Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Duke Basketball Crazy/Insane/Interesting Statistics/Records

I’m not sure if starting a thread about this is the way to go, so feel free to move elsewhere if needed, Mods.

I’ve always enjoyed reading crazy stats when it comes to Duke Basketball. Examples: Non-Conference Home Winning Streaks, Years in a row ranked in the top 25, etc. I was reading an article written a couple years ago about impressive Coach K stats. One of them was back when Coach K had 903 wins, Duke’s average margin of victory in all those games was 18.2 points. I find that HIGHLY impressive.

I can’t find a single website out there that states crazy stats like the one I just stated, on one page. I don’t personally know our Non-Conference Home Winning Streak, but could we have a thread keeping track of things like this? I’m sure we have a few posters that keep facts like this in the back of their head.

I’d love to incorporate even recruiting, also. I read the other day that Duke has brought in one of the top 3 High Schoolers in like 8 years in a row, or something close to that.

If this thread is allowed to stick, could we keep track of insane facts regarding our beloved basketball team? I just can’t find a website anywhere (even Wiki) that keeps track of random tidbits like these.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Our streak of games with at least one three made is pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Yeah, it’s things like this that I’d LOVE to be able to find out and know. Something like that didn’t even pop in my head but I’m sure if everyone chimes in, we could all learn some very interesting stuff!!

I like the consecutive seasons with at least 10 wins Jim Sumner referenced. Not too gaudy, but not as easy to maintain as some folks think!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I like the consecutive seasons with at least 10 wins Jim Sumner referenced. Not too gaudy, but not as easy to maintain as some folks think!

-jk
    Yea, the numbers 8 and 20 are always a bit amusing to recall.

9F.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Yea, the numbers 8 and 20 are always a bit amusing to recall.

9F.
    I prefer the numbers 82 and 50. 😬

Do we know what the streak is with at least one 3 made?

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    What is the number for consecutive seasons with at least 10 wins? I, somehow, managed to miss that post from our beloved Sumner.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlue666s View Post
    Do we know what the streak is with at least one 3 made?

What is the number for consecutive seasons with at least 10 wins? I, somehow, managed to miss that post from our beloved Sumner.
    You need to bookmark this page.

If I read the table correctly, the last season without ten wins is 1927-28, when Duke won only five games, although our record was a winning 9-5. So it seems like 91 years. (But maybe I read the table wrong.)
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Duke’s Non-Conference Home Winning Streak is at 146 games, I believe, dating back to 02-26-2000 against St. John’s heart breaking one-point loss (83-82).

If I recall correctly, I’m pretty sure we had an impressive streak in the same category prior to that game also. I can’t locate that exact number anywhere though.

Another impressive stat ... Duke has played 267 games ranked as the #1 team in the country (Most in College Basketball History) with a record of 231-36 in those games.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

If I read the table correctly, the last season without ten wins is 1927-28, when Duke won only five games, although our record was a winning 9-5. So it seems like 91 years. (But maybe I read the table wrong.)
    I’m getting the same answer as you. Now THAT is a cool fact!!

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

Since we just won our 10th game of 2018-19, 91 years in a row is correct. That is the longest current streak in NCAA Division I. I don't know if it's an all-time NCAA record, but pretty good chance that it is.

Marques Bolden had 2 blocks in 6 minutes against Texas Tech, raising his season-long block percentage to 12.9%, a pace that far exceeds Shelden Williams's Duke record of 10.6%.

Cam Reddish had 3 steals in 20 minutes against Texas Tech, raising his season-long steals percentage to 4.72%, a pace beyond that of Wojo's Duke record of 4.54%.

Duke is currently #1 in the nation in steal% (15.0%).
    Duke is currently #2 in the nation in block% (19.4%), behind only Auburn.
    Duke is currently #5 in the nation in OR% (40.1%).
    Duke is currently #6 in the nation in opposing eFG% (41.9%).

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Please accept my apologies for bringing this one up. About halfway through last night's second half, I was beginning to regret this post!

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlue666s View Post
    Duke’s Non-Conference Home Winning Streak is at 146 games, I believe, dating back to 02-26-2000 against St. John’s heart breaking one-point loss (83-82).

If I recall correctly, I’m pretty sure we had an impressive streak in the same category prior to that game also. I can’t locate that exact number anywhere though.

Another impressive stat ... Duke has played 267 games ranked as the #1 team in the country (Most in College Basketball History) with a record of 231-36 in those games.
    The streak prior to the St. John's game wouldn't have been comparable to the current one. Duke lost to Michigan in Cameron in 1996.

Quote Originally Posted by SlapTheFloor View Post
    The streak prior to the St. John's game wouldn't have been comparable to the current one. Duke lost to Michigan in Cameron in 1996.

Duke went from Louisville on January 12, 1983 to Illinois on December 2, 1995 without home loss to a non-ACC team. I'm reasonably certain that is second place on the Duke list.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Marques Bolden had 2 blocks in 6 minutes against Texas Tech, raising his season-long block percentage to 12.9%, a pace that far exceeds Shelden Williams's Duke record of 10.6%.

Cam Reddish had 3 steals in 20 minutes against Texas Tech, raising his season-long steals percentage to 4.72%, a pace beyond that of Wojo's Duke record of 4.54%.

Duke is currently #1 in the nation in steal% (15.0%).
    Duke is currently #2 in the nation in block% (19.4%), behind only Auburn.
    Duke is currently #5 in the nation in OR% (40.1%).
    Duke is currently #6 in the nation in opposing eFG% (41.9%).
    Swatting away a bunch of shots will certainly help your oppo FG %

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke went from Louisville on January 12, 1983 to Illinois on December 2, 1995 without home loss to a non-ACC team. I'm reasonably certain that is second place on the Duke list.
    Yup. And I was in the building 12/2/95. *sigh*
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Yup. And I was in the building 12/2/95. *sigh*
    You. Let. The whole team. Down.

;-)

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    You. Let. The whole team. Down.

;-)
    Nah. I blame Greg Newton ...
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    After the loss to Louisville, Duke's Home Record against Non-Conference Opponents under Coach K stood at 17-5.

The next Non-Conference Home Loss to Illinois (75-65) happened after 95 consecutive wins.

Since the Illinois loss, Duke has won 178 out of 180 Non-Conference Home Games.
    The only two losses were by 1 point each: December 8, 1996 to #7 Michigan 62-61 & February 26, 2000 to St. John's 83-82 in OT.

So, since the Louisville loss, Duke is 273-3 at Home against Non-Conference Opponents.
    Under Coach K, Duke is 290-8.

Not too shabby.