Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    They brought in Quickley and Hagans, next year they’re bringing in Maxey. It’s pretty crowded at PG, and Green didn’t have the elite size or measurables to be a OAD. It happens. I’m not going to throw stones because we’ve had our share of transfers as well.

I wouldn't make a big thing about what's currently going on at Nova. That program has been playing at a very high level these past few years and a lot of that can be attributed to them having a solid mix of quality talent that had a great deal of experience.

Yes, they lost their 3rd game of the season last night, but two of those losses came to ranked teams (power house Michigan and this year's darling Furman). The loss last night was to a solid Penn team which came into the game with an identical 6-2 record.

A high level of success can often be your own worst enemy. I'd hate to see what this board would look like if our team were to lose 3 games during a 9 game stretch. The season would be over and the world would be coming to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    They brought in Quickley and Hagans, next year they’re bringing in Maxey. It’s pretty crowded at PG, and Green didn’t have the elite size or measurables to be a OAD. It happens. I’m not going to throw stones because we’ve had our share of transfers as well.
    The offseason for Kentucky is going to be more interesting than usual. As is, the team is losing Reid Travis. Keldon Johnson, P.J. Washington and E.J. Montgomery are almost certainly leaving, too. Without Green, they might return Nick Richards as well as Quickley, Hagans, Tyler Herro, and Jermarl Baker. Their current recruiting class consists of Maxey and wing/SF Khalil Whitney. They are overloaded at the guard spots and might only have one frontcourt player with few options remaining in the current recruiting class.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    The offseason for Kentucky is going to be more interesting than usual. As is, the team is losing Reid Travis. Keldon Johnson, P.J. Washington and E.J. Montgomery are almost certainly leaving, too. Without Green, they might return Nick Richards as well as Quickley, Hagans, Tyler Herro, and Jermarl Baker. Their current recruiting class consists of Maxey and wing/SF Khalil Whitney. They are overloaded at the guard spots and might only have one frontcourt player with few options remaining in the current recruiting class.
    Well, I'm not so sure about EJ turning pro. He is not exactly lighting the world on fire thus far and minutes are hard to find in that front court with Travis and Washington and with the move to more and more small ball in all phases of basketball. NBADraft.net does not have him in either their 2019 or 2020 mock drafts. If Kentucky does not land a stud big man, I could certainly see him sticking around to be the featured front-court player on the 2019-20 team.

-Jason "I don't resent him picking them over us... cause it has opened up minutes in which we have seen Jack White shine" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    I wouldn't make a big thing about what's currently going on at Nova. That program has been playing at a very high level these past few years and a lot of that can be attributed to them having a solid mix of quality talent that had a great deal of experience.

Yes, they lost their 3rd game of the season last night, but two of those losses came to ranked teams (power house Michigan and this year's darling Furman). The loss last night was to a solid Penn team which came into the game with an identical 6-2 record.

A high level of success can often be your own worst enemy. I'd hate to see what this board would look like if our team were to lose 3 games during a 9 game stretch. The season would be over and the world would be coming to an end.
    Nova is in danger of being the next Florida. After winning back-to-back NCAA Championships, Florida missed the NCAA Tournament the next two seasons. Nova might be going down that path.

Next year will feature a lot of talent on the roster, but a lot of youth, too. Seniors Phil Booth and Eric Paschall, along with grad transfer Joe Cremo, will be gone. They don't have a junior on the roster that plays any significant minutes. The team is going to be very, very young next year. They will be talented. In addition to Brain Antoine, a potential one-and-done shooting guard, they are bringing in three other 4-star recruits. One is also a shooting guard and other two are power forwards. In time, they are going to have to figure out the point guard situation as sophomore Collin Gillespie has looked so-so in his sophomore year and freshman Jahvon Quinerly has really struggled.

I wouldn't bet against Jay Wright in the long run. But I also should note that Nova hasn't made it out of the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament in 7 of the past 9 seasons. If Nova continues to struggle this year, they may miss the tournament altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Well, I'm not so sure about EJ turning pro. He is not exactly lighting the world on fire thus far and minutes are hard to find in that front court with Travis and Washington and with the move to more and more small ball in all phases of basketball. NBADraft.net does not have him in either their 2019 or 2020 mock drafts. If Kentucky does not land a stud big man, I could certainly see him sticking around to be the featured front-court player on the 2019-20 team.

-Jason "I don't resent him picking them over us... cause it has opened up minutes in which we have seen Jack White shine" Evans
    In the long run, it would make a lot of sense for Montgomery to stick around for a few years in Lexington. But not many players there are taking a long run view of things. Jarred Vanderbilt only played a minor role in 14 games for the Wildcats last season and turned that into a second round draft selection and non-guaranteed minimum salary contract with the Denver Nuggets. Wenyen Gabriel, who was "brave enough to say no to Duke," signed a two-way contract with the Sacramento Kings after going undrafted after last season. The goal lately seems to be to get our as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yup, which could make talking him out of it this time more difficult. I mean, how many times is he to be expected to drink the Calipari Kool-aid?
    Kentucky has officially announced that Quade Green is transferring. No word yet on his destination.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Nova is in danger of being the next Florida. After winning back-to-back NCAA Championships, Florida missed the NCAA Tournament the next two seasons. Nova might be going down that path.

Next year will feature a lot of talent on the roster, but a lot of youth, too. Seniors Phil Booth and Eric Paschall, along with grad transfer Joe Cremo, will be gone. They don't have a junior on the roster that plays any significant minutes. The team is going to be very, very young next year. They will be talented. In addition to Brain Antoine, a potential one-and-done shooting guard, they are bringing in three other 4-star recruits. One is also a shooting guard and other two are power forwards. In time, they are going to have to figure out the point guard situation as sophomore Collin Gillespie has looked so-so in his sophomore year and freshman Jahvon Quinerly has really struggled.

I wouldn't bet against Jay Wright in the long run. But I also should note that Nova hasn't made it out of the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament in 7 of the past 9 seasons. If Nova continues to struggle this year, they may miss the tournament altogether.
    This is also a nice reminder of how good we have it as Duke fans. Aside from that brief blip in the mid-90s from which Coach K recovered in a BIG way, Duke is always in the tournament and almost always has a decent shot to win it all. In fact, Duke has never finished a season rated lower than 17th in KenPom, which goes back to 2002. Even the "disastrous" 2007 team was a top 10 KenPom team that lost a few too many close games and could have made a deeper run with better luck.

Anyway, Villanova has not looked good this year, but it's not really all that strange. In addition to the aforementioned Florida teams, UNC followed up '09 with the glorious (for Duke fans) '10 season and UK fell off a cliff in '13. Even the biggest basketball schools can't run out contenders (or even just really good teams) every single season . . . except for Duke, it seems.
    Who needs a moral victory when you can have a real one?

Steph pulls a Kyrie, right down to the subsequent "I was just joking and probably trolling people who takes this so seriously" explanation

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...asa-invitation

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Steph pulls a Kyrie, right down to the subsequent "I was just joking and probably trolling people who takes this so seriously" explanation

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...asa-invitation
    I find this sort of thing really not funny. It's immensely disrespectful to the people who actually pulled that off with the collective computing power of a graphing calculator plus far more courage than it requires to play basketball. I also think it lends undue and dangerous cultural credence to the current fad of just blithely rejecting facts that one finds inconvenient or uncomfortable.
    I guess I'd be one of those people who takes this too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I find this sort of thing really not funny. It's immensely disrespectful to the people who actually pulled that off with the collective computing power of a graphing calculator plus far more courage than it requires to play basketball. I also think it lends undue and dangerous cultural credence to the current fad of just blithely rejecting facts that one finds inconvenient or uncomfortable.
    One thing *I* need to take more seriously is reading. I was obviously looking for the non-Dukies NBA thread. Whoops.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    One thing *I* need to take more seriously is reading. I was obviously looking for the non-Dukies NBA thread. Whoops.
    Yea, reading DBR is not taught in most schools, it’s takes lots of practice.

I also feel like statements such as these show an athlete's disregard for the pedestal on which they have been placed by young people.

In a day where more and more people regurgitate things they hear without checking actual verified sources, this can cause actual damage.

Former Blue Devil, Jordan Tucker, will suit up for the Butler Bulldogs this coming Saturday:
    https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...iu/2282117002/

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Former Blue Devil, Jordan Tucker, will suit up for the Butler Bulldogs this coming Saturday:
    https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...iu/2282117002/
    Ah, Jordan Tucker .. a distant memory, but it was only 12 months ago.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Watching Baylor/Arizona game and the soft-spoken hippie Bill Walton is on a roll. Such color commentary should be bottled up and saved for prosperity! 4/20 at best.

I don't believe him either....

Quade Green to Washington. I believe that in addition to Kentucky he also strongly considered Syracuse and the coach at Washington was the top assistant at Syracuse during Green's recruitment.

https://www.si.com/college-basketbal...its-washington

If you want to make your eyes hurt, tune in to the Baylor- Oregon game on ESPN2. Fluorescent yellow versus fluorescent green. At least it’s at Baylor, so you don’t have to suffer Oregon’s hideous court.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    If you want to make your eyes hurt, tune in to the Baylor- Oregon game on ESPN2. Fluorescent yellow versus fluorescent green. At least it’s at Baylor, so you don’t have to suffer Oregon’s hideous court.
    Was interesting to see Makai Mason. Watching Marquette-Buffalo now, Markus Howard can score. 24 straight by himself as it looks like the Bulls will take their first L.
    Last edited by robed deity; 12-21-2018 at 10:50 PM.