Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Not that I'm biased or anything, but we lost to 'Cuse close in a game we were down two of our best players, and beat the "other" #1 team without the top point guard in the country. I won't be shocked if we stay #1, but I'm guessing it will be Tenn, Duke, 'Zags (if they win tonight), UVA, MSU, with Duke getting plenty of #1 votes.
    All the espn talking heads say Tenn is No. 1.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Not that I'm biased or anything, but we lost to 'Cuse close in a game we were down two of our best players, and beat the "other" #1 team without the top point guard in the country. I won't be shocked if we stay #1, but I'm guessing it will be Tenn, Duke, 'Zags (if they win tonight), UVA, MSU, with Duke getting plenty of #1 votes.
    Yeah, I think it's pretty clear TN will be 1. I think we'll be 3 or 4. I'd be a bit surprised with us at 2, but not shocked. I guess the question is who deserves to be #2 over us as the polls are usually about "what have you done for me recently" so I guess the Zags and MSU are possibilities...Heck, UVa could even move up? As weird as that sounds. But voters wouldn't typically rank a team higher than another that they just lost to, but one could argue that a demolition of Va Tech and a close loss at Duke is better than a home loss to Cuse and a narrow home victory to UVa. As said above, the beauty of this all is that it doesn't really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Yeah, I think it's pretty clear TN will be 1. I think we'll be 3 or 4. I'd be a bit surprised with us at 2, but not shocked. I guess the question is who deserves to be #2 over us as the polls are usually about "what have you done for me recently" so I guess the Zags and MSU are possibilities...Heck, UVa could even move up? As weird as that sounds. But voters wouldn't typically rank a team higher than another that they just lost to, but one could argue that a demolition of Va Tech and a close loss at Duke is better than a home loss to Cuse and a narrow home victory to UVa. As said above, the beauty of this all is that it doesn't really matter.
    I don't think Zags or MSU should crack the top 4, but I suppose they could. I feel like there's a slight separation between Michigan/UVA/Duke/Tenn over Zags and MSU. Then a decent chasm down to the next tier.

I predict Tenn will be #1. 2-6 could be almost any order. If UVA/MICH/Duke fall below 6, I'll be beyond flabbergasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I think Duke is #2, for now. Home loss to Syracuse sounds bad, but everybody knows that loss of Tre with Cam out gives that loss a huge asterisk. Beating UVA without Tre is huge. The important thing is we're right where we want to be now to compete for a #1 seed after overcoming some serious adversity. Great win.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    I think Duke is #2, for now. Home loss to Syracuse sounds bad, but everybody knows that loss of Tre with Cam out gives that loss a huge asterisk. Beating UVA without Tre is huge. The important thing is we're right where we want to be now to compete for a #1 seed after overcoming some serious adversity. Great win.
    THIS ^^^ - exactly my take too

Gotta be #1

I think Duke stays #1. We lost in OT to an ACC team without our Point Guard and Shooting Guard (two starters)...and then beat undefeated #4 UVA (without our point guard).

Tenn barely squeaked by unranked Bama. Their only quality wins are 3 point win vs. Zags, @ FLA? and L-ville...and lost to KU. <-- Am I wrong?

You all already know who Duke has beat ... (Smashed UK (2), Auburn (8), IU, TTU (12), @ FL St (13), UVA (4) ... Clemson (34) and Princeton (by 50) who beat ASU (who beat Kansas) ...

If the ranking is anything resembling truth then Duke stays #1.

Edit - All of this in conjunction with #2 losing, #4 losing, #7 losing, #8 losing etc

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by 22JumpShots View Post
    Tenn barely squeaked by unranked Bama. ... <-- Am I wrong?
    Nope. And like I said above, I agree through my blue tinted glasses that Duke could be 1 still. But...barely squeaking = winning, and during a week when the folks in front of them (including us) lost.

If Duke isn't at least 2 tomorrow, though, then the voters are all suffering from a collective brain cramp.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Newest AP Poll (02/11) has Tennessee (40 first place votes) at #1, with Duke (24 first place votes) at #2. Virginia drops to #4, with Gonzaga leapfrogging them to #3.

That's probably to be expected. What wasn't expected was the shoddy writing by ESPN:

Duke won both of its games last week, rolling over Boston College by 25 before winning a rematch with Virginia 81-71 on Saturday. The Blue Devils needed overtime to beat the Cavaliers the first meeting and shot them out of the gym in the second, making 13 of 21 from the 3-point arc.
    Wait - am I missing something? Didn't we win in regulation?

Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised by this, but I am. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    Wait - am I missing something? Didn't we win in regulation?
    The author is apparently confusing the UVA game with the Syracuse game, which happened earlier that same week.

Really need TN to lose so that we can reclaim #1. I know it doesn't matter, and we're already #1 on the bracket reveal which is more significant, but I still just want us to be ranked #1. And apparently voters will refuse to drop TN as long as they keep winning, even if we were to beat the Warriors and the 96 Bulls. Big test for them against UK this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    The author is apparently confusing the UVA game with the Syracuse game, which happened earlier that same week.

Really need TN to lose so that we can reclaim #1. I know it doesn't matter, and we're already #1 on the bracket reveal which is more significant, but I still just want us to be ranked #1. And apparently voters will refuse to drop TN as long as they keep winning, even if we were to beat the Warriors and the 96 Bulls. Big test for them against UK this weekend.
    Will be interesting to see how Tennessee does in the role of "the hunter" in a game against UK. That is a very rare occurrence. UK will relish the underdog role.

...Really need TN to lose so that we can reclaim #1. I know it doesn't matter, and we're already #1 on the bracket reveal which is more significant, but I still just want us to be ranked #1...
    I guess but I sure enjoyed the laugh when I saw the coaches poll. Only two votes for #1?! That's hilarious!

ky rolls tn this weekend. Right out of the door and down the street to the dumpster.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I guess but I sure enjoyed the laugh when I saw the coaches poll. Only two votes for #1?! That's hilarious!

ky rolls tn this weekend. Right out of the door and down the street to the dumpster.
    coaches pay no attention... though i suppose little different than the media...

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Will be interesting to see how Tennessee does in the role of "the hunter" in a game against UK. That is a very rare occurrence. UK will relish the underdog role.
    Hmmmm, if UK is the underdog, wouldn't that put Tenn in the role of "the hunted?" Not that it matters.

That game is going to be a tough one for me...while I may just hold my nose and hope UK bumps off the top team, I have a real bugaboo pulling for Cal and his squad. I have no ill will toward Rick Barnes or ol' Rocky Top. Of course, this season it would help our SOS for UK to continue rolling.

UK, isn’t that one of the teams Duke pounded earlier in the year?

I really enjoyed typing that.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    UK, isn’t that one of the teams Duke pounded earlier in the year?

Yes, and I really have no interest in a redemption story this year. If we have to face them again, no mercy, no redemption!

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    UK, isn’t that one of the teams Duke pounded earlier in the year [and beat UNC]?

FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Hmmmm, if UK is the underdog, wouldn't that put Tenn in the role of "the hunted?".
    No, the underdog is the HUNTER....the favorite is THE HUNTED.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Hmmmm, if UK is the underdog, wouldn't that put Tenn in the role of "the hunted?" Not that it matters.
    No, the underdog is the HUNTER...the favorite is THE HUNTED.
    Yes, the underdog is the hunter and the favorite is the hunted. And since in your original post you labeled UK as being in "the underdog role" (thus making UT the favorite) and also called UT "the hunter" in the same post, you clearly misspoke.

English was just pointing that out. No need to go all caps on him (or her).

I am 90+% certain that Kentucky will be the (slight) favorite in the game against Tennessee this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I am 90+% certain that Kentucky will be the (slight) favorite in the game against Tennessee this weekend.
    they ought be given the teams seem pretty closely matched and it's at rupp
    April 1