Duke sports teams dominate academically

98% of Duke student athletes either graduate within 6 years or leave school (to turn pro) in good academic standing. So, how does that rank nationally? Pretty darn good.

Nationally, Duke, Northwestern and Notre Dame led all Football Bowl Subdivision institutions with an overall GSR total of 98, just ahead of Stanford (97) and Vanderbilt (97). In the ACC, Duke’s mark was tops along with Notre Dame, followed by Boston College (95), Wake Forest (94), Clemson (92), Syracuse (92), Virginia Tech (92), Virginia (92), Miami (90), Georgia Tech (89), Louisville (88), Pittsburgh (88), N.C. State (86), North Carolina (83) and Florida State (82).

Duke’s football program ranks second among FBS schools with its 96 percent rate behind only Northwestern (99). Within the ACC, Duke’s 96 percent rate was tops followed by Virginia Tech (90), Wake Forest (89), Boston College (88), Clemson (87), Georgia Tech (86), Louisville (86), Syracuse (85), Virginia (85), Miami (82), Pittsburgh (75), N.C. State (74), Florida State (65) and North Carolina (62).

In men’s basketball, Duke tied for the national lead with its 100 percent rate. Clemson, Duke, Miami, Notre Dame and Pittsburgh all registered perfect scores to lead the ACC followed by Louisville (90), Boston College (88), Florida State (83), Wake Forest (80), Georgia Tech (78), Virginia (78), Syracuse (70), Virginia Tech (70), North Carolina (64) and N.C. State (56).
    As you will note, "The Carolina Way" means they are last in the conference in football and 2nd to last in basketball. I guess that is why they cheated for two decades, without cheating they simply do not care about educating revenue sport athletes.

-Jason "the NCAA should require all coaches to provide recruits and their parents with a copy of these figures... UNC and NC State should be ashamed of themselves" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    98% of Duke student athletes either graduate within 6 years or leave school (to turn pro) in good academic standing. So, how does that rank nationally? Pretty darn good.

As you will note, "The Carolina Way" means they are last in the conference in football and 2nd to last in basketball. I guess that is why they cheated for two decades, without cheating they simply do not care about educating revenue sport athletes.

-Jason "the NCAA should require all coaches to provide recruits and their parents with a copy of these figures... UNC and NC State should be ashamed of themselves" Evans
    You know what they say over in chapel hill: "you can't spell ashamed without 'u - n -c'"

Or was it: "you can't spell cat without a 'K'?"

I know, I know; at unc, three letter words are reserved for grad level courses.

From the article:
    North Carolina’s overall GSR was 83, ranking 14th in the ACC. The Tar Heels had the lowest football GSR (62) and were 14th in men’s basketball GSR (64), which athletic director Bubba Cunningham attributed in part to the lengthy NCAA investigation into academic allegations at UNC.

“Certainly we’re concerned about them. We’re always concerned about graduation rates,” Cunningham told The News & Observer Wednesday. “But what strikes me are these are the entering classes of 2008, ‘09, ‘10 and ‘11, and we knew last year when we had similar scores that they’d be similar again this year.

“That was the beginning of our academic challenges and we have certainly put in a number of reforms and different things talked about and written about for a long time"

This is just pathetic. Carolina used to be one of the great universities, and they recruited and supported athletes at a high level. But that was a LONG time ago. Now, they are basement dwellers in regards to the retention of athletes, and, worse, their AD has the gall to confuse the "beginning of their academic challenges" with the beginning of the investigation--as if the investigation caused the extremely low graduate rate. Their "academic challenges" began when the institution decided to cheat their own students out of an education--and presumably recruit athletes who wouldn't otherwise survive in college.Now it seems that their own administration can't separate cause and effect, or, more likely, assumes its alumni base can't.
    https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...#storylink=cpy

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    From the article:
    North Carolina’s overall GSR was 83, ranking 14th in the ACC. The Tar Heels had the lowest football GSR (62) and were 14th in men’s basketball GSR (64), which athletic director Bubba Cunningham attributed in part to the lengthy NCAA investigation into academic allegations at UNC.

“Certainly we’re concerned about them. We’re always concerned about graduation rates,” Cunningham told The News & Observer Wednesday. “But what strikes me are these are the entering classes of 2008, ‘09, ‘10 and ‘11, and we knew last year when we had similar scores that they’d be similar again this year.

“That was the beginning of our academic challenges and we have certainly put in a number of reforms and different things talked about and written about for a long time"

This is just pathetic. Carolina used to be one of the great universities, and they recruited and supported athletes at a high level. But that was a LONG time ago. Now, they are basement dwellers in regards to the retention of athletes, and, worse, their AD has the gall to confuse the "beginning of their academic challenges" with the beginning of the investigation--as if the investigation caused the extremely low graduate rate. Their "academic challenges" began when the institution decided to cheat their own students out of an education--and presumably recruit athletes who wouldn't otherwise survive in college.Now it seems that their own administration can't separate cause and effect, or, more likely, assumes its alumni base can't.
    This can't be emphasized enough. What chutzpah (sp) it is to imply that things are bad BECAUSE of the investigaation! Of course, all athletes would have had 4.0 averages with the no-show classes, had Marvin not tweeted to begin with.
    JohnB's note should be pinned to the top of the Boards, IMHO.
    Arrrgghh.
    JStuart

Now, they are basement dwellers in regards to the retention of athletes, and, worse, their AD has the gall to confuse the "beginning of their academic challenges" with the beginning of the investigation--as if the investigation caused the extremely low graduate rate. Their "academic challenges" began when the institution decided to cheat their own students out of an education--and presumably recruit athletes who wouldn't otherwise survive in college.Now it seems that their own administration can't separate cause and effect, or, more likely, assumes its alumni base can't.
    What a scumbag. There is no way to read Cunningham's statement in a charitable light - it's plain disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    What a scumbag. There is no way to read Cunningham's statement in a charitable light - it's plain disgusting.
    Tell a lie often enough and it becomes the truth for those unwilling or unable to think for themselves... you know, sheep.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

From the article:

"A (tone) deaf AD and blind coach(es) will always be a happy couple."

(modified from something I saw on-line to fit the cheats culture)

There are lies, damned lies and then there is the "u"nc athletic department.

What a pile of steaming bovine excrement but would we truly expect anything else from those lying, cheating bastards?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Congrats to all our teams. Shame on the heels, the school and their fans. Nobody over there cares.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

This makes me so very happy.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful news.

Looks like Duke basketball/sports is #1 in the ACC. Wonder what local sports homey Giglio thinks about the top (and bottom) of these rankings...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

As a Duke grad and former athlete (who didn't help our academic standings!) this makes me more proud than any solely-athletic achievement. Being a good student at Duke is HARD... being a good student while also being a good athlete is VERY hard. Duke is about academics first and foremost.

UNC... thats just embarrassing.

While I do feel pride in my school given this report … I have to say that the honor is significantly cheapened by the uNC actions of the past 2+ decades. They proved that graduation rates need not mean a darn thing, depending on the integrity of the institution. I still feel that integrity and Duke can be mentioned in the same sentence without a wink-wink.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Tell a lie often enough and it becomes the truth for those unwilling or unable to think for themselves... you know, sheep.
    Those kind of sheep are easy to fleece!!

Way to go Duke student/athletes!!!!

I remember looking at FB grad rates a few years back and we had finished in 1st place for half the years they had been tracking it, something like 12 out of 24 years. Quite a contrast to our cheating neighbors in Chapel Hill.
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Looks like Duke basketball/sports is #1 in the ACC. Wonder what local sports homey Giglio thinks about the top (and bottom) of these rankings...
    Doubt Giglio comments on something he considers trivial.

On Wednesday night's PTI, that dear old gasbag Wilbon was falling backwards trying to wipe away years of his disdain towards Duke hoops by insisting that it was never the players who were hated but in actuality the fans were the despicable actors.

Since it now appears that we have a team that thrills and delights even the most obtuse observers, we fans and alums, though our numbers be small, are the most reviled and annoying in the land.

And I, for one, intend to carry that distinction with pride.

"scoreboard"
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    On Wednesday night's PTI, that dear old gasbag Wilbon was falling backwards trying to wipe away years of his disdain towards Duke hoops by insisting that it was never the players who were hated but in actuality the fans were the despicable actors.

Since it now appears that we have a team that thrills and delights even the most obtuse observers, we fans and alums, though our numbers be small, are the most reviled and annoying in the land.

And I, for one, intend to carry that distinction with pride.

"scoreboard"
    I'm with you weezie, I'll be a Duke fan until I pass on to the other side. Most of the talking heads on ESPN are dopes anyway. The major reason that the anti-Duke people hate Duke is because Duke University is a winning program that does things the right way. They gave the Cheating program a pass on years of fraud. It that had been Duke, 60 minutes would have been all over it. Let them all go back under the rock they came out from under.

GoDuke and GTHC!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, I most spread some sporks before I can give you more. Just take that GoDuke in it's place.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post

I suppose he'd rather be in Philadelphia ...

Well, on PTI after the Kentucky dismantling, Wilbon said that ten minutes into the game he was calling his friends and told them they had to watch...personally I think he's fine with Duke....as a big NW hoops fan, I'm sure his
    primary emotion vis a vis Duke is jealousy, which is OK...