Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eurostep

Eurostep

Saw an article on ESPN about how devastating 'eurostep" is in the pros. On Google saw a clip of James Harden using the step- really slick. Do players on our team use this technique?

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    Saw an article on ESPN about how devastating 'eurostep" is in the pros. On Google saw a clip of James Harden using the step- really slick. Do players on our team use this technique?
    there's a reason it's devastating...because it's travelling.

#GetOffMyLawn
    April 1

I believe this is one of the myriad ways R.J. Barrett gets to the hoop. I think he uses every method to get to the basket.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Zion doesn’t need a eurostep. Opponents just quiver and get out of his way...
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Zion doesn’t need a eurostep. Opponents just quiver and get out of his way...
    Zion actually prefers to do a jump stop, because he can jump stop to about 10 feet away from the rim, and simply take off from that point and actually get to the rim without taking another step. However, I do believe he's the only player in the universe who can do that.

Grayson employed it religiously during his tenure here.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Zion used a Eurostep in one of the games in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    This is a question I've always had: is the Eurostep traveling, or is it just jumping off the "wrong" foot (e.g., right foot for right-handers)?

The latter looks real awkward, and hence make it look like traveling, but I don't think it's traveling. (Or is the Euro-step really an extra step?)

I also used have a beef with the jump-stop, but I think that works only if you then jump off both feet at the same time and shoot (or pass) immediately. If you lift up just one foot after a jump-stop, that's traveling, I think.

I know the KY fans were calling very loudly for traveling Tues night...I suspect we'll hear those calls about RJ esp many times this season...

Quote Originally Posted by construe View Post
    This is a question I've always had: is the Eurostep traveling, or is it just jumping off the "wrong" foot (e.g., right foot for right-handers)?
    It is not traveling, although I’m sure people travel while trying to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    It is not traveling, although I’m sure people travel while trying to do it.
    some of us don't accept that you should get "two steps" at all...

Tyler H would argue this:

Maybe even 4 or 5.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by construe View Post

The latter looks real awkward, and hence make it look like traveling, but I don't think it's traveling. (Or is the Euro-step really an extra step?)

I also used have a beef with the jump-stop, but I think that works only if you then jump off both feet at the same time and shoot (or pass) immediately. If you lift up just one foot after a jump-stop, that's traveling, I think.

I know the KY fans were calling very loudly for traveling Tues night...I suspect we'll hear those calls about RJ esp many times this season...
    If done properly it's not traveling. Also, in the NBA at least, I think people forget about or do not understand the gather. You get two steps after the gather. It's legal even if to looks like it shouldn't be.

Also, I think you are using jump stop incorrectly. With a proper jump stop (landing on both feet without having taken a step beforehand) either foot can be a pivot. What you're describing is taking a first step and then coming down on both feet. You can do that, but then you have no pivot. But you can lift one or both feet so long as the ball is released for a shot or pass before the foot/feet return(s) to the floor. That is, you don't have to jump off both feet.

Also, it's legal in all situations to pick up your pivot foot if you shoot or pass before returning it to the floor. You cannot lift your pivot foot and then dribble. This is the travel that refs at all levels miss the most, IMO.

NBA: The most dangerous two-step in the game
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...-two-step-game

Here's the article

#GetOffMyLawn

Do you mean it *should* be travelling? Because under the rules, it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    You cannot lift your pivot foot and then dribble. This is the travel that refs at all levels miss the most, IMO.
    Wait, is that true? That seems weird, maybe I am visualizing it wrong. Why would it be ok to pass or shoot, but not start dribbling?

So no normal layups, either?

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Do you mean it *should* be travelling? Because under the rules, it is not.
    So a player moves his pivot foot, even slightly, while holding the ball, travelling is called. A player takes two GIANT steps to the basket with NO dribble, it is fine......Complete BS!!! Rules or no rules.. The so called Eurostep is a misnomer, for this was going on in the NBA for a long time before this phrase came on the scene..

I feel like there was already a discussion about this last year. A proper Eurostep is just a normal two step layup where the player changes direction with the first step (sometimes the second as well) instead of going in a straight line. What does it matter that the steps are bigger and look more awkward (which is part of why it works)?

Quote Originally Posted by fraggler View Post
    So no normal layups, either?
    "normal" is not necessarily well defined. One could argue that "normal" involves no dribbling at all, a-la the original rules. So yes, if you had to dribble all the way to your last step, I would probably be okay with it.

That said, IMO the intention of the 2 step rule was to allow you to make a shot in stride...not so you could tuck the ball and bulldoze through the defense like a running back. The whole point of requiring a dribble was so the defense could dispossess the ball if you chose to move. If players can span the entire defense without having to dribble, it defeats the purpose.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    NBA: The most dangerous two-step in the game
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...-two-step-game

Here's the article
    It may be a different game, but Carter Beauford begs to differ.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."