    Scott Rich on the front page

    Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

    Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

  15. #295
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    I'll be rooting for Kentucky for 2 reasons...

    1) I want Duke to be undisputed #1. We are already #1 in the advanced metrics. Now we should add the human polls to cement our status as the best in the land.
    2) We beat the !#*#$& out of Kentucky earlier this year. If the Wildcats look good it makes our destruction of them seem all the more impressive.

    -Jason "As I said on the podcast this past week, Duke will be a #1 seed and will get the BigTen's 2nd best team as our #2 seed (one of Michigan, Mich St, or maybe Purdue). Mark it down" Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  16. #296
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I'll be rooting for Kentucky for 2 reasons...

    1) I want Duke to be undisputed #1. We are already #1 in the advanced metrics. Now we should add the human polls to cement our status as the best in the land.
    2) We beat the !#*#$& out of Kentucky earlier this year. If the Wildcats look good it makes our destruction of them seem all the more impressive.

    -Jason "As I said on the podcast this past week, Duke will be a #1 seed and will get the BigTen's 2nd best team as our #2 seed (one of Michigan, Mich St, or maybe Purdue). Mark it down" Evans
    Exactly. Iíll have to shower afterwards, but Iíll be rooting for UK.

  17. #297
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    GTHKY GTH! Duke does not need anyone to lose to look like anything. Destiny is in their own hands. Bring on all comers. If the good guys play with maximum intensity they will win. If not they let others have a chance. I am really interested in how Duke comes out against State. If they blow the doors off, step on their necks and say, "Not today - no chance!" then they learned the right lesson in Louisville. If they come out with another lackluster first half.....well then all this talk about positioning becomes relevant I suppose. This is the one team that the basketball gods can't touch if they play hard ALL THE TIME.

  18. #298
    scottdude8's Avatar
    scottdude8 is offline Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    -Jason "As I said on the podcast this past week, Duke will be a #1 seed and will get the BigTen's 2nd best team as our #2 seed (one of Michigan, Mich St, or maybe Purdue). Mark it down" Evans
    If this happens I might cry. I want to see Duke-Michigan in the Final Four and no earlier.
    Scott Rich on the front page

    Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

    Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

  19. #299
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    If this happens I might cry. I want to see Duke-Michigan in the Final Four and no earlier.
    If itís MSU, Iíll have a difficult time with my son, sister in law, brother in law, and niece. But theyíll have a difficult time with me. And MSU doesnít look like an Elite Eight team these days.

  20. #300
    I might be a bit biased as a Vol for Life, but I will never cheer for Kentucky (unless they play the Cheats and even then I don't feel good about it). It's strange to have any conflict between cheering for Duke and cheering for the Vols. The Vols have never really been relevant to what was going on in Durham before. I would agree with those above who argue that there's no need to cheer against Tennessee. If Duke takes care of business with their own games, I don't think there's much to worry about. With 2 or 3 wins against both UVa and UNoClass plus all the other quality wins on Duke's resume, it would be nearly impossible for Tennessee to put together a better resume.

    Obviously I'm hoping for a meeting in Minnesota to settle this on the court.

Similar Threads

  1. 2018 International Basketball Thread
    By awhom111 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 146
    Last Post: 12-17-2018, 11:43 PM
  2. 2018-19 Basketball catch all thread
    By MarkD83 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 136
    Last Post: 11-19-2018, 01:14 AM
  3. 2018 Basketball Recruiting Thread
    By Duke95 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2886
    Last Post: 08-09-2018, 07:53 PM
  4. NCAA 2018 Tournament Map
    By pfrduke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 04-03-2018, 01:31 AM
  5. NCAA 2018 Sweet Sixteen/Elite Eight
    By brevity in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: 03-25-2018, 04:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •