Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    do you think it was scraping by wofford or walloping elon that put them over the top?
    1200. DDMF.

Now here's a guy I would cheerfully bet a pie with.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Now here's a guy I would cheerfully bet a pie with.
    Giglio is a total clown and Pack homer. He still has the Pack very high in his ACC football ratings and Duke down aways below GaTech. He simply plays to his base(local State and Cheat fans) without even researching Duke. He remains convinced that Duke can’t be great since past several OAD teams weren’t. I’m actually surprised he rates us this high in ACC.

The N&O's Joe Giglio ranks UNC #1, Virginia #2, and Duke #3 in the ACC.

Channeling Louis Prima,

"I'm just a Giglio and everywhere I go
    People know I'm UNC's homer
    Paid for every stance, selling each romance
    Now I'm cookin' the rankings

"I'm just a Giglio..."
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 11-13-2018 at 12:46 PM.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

Channeling Louis Prima,

"I'm just a Giglio..."
    Yea, he stole it from Louis, but this is still pretty funny stuff:

Curses to you sage, now I'm going to be singing this all day.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Preseason I would have predicted the final ACC standings to be: (1) UVA; (2) UNC; (3) Duke.

While obviously floored by how good we looked against Kentucky, I still do not think that order by the end of the regular season is unreasonable.

I wouldn't put UNC as the best of the three but Luke Maye is a real player and they have good talent. If they fit Roy's system, they will be tough.

Channeling Louis Prima,

"I'm just a Giglio..."
    HAH, that's about right. I've no problem with anyone ranking the teams that way, but when a smart axxed Cheat fan does it with an attitude, get's my quills on end.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Preseason I would have predicted the final ACC standings to be: (1) UVA; (2) UNC; (3) Duke.

While obviously floored by how good we looked against Kentucky, I still do not think that order by the end of the regular season is unreasonable.

I wouldn't put UNC as the best of the three but Luke Maye is a real player and they have good talent. If they fit Roy's system, they will be tough.
    You make a lot of sense. But that's pre-season reasoning. Who knows how the teams will play when the season starts? Well, we have some idea now. Duke thrashed the #2-ranked team in the country and everyone else had predictable wins against weak opposition. I would tilt my rankings at least a bit towards real world results. And, what's surprising is the overt "homerism" on display. Hey, Joe Giglio, put Duke #1 and say you don't believe it will last. Rather than say, in effect, "I don't believe my eyes."
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I guess I missed the announcement that a #1 ranking in the ACC polls entitled us to a free fill-up at the local gas station. I mean why else would so many people be upset with Joe G's article?

At least he gave a plausible reason for his choices. UVA with their system has proven they deserve the #1 slot until shown otherwise and honestly we've managed to sell UNC short for several years in a row. Our recruiting classes these past few season have been off the charts, but what hardware do we have to show for it?

Anyhow, it's a long season and we shall soon see how everything plays out, enjoy the ride.

You make a lot of sense. But that's pre-season reasoning. Who knows how the teams will play when the season starts? Well, we have some idea now. Duke thrashed the #2-ranked team in the country and everyone else had predictable wins against weak opposition. I would tilt my rankings at least a bit towards real world results. And, what's surprising is the overt "homerism" on display. Hey, Joe Giglio, put Duke #1 and say you don't believe it will last. Rather than say, in effect, "I don't believe my eyes -- Duke didn't beat Kentucky by 34 points."
    Sage Grouse

But!

But I bet you still don't like them very much. GoDuke!

You make a lot of sense. But that's pre-season reasoning. Who knows how the teams will play when the season starts? Well, we have some idea now. Duke thrashed the #2-ranked team in the country and everyone else had predictable wins against weak opposition. I would tilt my rankings at least a bit towards real world results. And, what's surprising is the overt "homerism" on display. Hey, Joe Giglio, put Duke #1 and say you don't believe it will last. Rather than say, in effect, "I don't believe my eyes."
    I don't disagree with any of this, and in fact endorse same.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    But I bet you still don't like them very much. GoDuke!
    You would win that bet. GTH,C!

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    I guess I missed the announcement that a #1 ranking in the ACC polls entitled us to a free fill-up at the local gas station. I mean why else would so many people be upset with Joe G's article?
    EASY.
    A: His snotty tone in the article and
    B: his love of the cheats.
    C: not really upset, just firing back at him a little

Next question.

While I don't give any hoey about what a local sportswriter says about ACC power rankings, there is one aspect of this that I want to address because I think it is a huge fallacy.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    He remains convinced that Duke can’t be great since past several OAD teams weren’t.
    Duke has truly embraced the one-and-done philosophy in four seasons. I say that years where we have multiple OAD players on the roster are years where the team is largely built around OAD players. Here are the seasons where that has happened:

2015 - national title
    2017 - ACC tournament title
    2018 - Final 8, lose in OT in a game that could have gone either way
    2019 - The jury is still out, but it sure looks good so far

I'm sorry, but deeming the OAD era anything but a massive success is a joke and a product of ridiculously unrealistic expectations.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post

At least he gave a plausible reason for his choices. UVA with their system has proven they deserve the #1 slot until shown otherwise and honestly we've managed to sell UNC short for several years in a row. Our recruiting classes these past few season have been off the charts, but what hardware do we have to show for it?

Anyhow, it's a long season and we shall soon see how everything plays out, enjoy the ride.
    Until shown otherwise? Did you watch UVA's last game last year? That deserves #1 slot?

I respect the heck out of UVA, but c'mon now. Duke may or may not have been clearly ahead of UVA preseason, but they're surely ahead now by any objective observer.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    While I don't give any hoey about what a local sportswriter says about ACC power rankings, there is one aspect of this that I want to address because I think it is a huge fallacy.

Duke has truly embraced the one-and-done philosophy in four seasons. I say that years where we have multiple OAD players on the roster are years where the team is largely built around OAD players. Here are the seasons where that has happened:

2015 - national title
    2017 - ACC tournament title
    2018 - Final 8, lose in OT in a game that could have gone either way
    2019 - The jury is still out, but it sure looks good so far

I'm sorry, but deeming the OAD era anything but a massive success is a joke and a product of ridiculously unrealistic expectations.

i don't disagree with the thesis, but selectively ignoring the two largest first round upsets in Duke history is a bit disingenuous.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    i don't disagree with the thesis, but selectively ignoring the two largest first round upsets in Duke history is a bit disingenuous.
    Are you thinking 2014? Would not call that a OAD team.
    2016? Second round, many injuries, very difficult venue.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Are you thinking 2014? Would not call that a OAD team.
    2016? Second round, many injuries, very difficult venue.
    Yup, 2014 had 1 OAD player. It is no more a OAD team than 2011 was with Kyrie Irving.

2016 was a highly successful season that included a 4-game run in the ACC tourney that is among the finest accomplishments of any Duke team that did not win a national title. Yeah, they ran into a buzz saw in what amounted to a road game in the NCAA tourney, which was really disappointing, but that season was hardly a poor one.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    It is possible he is talking about the 2012 loss to Lehigh, but Austin Rivers was the only OAD player on a team that was otherwise full of experienced players. I don't know how anyone could see that as some failure of the OAD embrace.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It is possible he is talking about the 2012 loss to Lehigh, but Austin Rivers was the only OAD player on a team that was otherwise full of experienced players. I don't know how anyone could see that as some failure of the OAD embrace.
    Say what you will about the presence of the one OAD on the 2012 team (and many of us have said a lot about rightfully strong feelings about that team), but without that one OAD, we wouldn't have this:

The Lehigh loss was of course painful, but that Dean Dome shot is still so, so tasty.