Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Azubuike Done for Season at KU

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    Looks like Azubuike is done for the season at KU. Tough break for the kid and big blow to KU's chances moving forward:

Attachment 8928
    Yep this is a big deal as it is a blow to a team many considered as one of the favorites to win it all. They still could, but this hurts. I wish him the best for a full recovery. Injuries suck.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...-hand-ligament

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Wow. That is HUGE. After seeing how they played against Iowa State without him I’d now say there’s a legit chance the streak of Big 12 championships is in jeopardy.

I guess the next question for Bill Self is whether he throws Silvio De Sousa back out there to try and replace UA's presence. Time will tell.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

I guess the next question for Bill Self is whether he throws Silvio De Sousa back out there to try and replace UA's presence. Time will tell.
    With Azubuike hurt, De Sousa should demand more money to play.

If KU plays De Sousa at this point and he is found to be ineligible, the NCAA would really be upset and might slap Kansas with some kind of probation/postseason ban in addition to making them forfeit all games in which De Sousa played. The school could not claim "we didn't know." They are obviously fully aware of questions regarding his eligibility. I just don't see Kansas and Self taking that kind of a risk.

And it ain't like Kansas lost to Iowa State because they got mauled inside with Az sitting out... Kansas outrebounded the Cyclones by 15 and Iowa State was not just getting to the rim at will. Iowa State won that game by raining threes all over Kansas... a problem neither Az nor De Sousa would have cured.

-Jason "also worth noting that even when he got decent minutes last year when Az was hurt, De Sousa didn't exactly light the world on fire... a lot to risk on a guy who ain't all that great" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Wow. That is HUGE. After seeing how they played against Iowa State without him I’d now say there’s a legit chance the streak of Big 12 championships is in jeopardy.
    I thought they’ve already been playing most of the season without him? Definitely a tough break, they’ve proven they can play small as he always seems to be in foul trouble even when healthy, but he’s a unique player and not many opponents have an answer for him. I was certainly wondering how we would try to match up with him. With Azubuike and Bol Bol out, there really aren’t that many great centers around.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    If KU plays De Sousa at this point and he is found to be ineligible, the NCAA would really be upset and might slap Kansas with some kind of probation/postseason ban in addition to making them forfeit all games in which De Sousa played. The school could not claim "we didn't know." They are obviously fully aware of questions regarding his eligibility. I just don't see Kansas and Self taking that kind of a risk.

And it ain't like Kansas lost to Iowa State because they got mauled inside with Az sitting out... Kansas outrebounded the Cyclones by 15 and Iowa State was not just getting to the rim at will. Iowa State won that game by raining threes all over Kansas... a problem neither Az nor De Sousa would have cured.

-Jason "also worth noting that even when he got decent minutes last year when Az was hurt, De Sousa didn't exactly light the world on fire... a lot to risk on a guy who ain't all that great" Evans
    The NCAA could punish Kansas by requiring them to travel more than the length of my driveway to get to all of their NCAA Tournament games.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    The NCAA could punish Kansas by requiring them to travel more than the length of my driveway to get to all of their NCAA Tournament games.
    Good one! Is your driveway particularly long?

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Good one! Is your driveway particularly long?
    I prefer this one

chapel-drive-pano_1600-50.jpg
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Take note, Kenpom. Foul when up 3 with 2 seconds left failed in a pretty spectacular way tonight - Oregon was up 13 with 3:45 remaining. UCLA fought back. Oregon was up 3 and fouled UCLA with 2 seconds left. Hands made the first, missed the second on purpose. UCLA gets rebound and lays it in with 0.7 on clock, and GETS FOULED. UCLA misses free throw, sending game to OT. UCLA wins 87-84 in OT.

I'm not a Kenpom subscriber currently but I'd imagine this will be one of the most unlikely wins of season.
    Last edited by gam7; 01-10-2019 at 11:40 PM.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    Take note, Kenpom. Foul when up 3 with 2 seconds left failed in a pretty spectacular way tonight - Oregon was up 13 with 3:45 remaining. UCLA fought back. Oregon was up 3 and fouled UCLA with 2 seconds left. Hands made the first, missed the second on purpose. UCLA gets rebound and lays it in with 0.7 on clock, and GETS FOULED. UCLA misses free throw, sending game to OT. UCLA wins 87-84 in OT.

I'm not a Kenpom subscriber currently but I'd imagine this will be one of the most unlikely wins of season.
    3rd most unlikely so far. Oregon was a 99.8% favorite with a 72-59 lead and under 3 to play. #2 was Charlotte (down 52-28 to Oklahoma State with 12:30 to play). #1 was last night, with Marquette down 85-80 with 2 seconds left, before forcing and winning in overtime.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    3rd most unlikely so far. Oregon was a 99.8% favorite with a 72-59 lead and under 3 to play. #2 was Charlotte (down 52-28 to Oklahoma State with 12:30 to play). #1 was last night, with Marquette down 85-80 with 2 seconds left, before forcing and winning in overtime.
    Marquette scored with 0.8 seconds left to make the score 82-85 in favor of Creighton. Creighton has the ball out of bounds. Marquette wins the game.

Analysis: Creighton tried and whiffed on a full-court in-bounds pass. Marquette gets the ball under its basket, and Sam Hauser hits a three-point shot at the buzzer. Semi-serious suggestion: Creighton should give the ball to a Marquette player standing under his basket. Probably not enough time for a pass and a shot from three.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Marquette scored with 0.8 seconds left to make the score 82-85 in favor of Creighton. Creighton has the ball out of bounds. Marquette wins the game.

Analysis: Creighton tried and whiffed on a full-court in-bounds pass. Marquette gets the ball under its basket, and Sam Hauser hits a three-point shot at the buzzer. Semi-serious suggestion: Creighton should give the ball to a Marquette player standing under his basket. Probably not enough time for a pass and a shot from three.
    Watching that Marquette-Creighton game was fantastic -- lots of back and forth offense, and Howard was just bananas from 3.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Semi-serious suggestion: Creighton should give the ball to a Marquette player standing under his basket. Probably not enough time for a pass and a shot from three.
    I've been saying for years that when you are up 3 with less than a second or two to go, just slowly roll the ball out there inside the three point line. Let the opposing team jump on it like a live hand grenade and watch the time expire.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    Watching that Marquette-Creighton game was fantastic -- lots of back and forth offense, and Howard was just bananas from 3.
    The teams combined for 40...yes, 40 points in overtime. That's eight points per minute. Va Tech and Ga Tech combined for 101 points in 40 minutes...about 2.5 points per minute.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Don’t look now, but Michigan may have gotten even more dangerous with the way Jon Teske is turning into Kevin Pittsnoggle... the 7-1 Teske is just nailing 3s and has 17 points in the first half against a solid, albeit underachieving, Northwestern team. 50-28 at the half.

When Michigan shoots the 3 from every position on the floor like they are tonight it’s going to be hard for anyone to beat them.

https://theathletic.com/765406/2019/01/14/hoop-thoughts-exclusive-kansas-will-ask-ncaa-to-reinstate-silvio-de-sousa/

And there you have it. KU thinks SDS should be reinstates.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Don’t look now, but Michigan may have gotten even more dangerous with the way Jon Teske is turning into Kevin Pittsnoggle... the 7-1 Teske is just nailing 3s and has 17 points in the first half against a solid, albeit underachieving, Northwestern team. 50-28 at the half.

When Michigan shoots the 3 from every position on the floor like they are tonight it’s going to be hard for anyone to beat them.
    If I were voting in the rankings, I'd have them 1 at the moment...though I think this is a match up that favors Duke...head to head.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    If I were voting in the rankings, I'd have them 1 at the moment...though I think this is a match up that favors Duke...head to head.
    It's funny you should mention that, because as we were watching the game last night my wife went, "How is Michigan not No. 1? Oh wait, Duke is Duke." Which definitely plays a part in it, but the fact that Duke has a few more "top-tier" wins than Michigan probably helps to outweigh the one loss in voters minds. FWIW, UVA is still No. 1 in the only rankings that really end up mattering, the NET, followed by Duke and then Michigan. It'd be so helpful if the NCAA would provide some details regarding how the NET is really calculated to figure out why that's the case exactly, but I guess we have to be satisfied with small steps forward, haha.

We chatted a bit about a potential Duke/Michigan matchup in another thread, and I definitely agree that as it stands the matchup favors Duke... in fact, if you had to construct a team to beat Michigan's D, it'd probably look pretty darn similar to Duke. However, one of the newer storylines developing on the Michigan side of things is the fact that Teske is now shooting threes at almost a 30% clip (and that number is weighed down by some early season struggles when he was gaining confidence in that shot), and Zavier Simpson, a guy who has at best an iffy jumper, has turned things around and is now shooting 33% from three (helped significantly by his performance last night). Meanwhile, Jordan Poole and Isaiah Livers (our sixth man who is essentially playing as a sixth starter, as he can play basically any position 3-through-5) are shooting above 45% from 3, Iggy is shooting 38%, and the rest of our regular rotation is all shooting well above 30%. That type of shooting can negate any matchup problem... and it would be a very tall task to beat this Michigan team on a hot night where they shoot 40-50% from deep.

TL;DR: Duke matches up very well against Michigan from an athletic perspective and is probably ideally constructed to give their fantastic D problems. That said, I would want to avoid Michigan for as long as possible (and potentially give me a dream Final Four matchup, haha) the way that the team's shooting has developed from a potential weakness into a definite strength.

P.S. I think I successfully avoided the dual "our/we" problem in this post. Self Sporks! Haha.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

KU at WVA could be interesting today, especially if KU shoots 30-40 more FT than the home team.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.