Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Howey

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    The definition of "security" is usually thought to be broad enough to cover... anything. See, e.g., Howey.
    I'm quite familiar with Howey. Not sure where the efforts of others would come here, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    I also thought that public parking would be allowed in the new Science Drive tier garage (entering from 751/Cameron Blvd.), as it is for women's basketball games; but apparently for men's basketball games that facility is reserved entirely for Iron Dukes with parking passes. I have a cousin coming to the game on Sunday with no parking pass, so I checked with the Iron Dukes office this morning and was told that the only public parking would be in the two Circuit Drive lots. FWIW, here's a link to the parking map for men's basketball:

http://www.goduke.com/attachments1/f...DB_OEM_ID=4200

If anyone is aware of public parking located closer to Cameron, please share that information.
    I was there for the weekend a few weeks ago, and we Ubered to both C2C and the UVA game. Both very easy and cheap. (Although apparently there are designated Uber drop off spots, neither of our drivers had a clue where they were.)

My first choice is always staying at the WaDuke and walking to Cameron, but this was Parents Weekend and the rates were exorbitant.

Several years ago, we were able to park on the circle in front of the Chapel on the weekends, if there was a spot and we got there early enough, at least several hours before the game. Or in the Bryan Center garage. I am not sure if either of those options are still possible though.

And FWIW, I have also parked in the Iron Dukes lot at Gross Chem - and that’s not a super easy walk uphill for some.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    My guess is wherever it's legal it would turn illegal pretty quickly if someone attempted to start the market. The problem is that while the line is generally set based on bets placed, there's no rule or law that says it has to be. If the people setting the line were participating in the derivatives market, the potential for corruption is too great. SEC generally frowns on people having direct control over whether they win or lose in a market.
    I mean the same is true for any derivatives market. There's an inherent risk that the company you're betting on has corrupt leaders. I suppose with a real company, however, the board has fiduciary duty, whereas the incentive for bookies is that they want to make money on the bets...so you get a huge issue if the derivative market becomes more lucrative than the bets themselves. This also requires a high efficiency market. Otherwise (and this would likely be reality) the bookies could buy every option on the market, and change the line for fractions of a second before exercising the option. In an efficient market, the market scoops up a gazillion bets in that fraction of a second. In our contrived scenario, the only person who gets hosed is the person who gets assigned and is forced to place or take a bet a horrible line.

Even with some sort of duty to make as much profit of lines as possible, i suppose there is no way to prevent the bookies from slight alterations that make big changes in the derivative market.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    No, I've got a few months to come up with something. I'm committed to making this world a better place, one meaningless post at a time.

I went to the Duke-Army game a few years ago. It was perhaps the only visiting crowd that got 100% respect from our fans. And when we play the National Anthem at the beginning, the players line up across the whole court and show their respect. It really is a neat thing.

I wish them well this year in all their games after Saturday. And for safe travels during their service.
    I would suggest limiting your nice comments about UNC to how devoted Eric Montross is to fundraising for the NC Children’s Hospital. Outside of that...

Maybe talk about UNC’s world-class, #1-ranked public (and #2 overall) School of Public Health? Or the Lineberger Center and their efforts to fight cancer?

Can’t really help with the b-ball program or the university at large though.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I would suggest limiting your nice comments about UNC to how devoted Eric Montross is to fundraising for the NC Children’s Hospital. Outside of that...

Maybe talk about UNC’s world-class, #1-ranked public (and #2 overall) School of Public Health? Or the Lineberger Center and their efforts to fight cancer?

Can’t really help with the b-ball program or the university at large though.
    A friend’s Southern grandmother always made a point to say something nice about everyone she met. If she couldn’t find anything, she would say — “I bet he can whistle.”

To get back to the question of Army’s large roster size for basketball, it should be noted that they have a roughly 200 man roster for football. They have to double up on most of the jersey numbers. I think it’s just a matter of encouraging regular cadets to be physically fit by giving them the opportunity to challenge themselves on a daily basis against talented athletes. It breeds toughness, too.

So

Quote Originally Posted by Banana View Post
    To get back to the question of Army’s large roster size for basketball, it should be noted that they have a roughly 200 man roster for football. They have to double up on most of the jersey numbers. I think it’s just a matter of encouraging regular cadets to be physically fit by giving them the opportunity to challenge themselves on a daily basis against talented athletes. It breeds toughness, too.
    Duke’s got to play a team with a 25 man roster and toughness? If they had talent, it would be over!

Also camaraderie and teamwork

I expect a bit of a hangover from Tuesday mixed with coach K showing respect to his alma mater on Veterans Day Eve leading to a closer score than many will anticipate against this level of opponent. Still a 20+ point easy win- albeit not as pretty.

Relevant to some discussion in this thread. Check out the line movement on this game! (Source: SBR)

I didn't get the exact particulars right with my predictions, but on the whole, yes, if Duke beat Kentucky by 34 and you open Duke as a 31.5-pt favorite against Army, the public will bet the line up.

I still expect that closer to tip time, some sharp money will slam the 39.5/40-pt spread (or whatever it is by then) down.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Relevant to some discussion in this thread. Check out the line movement on this game! (Source: SBR)

I didn't get the exact particulars right with my predictions, but on the whole, yes, if Duke beat Kentucky by 34 and you open Duke as a 31.5-pt favorite against Army, the public will bet the line up.

I still expect that closer to tip time, some sharp money will slam the 39.5/40-pt spread (or whatever it is by then) down.
    expecting a 40 point win against anyone is absurd...let alone in a game where there will likely be huge incentive to let off the afterburners. I'd take army at 31. 44? That's bonkers.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post

That's very similar to what I expected.

I have a rule of thumb. Never. Ever. Bet a 40pt line. (And probably a 30pt line)

- Chillin

Drop in concentration?

The front page article on Army states that Duke had a loss of concentration in the UK game, yet in the postgame press conference, Coach K specifically states that he was impressed that the team did not lose its concentration when they held big leads vs. UK. He said it was a impressive considering the relative youth of the starting five.

The "lose concentration" argument often makes sense, especially with younger teams, but I'm with K on this one. I was impressed with the consistency of the team's focus on playing good basketball, despite the score.

I think it’s just a matter of encouraging regular cadets to be physically fit...
    I'm not sure if you're serious or joking around but cadets are not encouraged to be physically fit they are required to be physically fit. Failing your physical fitness test has consequences leading to dismissal if not corrected.

Moreover, there is no such thing as a "regular" cadet. Cadets are cadets. Basketball players, football players, etc...are not special at the service academies.
    Bob Green

DBR Chat is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

Ted Valentine is one of the refs today. It was nice while it lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I'm not sure if you're serious or joking around but cadets are not encouraged to be physically fit they are required to be physically fit. Failing your physical fitness test has consequences leading to dismissal if not corrected.

Moreover, there is no such thing as a "regular" cadet. Cadets are cadets. Basketball players, football players, etc...are not special at the service academies.
    Not so much basketball players, but football players are VERY VERY special at the service academies. In general, corps squad cadets are exempt from many of the duties.

Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    In general, corps squad cadets are exempt from many of the duties.
    I'll take your word for it.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Ted Valentine is one of the refs today. It was nice while it lasted.
    He was in Statesboro doing a Georgia Southern exhibition game a couple weeks back. I figured maybe he had been exiled back to the Sun Belt again. Dude gets around.

Spatola may as well have said Austen Rivers was a team cancer