Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Tracking the polls

I'm mildly surprised, but AP poll voters did not succumb to inertia this week, and our Devils have leapfrogged Kansas to take the #1 spot in the latest rankings. Duke received 48 out of 65 first-place votes.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I'm mildly surprised, but AP poll voters did not succumb to inertia this week, and our Devils have leapfrogged Kansas to take the #1 spot in the latest rankings. Duke received 48 out of 65 first-place votes.
    Kansas looked good. We looked better.

Doesn't matter over the long haul, but it's hard to argue with leapfrogging us over Kansas.

"..passing UCLA for most all-time No. 1s"

Duke jumps Kansas for top spot in AP Top 25 men's hoops after Kentucky blowout, passing UCLA for most all-time No. 1s:

https://collegebasketball.ap.org/art...-ucla-most-all

It’s pretty rare that a #1 team drops out of the top spot without losing. Even more rare when the beat a top 10 team and still get bumped. Just goes to show how impressive our win was. I was kind of wondering if Kentucky’s less-than-impressive showing in their next game would cast some doubts in the minds of voters, but it looks like they are all aboard the Duke hype train!

This also works out great for ESPN, they can paint us as the heavily favored juggernaut and then when we inevitably lose a game they’ll call it a shocking upset.

AP Top 25

RANK SCHOOL RECORD POINTS PREVIOUS
    1 Duke (48) 2-0 1,606 4
    2 Kansas (14) 1-0 1,571 1
    3 Gonzaga 2-0 1,478 3
    4 Virginia (2) 2-0 1,326 5
    5 Tennessee (1) 2-0 1,306 6
    6 Nevada 2-0 1,277 7
    7 North Carolina 2-0 1,260 8
    8 Villanova 2-0 1,139 9
    9 Auburn 2-0 1,132 11
    10 Kentucky 1-1 1,054 2
    11 Michigan State 1-1 919 11
    12 Kansas State 1-0 892 12
    13 Oregon 2-0 739 14
    14 Florida State 2-0 731 17
    15 Syracuse 2-0 673 16
    16 Virginia Tech 1-0 664 15
    17 Mississippi State 2-0 549 18
    18 Michigan 2-0 486 19
    19 Clemson 2-0 350 22
    20 UCLA 2-0 340 21
    21 TCU 2-0 323 20
    22 LSU 2-0 248 23
    23 Purdue 2-0 218 24
    24 Marquette 2-0 155
    25 Buffalo 2-0 154
    Others receiving votes: West Virginia 145, Indiana 131, Nebraska 41, Wisconsin 32, Washington 29, Maryland 28, Notre Dame 24, Miami 16, Ohio St. 14, Alabama 11, IowaSt. 9, Florida 9, Louisville 8, Texas 6, Texas Tech 5, Arizona St 4, Butler 4, Vanderbilt 4, Loyola of Chicago 3, Arizona 2, St. John's 2, Marshall 2, Xavier 2, Penn 1, Furman 1, Davidson 1, S Illinois 1.

So that's 6 ACC Schools and UNCheat ranked with ND, Miami, Lou getting votes. It's going to be an interesting year.

Who is voting Tennessee for #1? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    It’s pretty rare that a #1 team drops out of the top spot without losing. Even more rare when the beat a top 10 team and still get bumped.
    Just the fourth time a #1 team has dropped without losing.
    Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 1.09.59 PM.jpg

Just the fourth time a #1 team has dropped without losing.
    Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 1.09.59 PM.jpg
    Awesome stat, thanks for finding that. Interesting that all three scenarios involved the preseason #1 dropping after the first week. The tweet doesn’t really clarify whether it has ever happened DURING the season, but the implication is that it has not. Also interesting that’s kentucky had its hands in all three of those other cases too.

Kansas is lucky they got dropped this week because tonight the vicious Vermont Catamounts invade Allen Fieldhouse and there are going to be Jayhawk feathers everywhere. Cleanup on aisle six!
    Reasonably good doubleheader tonight, Stanford at unc-holeville, then the Catamounts have at it. *

*OK, so actually it's not one of Vermont's better teams, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Who is voting Tennessee for #1? Really?
    It's John Feinstein( @JFeinsteinBooks ) from the Washington Post. He also has us at #3. Only one other voter had us ranked this low, Lauren Brownlow of WRAL durham.

https://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/

Incidentally, Duke Vitale is one of the 14 voters who kept Kansas at #1. Just click on a team to see who voted for them and the rankings assigned by each voter. Although the polls are pretty meaningless during this time of the year, I like this site.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    It's John Feinstein( @JFeinsteinBooks ) from the Washington Post. He also has us at #3. Only one other voter had us ranked this low, Lauren Brownlow of WRAL durham.

Incidentally, Duke Vitale is one of the 14 voters who kept Kansas at #1. Just click on a team to see who voted for them and the rankings assigned by each voter. Although the polls are pretty meaningless during this time of the year, I like this site.
    Thanks.

Never heard of Brownlow, but Google informs me that she is a UNC grad:

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/bio/13882579/

She also has UVA #1, UNC#5 and FSU#10.

Feinstein is, well, Feinstein.

I wouldn't keep Kansas #1 but don't have a problem with those who did.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Thanks.

Never heard of Brownlow, but Google informs me that she is a UNC grad:

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/bio/13882579/

She also has UVA #1, UNC#5 and FSU#10.

Feinstein is, well, Feinstein.

I wouldn't keep Kansas #1 but don't have a problem with those who did.
    I like her and Joe Ovies, they are fun and informative, especially in their ACC Panic Room videos. Brownlow also does the Sad Panther Fan, which is a humorous (and not always sad) continuing look at the Panther's season.
    She voted UVA as her #1, which is rather bizarre.
    https://collegepolltracker.com/baske...ow/2018/week-2

Congrats to Wojo for getting Marquette into the top 25 this week, too!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

all the media jumping on the bandwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by Messimorgan17 View Post
    all the media jumping on the bandwagon.
    I thought some would've jumped back off yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I like her and Joe Ovies, they are fun and informative, especially in their ACC Panic Room videos. Brownlow also does the Sad Panther Fan, which is a humorous (and not always sad) continuing look at the Panther's season.

She also does preview articles for ACC league contests in both football and basketball that are quite well known for her use of humorous GIFs. Despite my extremely bland description, they are freaking hilarious. Highly recommend.

Once league play gets up and running, I'll try to remember and link one. You might even be able to find a football one right now if you're so inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

Despite being a UNC grad, she has long been a huge admirer of Tony Bennett’s work at UVA, especially vis-a-vis Duke in the one-and-done era. In that context, I don’t find her vote for UVA all that surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post

Isn't John a Duke grad?

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Isn't John a Duke grad?
    Correct. He prides himself on being objective. So perhaps trying to be more conservative and not jump on th3 bandwagon.

^ he's also bitter about some stuff, not even worth rehashing.

actually, duke isn't even 1st in the acc
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese