Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Aside from my nomination for this as post of the year, I want to add...

They may also be primarily concerned with getting in a locker room or charter flight brawl with that teammate who owes them $50,000 from a Boure/Booray game and is a little too late on that payment.
    "What's the name of my girlfriend in Phoenix?"

"Wait -- are we going to Phoenix next or Houston?'

Quote Originally Posted by DukeTrinity11 View Post
    UVA will need to score 80 on Duke to have a chance at beating us. I don't believe they can if we play defense like we did last night (when the game was still in contention).
    Duke's not going to score 80 on UVA. It's easier to slow the game down than it is to speed the game up.

While we've controlled the head to head with UVA during the Tony Bennett era (although obviously we lost last season [dangit Duval, don't throw that pass]), we usually beat them by scoring in the 60s. Even just getting to 70 would be an excellent accomplishment. 80 seems out of reach to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Come on now! J Rob has some talent. Notice I said REALLY poor man's. Camby was basically a NBA All-star but it's J Robs shot blocking ability that makes me even see a hint of Camby in him. Give him 6 fouls and let him rip!! Besides, I think he's gonna be important for us next year - we're gonna lose a lot of talent.
    I am very happy that Robinson is part of the program. But if he is a key rotation player, ruh roh.

I just want to say that this whole thread is hilarious. When it first popped up I thought it would generate maybe two "LOL NO"s and then die. But here we are on page 4 debating how much like Marcus Camby Justin Robinson is. This is amazing and awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I am very happy that Robinson is part of the program. But if he is a key rotation player, ruh roh.
    Very likely the 8th man off the bench next year. But where he will be most valuable is his leadership and knowledge of the program four years in. I can see him coming off the bench to play with the second team in a David McClure role. (bc this thread isn't complete without a McClure reference)

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    I just want to say that this whole thread is hilarious. When it first popped up I thought it would generate maybe two "LOL NO"s and then die. But here we are on page 4 debating how much like Marcus Camby Justin Robinson is. This is amazing and awesome.
    But, but, Javin DeLaurier sort of looks like Kevin Durant from a distance, if you don't squint too hard. And Jack White is the Aussie Larry Bird. And Antonio Vrankovic is the poor-man's Marc Gasol. And don't get me started on Jordan Goldwire's uncanny resemblance to Chris Paul. Pretty soon he'll be doing really bad insurance commercials.

But seriously. We've anointed teenagers as future NBA all-stars after one game.

Could happen. Maybe even likely. But no sure thing. Remember how good Jabari Parker looked early in his only season at Duke? Jahlil Okafor?

So many things can happen in five years and not all of then are good.

Cause I can't resist...

Just to play Devil's advocate (excuse the pun)...

The DREAM TEAM DID lose to a team full of college players. The dream team. THE DREAM TEAM. To a team with a Duke point guard and a Duke forward at that.

https://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes...-very-bad-day/ (just for fun - check out who was also at the game...).
    but then, according to Coach K,

[Daly] threw the game.

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    but then, according to Coach K,
    I’ve heard and seen that before, but was wondering HOW he managed that without the pro players in on it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I'm just going to say it one more time, to prevent future snarky comments referencing my posts when we lose to Indiana or San Diego State or some middling ACC team later:

All my comments about Duke being able to win an NBA game or two in an 82 game season and arguably being better-in-5-years-in-a-one-game-situation than bad NBA teams only apply IF we end up being the best team in the country and IF our top three guys end up meeting their current individual expectations in the NBA. I'm fully aware that these two things may not happen, and are perhaps unlikely to happen. But they are possible.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Could happen. Maybe even likely. But no sure thing. Remember how good Jabari Parker looked early in his only season at Duke? Jahlil Okafor?

So many things can happen in five years and not all of then are good.
    This whole hopefully fun exercise is about (at least in large part) projecting the NBA trajectory of three of the most talented recruits we've had. Each is expected to be a top-5 pick in the 2019 NBA draft. We did not anoint them NBA all-stars. The NBA cognoscenti think they are very strong prospects to be NBA all-stars.

Of course, we could play out this exercise on the worst-case assumption that all of them will be NBA busts. But that wouldn't be very enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I’ve heard and seen that before, but was wondering HOW he managed that without the pro players in on it.
    He kept MJ out of the game.

I'm not sure who will resurrect this thread after our first loss that freaks out the board, but it won't be me.

Cause I can't resist...

Just to play Devil's advocate (excuse the pun)...

The DREAM TEAM DID lose to a team full of college players. The dream team. THE DREAM TEAM. To a team with a Duke point guard and a Duke forward at that.

https://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes...-very-bad-day/ (just for fun - check out who was also at the game...)

Give me a poorly coached team. One say, with a player that likes to go one on one often, and since I abhor most things Jordan - give me two wins off any team he's associated with. In a NBA style game, even Justin Robinson becomes an asset b/c he's long and can shoot the three (can you say Marcus Camby? Cause he's basically a REALLY poor man's Camby right at this moment).

And to be honest, we have a better chance today than we would have in 5 years (cause in 5 years, sure, if they're all NBA players, even the crappy Knicks win once in while). Game styles change. Contracts happen. You snitch on your teammate and no-one passes you the ball. Hell - you might even pull a gun on your teammate during a dice game - cause that's what all good teammates do right?

Hey - I get it - they are ALL NBA players. But what some of you don't get that I do is that NBA players will pack it in - EASY. Sometimes they just want to finish the west coast swing, go to the club, and have a steak. Some players even play high/drunk as a kite (paging JR Smith).

So let's not forget - that more than just skills come into play when it comes to competition. The young kids would have the advantage in the sense that they don't have children, wives, girlfriends, mortgages, seven cars, two agents, three managers, 4 cell phones, 6 club appearances, bumped into a Kardashaian by mistake, 12 photoshoots, 5 flights, and perhaps even a coach they hate.

Always remember - bc they are NBA players, that doesn't make them an NBA TEAM.
    I sincerely hope that was all said tongue in cheek because that whole section was a mess.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Duke's not going to score 80 on UVA. It's easier to slow the game down than it is to speed the game up.

While we've controlled the head to head with UVA during the Tony Bennett era (although obviously we lost last season [dangit Duval, don't throw that pass]), we usually beat them by scoring in the 60s. Even just getting to 70 would be an excellent accomplishment. 80 seems out of reach to me.
    I think they will get 80 on UVa. I think UVa will play a little faster anyway, and I don't know that they can impose their will on this group - though I agree it's normally easier to slow a game down than speed it up. But not always. (think Arkansas and Nolan Richardson's "40 min of hell"

I don’t think UVA gave up 80 points to anyone last year.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    This whole hopefully fun exercise is about (at least in large part) projecting the NBA trajectory of three of the most talented recruits we've had. Each is expected to be a top-5 pick in the 2019 NBA draft. We did not anoint them NBA all-stars. The NBA cognoscenti think they are very strong prospects to be NBA all-stars.

Of course, we could play out this exercise on the worst-case assumption that all of them will be NBA busts. But that wouldn't be very enjoyable.
    But these same NBA cognoscenti evidently thought Austin Rivers and Jabari Parker and Jahlil Okafor were strong prospects to be NBA all-stars. And Anthony Bennett. And Michael Olowakandi. And Kwame Brown. And Darko Milicic.

And I go on and on and on. But I'm belaboring the point well past the point of diminishing returns.

But if folks want to have fun imaging a world where Justin Robinson would be an asset in a game against a legit NBA team, then have at it.

Just don't expect me to take it seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I don’t think UVA gave up 80 points to anyone last year.
    Just checked, and they didn’t even give up 70 points to anyone last year — until giving up 74 to UMBC.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I think they will get 80 on UVa. I think UVa will play a little faster anyway, and I don't know that they can impose their will on this group - though I agree it's normally easier to slow a game down than speed it up. But not always. (think Arkansas and Nolan Richardson's "40 min of hell"
    You would think if they were going to make this change, it would show up in their season opener against a scrub team like Towson. But instead, UVA played at a pace that would've been their 3rd-slowest last season.

On ESPN's Get Up (Greenie's version of First Take) this morning, they asked the Westgate Sports Book to give them odds on the best college team versus the worst pro team. The Westgate said:

In football, Alabama would be a 28.5 point underdog to the Buffalo Bills
    In hoops, Duke would be a 22.5 underdog to the Cleveland Cavs

Several of the hot take experts on the show seemed to think that Duke could maybe compete with the Cavs, which I think is insane, but they didn't discuss it all that much because they just started talking about how much of a freak Zion is and it distracted them from actually having an even moderately substantive discussion. They then jumped to the football thing and said there is no way current 19 and 20 year old college kids could play against NFL pros. They started talking about the whole "fast forward five years" suggestion from the beginning of this thread and most seemed to think that Alabama in 5 years would crush the pathetic Bills.

-Jason "I would bet large, large sums of money on the Cavs -22.5 against Duke right now" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

It is really a remarkable perfect storm of hype happening right now. Duke, in its polarizing way, is always going to be big news. The fact that Duke got THE top 3 recruits is a layer of highly combustible kindling. But, Zion is some kind of concentrated gasoline compound the likes of which I have never seen, in terms of how he has the universe trying to invent new language to describe their awe. After the game, I actually thought RJ would be as big a story. Forget it. It's ZION ZION ZION. I have never seen anything like it, and, as Duke fans, we have seen a lot in terms of positive and negative media attention. There was so much hype before the game and for the team, the freshman, and Zion, in particular, to have not only delivered, but potentially over-delivered, on that stage, has resulted in a media frenzy the likes of which we may never see again. It's really crazy.