House of Cards Season Six

I couldn't find another thread on this one...apologies if there is one.

But Season Six to me was awful for the most part. When some things started to get interesting, they moved on. And the finale was ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I couldn't find another thread on this one...apologies if there is one.

But Season Six to me was awful for the most part. When some things started to get interesting, they moved on. And the finale was ridiculous.
    Were any of the seasons good after the first one?

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    A case could be made that the first season was the best, and I'd say it was pretty good mostly into season 3. After that it wasn't as good...but you had to keep on simply to see where it ended. And then it didn't end. Really poor finale....hard to do a finale that is up to the entire series for anyone...and they failed this miserably.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    A case could be made that the first season was the best, and I'd say it was pretty good mostly into season 3. After that it wasn't as good...but you had to keep on simply to see where it ended. And then it didn't end. Really poor finale...hard to do a finale that is up to the entire series for anyone...and they failed this miserably.
    I thought season one was outstanding, season two the worst. The rest were mostly meh. In hindsight, Frank became president too fast. They could have gotten more out of that story.

. In hindsight, Frank became president too fast. They could have gotten more out of that story.
    Yes, I agree, but these writers and producers live in a 13 episode at a time existence. There are no guarantees beyond the given season (although in Season 2 they shoulda known they'd get renewed for a while).

What else was obvious, and was seriously obvious in Season Six is that Frank was the show. He made the show. He made Claire and Doug interesting. When they lost Spacey, they lost not only the dominant character, they lost the most interesting part of other characters. Kevin Spacey did not play Frank Underwood ...he WAS Frank Underwood. Pity. Any delusions that Robin Wright as Claire could carry the show was vaporized with the pathetic season six.

That has to be one of the worst endings of all time...

The last season was always going to be imperfect because of Frank's absence and the state of real current presidential politics. And the thing is, I actually thought they handled losing Frank Underwood about as well as could reasonably be expected... Robin Wright's performance was great, and Frank's monologues as an audio diary was a cool idea. But, wow, that was a terrible story.

What was the point of following all the journalists for SIX SEASONS if the entire plotline was just going to end with Tom getting shot by a hired gun? That'd be like if Rey gets killed by a stray blaster bolt in the middle of Episode 9... maybe it's a realistic depiction of war, but come on. I don't have a problem with a dark ending and the bad guys winning, but it should be earned by Claire doing something clever or the good guys making in-character mistakes (think Ned Stark). Just deciding that Claire gets to kill 3 of her enemies in a 10 second scene is one of my least favorite moments in TV ever. The ending should have been either (a) the journalists finally successfully publish their stories and bring down the Underwoods, or, the dark version... (b) the journalists finally successfully publish their stories proving that Frank and Claire did the murders, etc... but the public doesn't care and the Underwoods get re-elected.

I also just completely forgot most of the characters motivations. I was struggling to remember why Doug and Claire were fighting each other. And I may be in a minority here, but IMO Doug was never a good enough character to be treated as the 3rd main character of the show (I think I laughed when he broke the 4th wall in the last episode... that was completely unearned).

you are right, it is always same way, i stopped watching on 2 season

Quote Originally Posted by berg View Post
    you are right, it is always same way, i stopped watching on 2 season
    There was some good stuff after Season 2 - but overall, it got weird and weak and when they lost Spacey, they lost the show. Given how it ended, it does make you wonder "why bother" with the whole thing. The biggest redeeming feature is how it pretty accurately depicted how the career ladder in Washington - for elected officials, for staff, for consultants, for lobbyists, for journalists...has nothing to do with actually trying to run the country well. Washington just has nothing to do with that now...and worrying about that is not how you advance in ANY of the DC career ladders. HOC nailed that aspect perfectly.