Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    (bringing the thread back to the first page)

With MSU's victories over Bradley and Minnesota, they will keep the belt into the second weekend. Their Sweet 16 match-up is against LSU on Friday.
    with the NCAA victors map, it's fun to watch...but I imagine the walton belt is just the entire country colored by whoever the current title holder is!
    April 1

Teaas Tech

Texas Tech wears the belt into the final game. This thread could be more interesting next year if the belt spends time in the ACC.

Has there ever been a year where the team with the Walton belt did not make the tournament? I think the only way this could happen is if a bottom feeder beat a belt holder in one of the final regular season games in a conference where the bottom teams don't make the tournament.

It would mean that a team from say the OVC, like either Belmont or Murray State won the belt (not horribly unlikely) but then lost their season finale to say Eastern Kentucky. EKU does not make the OVC tourney, thus holds onto the belt!😇😃

Quote Originally Posted by EKU1969 View Post
    It would mean that a team from say the OVC, like either Belmont or Murray State won the belt (not horribly unlikely) but then lost their season finale to say Eastern Kentucky. EKU does not make the OVC tourney, thus holds onto the belt!😇😃
    Don't one or two of the major conferences keep people out still? I know the old Big East did at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Don't one or two of the major conferences keep people out still? I know the old Big East did at one point.
    Because I'm masochistic, I will, at some point over the next few days, track the belt from it's initial holder (the 1939 Oregon Ducks, winner of the 1st NCAA tournament) to present (presumably, Texas Tech).
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Because I'm masochistic, I will, at some point over the next few days, track the belt from it's initial holder (the 1939 Oregon Ducks, winner of the 1st NCAA tournament) to present (presumably, Texas Tech).
    I have sporked pfr in advance for this... and if he fails to produce said results I will be very disappointed
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

So, the early years of the NCAA are, to put it politely, a complete mess. I started with Oregon in the 1939-40 season and was able to track it into the 1943 season when Pittsburgh lost to Westminster which lost to Bethany and I'm sure it will shock no one to know that it's not easy to track down Bethany College basketball results from 1943. I then tried to start with Kentucky after it won the 1949 title - in that season the belt ended up with Siena (winner of the National Catholic Invitational Tournament) which then in 1950 lost to LeMoyne which lost to St. Francis (PA) which lost to Geneva College (where I think it ended the season) and, again, it will shock no one to learn that it's not easy to track down Geneva College basketball results from 1950-51.

So then I restarted with CCNY after it won the 1950 title, and lo and behold there is a clean and clear path from CCNY at the start of the 1950-51 season to UVA at the end of the 2018-19 season. Table in two posts below split up between 1951-79 and 1980-2019 (chart is too big for one post). Some notes:

Once CCNY won the title, the next four champions did not end the season with the belt. In 15 of the seasons from 1951-1979, the belt holder at the end of the year was not the NCAA champion. Since 1979, that number is 0 - the 1979 Wisconsin Badgers are the last team to hold the belt at the end of a season without winning the title. I may try to figure out paths if one assumes new belts are award to each champion and when those belts consolidate on the larger path (likely in the 1980 season at the latest).

Two teams defended a belt over an entire season - they won the title and then went undefeated the next year: 1955-56 San Francisco and 1972-73 UCLA.

There was a four-year run (the 1994-97 seasons) where the defending champion lost its opening game. Massachusetts was responsible for two of those dethronings.

In the 64-team era, there is one season where the belt changed hands each round of the tournament: in 2006, Iowa entered as Big 10 champion and belt-holder, then lost to Northwestern State, which lost to West Virginia, which lost to Texas, which lost to LSU (sigh), which lost to UCLA, which lost to Florida.

2007 is probably the weirdest modern year for the belt. Florida repeated as champions, but the belt went on a long frolic and detour through the Southern Conference and the Colonial before ending up back in Gainesville. It shares the record with 2013 for most times the belt changed hands (21 times) and holds the record for most individual teams to own the belt (19).

On the other end, the shortest path in the 64-team era is 1991 (UNLV-Duke).

1951 CCNY Missouri Nebraska Kansas State Oklahoma Missouri (no postseason)
    1952 Missouri Iowa Indiana St. John's Holy Cross Boston College (no postseason)
    1953 Boston College Rhode Island St. Joseph's Western Kentucky Idaho Oklahoma State Kansas Colorado Missouri Kansas State (no postseason)
    1954 Kansas State Indiana Oregon State Duke Wake Forest NC State La Salle Temple St. John's (no postseason)
    1955 St. John's Temple Kentucky Georgia Tech Vanderbilt Mississippi Tulane Alabama Kentucky Marquette Iowa La Salle San Francisco
    1956 San Francisco
    1957 San Francisco Illinois Kentucky Tulane Mississippi State Florida Vanderbilt (no postseason)
    1958 Vanderbilt Minnesota North Carolina West Virginia Duke Virginia Maryland Temple Kentucky
    1959 Kentucky Vanderbilt Mississippi State (no postseason)
    1960 Mississippi State Memphis Dayton Duquesne St. Bonaventure Bradley (NIT)
    1961 Bradley Houston Miami Saint Louis Providence (NIT)
    1962 Providence Depaul St. Bonaventure Detroit Loyola (Chi.) Marquette Saint Louis Bradley Cincinnati
    1963 Cincinnati Wichita State Bradley Duquesne (no postseason)
    1964 Duquesne Pittsburgh Wisconsin Cincinnati Utah Utah State Utah Arizona Utah Arizona State Utah State San Francisco UCLA
    1965 UCLA Illinois Saint Louis Missouri SMU Memphis Indiana Illinois Michigan Ohio State (no postseason)
    1966 Ohio State UCLA Duke West Virginia Richmond Davidson Syracuse Duke Kentucky Texas Western
    1967 Texas Western New Mexico New Mexico State Villanova Princeton Louisville Cincinnati Saint Louis Louisville Wichita State Tulsa Marquette Southern Illinois (NIT)
    1968 Southern Illinois Iowa Drake Saint Louis Wichita State Drake Wichita State Saint Louis North Texas Bradley Long Island Notre Dame Dayton (NIT)
    1969 Dayton Louisville Tulsa Louisville Drake UCLA
    1970 UCLA Oregon Washington Washington State (no postseason)
    1971 Washington State Gonzaga Utah State BYU Hawaii Loyola (LA) Dayton Louisville Bradley Murray State Eastern Kentucky Western Kentucky Austin Peay (no postseason)
    1972 Austin Peay Texas-Pan American Florida State Houston Jacksonville Providence Pennsylvania North Carolina Florida State UCLA
    1973 UCLA
    1974 UCLA Notre Dame UCLA Oregon State USC UCLA NC State
    1975 NC State Wake Forest Maryland Clemson NC State Clemson Maryland NC State North Carolina Syracuse Kentucky UCLA
    1976 UCLA Indiana
    1977 Indiana Toledo Western Michigan Alabama Tennessee UCLA Washington Stanford Washington State Washington (no postseason)
    1978 Washington Utah State Utah Colorado State Arizona Arizona State UTEP Arizona Utah Notre Dame Duke Kentucky
    1979 Kentucky Indiana Michigan State Illinois Ohio State Michigan State Wisconsin (no postseason)

Bold font indicates where the belt was consolidated with split belts awarded to intervening champions (see later post on the topic).
    Last edited by pfrduke; 04-09-2019 at 07:05 PM.

1980 Wisconsin Depaul Notre Dame Missouri LSU Louisville
    1981 Louisville Depaul Old Dominion Rhode Island St. Bonaventure Penn State Memphis Florida State Cincinnati Louisville Arkansas Indiana
    1982 Indiana Kentucky North Carolina Wake Forest Virginia Maryland NC State North Carolina
    1983 North Carolina St. John's Boston College Syracuse St. John's Pittsburgh Villanova Syracuse Connecticut Villanova St. John's Georgia NC State
    1984 NC State Virginia Tech Richmond VCU South Alabama Old Dominion Charlotte Jacksonville UAB South Florida VCU Richmond James Madison William & Mary Navy Richmond Indiana Virginia Houston Georgetown
    1985 Georgetown St. John's Georgetown Villanova
    1986 Villanova Lamar LSU Alabama Kentucky NC State Maryland Clemson Virginia North Carolina Duke Louisville
    1987 Louisville Northeastern Iowa Ohio State Purdue Indiana Purdue Michigan North Carolina Syracuse Indiana
    1988 Indiana Kentucky Auburn Georgia Vanderbilt LSU Alabama Mississippi Auburn Georgia Kentucky Villanova Oklahoma Kansas
    1989 Kansas Seton Hall Syracuse Villanova Seton Hall Pittsburgh Villanova Syracuse Georgetown Syracuse Georgetown Duke Seton Hall Michigan
    1990 Michigan Arizona Oregon UAB BYU California Arizona UCLA Stanford Arizona Pittsburgh Georgetown Providence Connecticut Georgetown Syracuse Connecticut Duke UNLV
    1991 UNLV Duke
    1992 Duke North Carolina Virginia Georgia Tech North Carolina Duke
    1993 Duke Georgia Tech North Carolina Wake Forest Florida State Duke North Carolina Georgia Tech Southern George Washington Michigan North Carolina
    1994 North Carolina Massachusetts Kansas Temple Georgia Tech Maryland North Carolina Georgia Tech Louisville Charlotte George Washington Rhode Island George Washington Temple Massachusetts Maryland Michigan Arkansas
    1995 Arkansas Massachusetts Kansas Indiana Iowa Michigan State Indiana Illinois Michigan Michigan State Purdue Indiana Michigan Michigan State Iowa Indiana Missouri UCLA
    1996 UCLA Santa Clara Villanova Temple Cincinnati UAB Memphis Louisville Tulane Cincinnati Marquette Cincinnati Mississippi State Syracuse Kentucky
    1997 Kentucky Clemson Minnesota Alabama San Jose State UNLV Hawaii Fresno State Air Force UNLV Colorado State SMU Utah Kentucky Arizona
    1998 Arizona Duke Michigan Indiana Michigan State Illinois Purdue Iowa Illinois Purdue Michigan UCLA Kentucky
    1999 Kentucky Pittsburgh Maryland Kentucky Duke Connecticut

2000 Connecticut Iowa Stanford Arizona USC Oregon Arizona Oregon State Arizona State Stanford North Carolina Florida Michigan State

2001 Michigan State Indiana Michigan Illinois Penn State Indiana Illinois Ohio State Iowa Kentucky USC Duke

2002 Duke Florida State NC State Duke Maryland NC State Duke Indiana Maryland

2003 Maryland Indiana Kentucky Louisville Saint Louis UAB Louisville Butler Oklahoma Syracuse

2004 Syracuse Charlotte Alabama Xavier Duquesne George Washington Richmond Dayton St. Joseph's Xavier Duke Connecticut

2005 Connecticut Massachusetts Miami Georgia Tech North Carolina Wake Forest Florida State Duke Maryland Clemson Georgia Tech NC State North Carolina Georgia Tech Duke Michigan State North Carolina

2006 North Carolina Illinois Iowa Michigan State Michigan Iowa Northwestern Illinois Michigan Ohio State Iowa Northwestern State West Virginia Texas LSU UCLA Florida

2007 Florida Kansas Depaul UAB VCU Appalachian State Elon Chattanooga Wofford Charleston Appalachian State Furman Georgia Southern Elon Georgia State George Mason Northeastern Drexel VCU Pittsburgh UCLA Florida
    2008 Florida Florida State Butler Cleveland State Green Bay Wright State Illinois State Drake Western Kentucky UCLA Memphis Kansas

2009 Kansas Syracuse Cleveland State Wright State Butler Green Bay Youngstown State Cleveland State Wichita State Southern Illinois Bradley Northern Iowa Purdue Connecticut Michigan State North Carolina

2010 North Carolina Syracuse Pittsburgh Georgetown Syracuse Louisville Georgetown Notre Dame West Virginia Duke

2011 Duke Florida State Clemson Virginia Miami Duke Virginia Tech Boston College Clemson North Carolina Duke Arizona Connecticut

2012 Connecticut Central Florida Harvard Connecticut Seton Hall South Florida Marquette Notre Dame St. John's Pittsburgh Connecticut Syracuse Cincinnati Louisville Kentucky

2013 Kentucky Duke NC State Maryland North Carolina NC State Virginia Georgia Tech Florida State Wake Forest Boston College Florida State NC State North Carolina Duke Maryland North Carolina Miami Marquette Syracuse Michigan Louisville
    2014 Louisville North Carolina UAB LSU Rhode Island Saint Louis Duquesne Massachusetts Saint Louis St. Bonaventure St. Joseph's Connecticut

2015 Connecticut West Virginia LSU Missouri Auburn Florida Georgia South Carolina Arkansas Kentucky Wisconsin Duke

2016 Duke Kentucky UCLA North Carolina Louisville Duke Louisville Miami Virginia Tech Miami Virginia North Carolina Villanova

2017 Villanova Butler Creighton Marquette Providence Villanova Butler Seton Hall Villanova Wisconsin Florida South Carolina Gonzaga North Carolina

2018 North Carolina Michigan State Ohio State Penn State Michigan State Michigan Villanova

2019 Villanova Michigan Wisconsin Michigan Penn State Purdue Minnesota Maryland Nebraska Wisconsin Michigan State Texas Tech Virginia

My Lord! Too much time on someone's hands.

Impressive.

Wow, impressive work. You've inspired me to follow up on what I was curious about, and a little more. I'm not interested to see how often the belt was "in dispute". This would be years where the belt did not eventually pass to the NCAA champion.

For example, at the start of the 1952 season, the belt would be disputed with CCNY and Kentucky (ew, bad year) laying a claim. This will take a fair bit of time I think, so we'll see how it goes. I may not go as far back as 1951 in the interest of not doing tons and tons of work.

Tremendous work. Regrettably, I'm unable to spork.

This curmudgeon must point out that Bill Walton was born in November 1952. Maybe that explains why it was so hard to track the belt before that.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    Tremendous work. Regrettably, I'm unable to spork.
    Gotter done. Of course I could not help but think, "Wasn't the NIT the bigger championship some of that time?" (Ducks)

Mighty impressive!

Particularly neat when a team loses the belt and then wins it back later in the year. In both 2002 and 2011, Duke started out with the belt, lost it, regained it, lost it again, and then somehow got it back for a third time.

Even more fun: NC State managed to win the belt twice in 2002, and then promptly lost it to Duke both times! And 2013 looks like a particularly wild year, with the ACC teams trading it back and forth, with multiple teams holding it multiple times.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    Gotter done. Of course I could not help but think, "Wasn't the NIT the bigger championship some of that time?" (Ducks)
    Nope. I checked. The Oregon Ducks never won the NIT. (Just kidding)

Can't spork, so thanks for the work!

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.