Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Crazy Thanksgiving food

So, everyone has a job for Thanksgiving. My task is dessert. I know it is a shock to hear that about me, but I am in charge of procuring the Thanksgiving pies.

I was doing a little research and came across this:

That is a piecaken. A cherry pie cooked inside of a chocolate cake. As I am sure you can imagine, my reaction was... well... Kramer sums it up best.

I have not yet convinced the rest of the extended family that the Earth will stop rotating if we fail to get a piecaken, but I hope to report back to all of you about it in a few weeks. Does anyone have any experience with this that I can tell folks about?

Also, what is it about Thanksgiving that makes us eat unusual food? If you tried to pull out a Turducken in May, folks would look at you like your head was screwed on backwards. Cranberry sauce/relish is mandatory on this holiday but would seem insane if you served it for a Labor Day feast. I've never seen corn pudding except in late November. And don't even get me started on Pumpkin Pie, which should be a year-round treat, but seems to go into hibernation other than Thanksgiving and maybe Christmas.

-Jason "and don't tell me that every holiday has its own unique food... we sure eat hot dogs and apple pie at times other than July 4th" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

My holiday favorite rev-up:

https://youtu.be/LUyqH-BE9lk

Always nice to get an outside perspective!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    So, everyone has a job for Thanksgiving. My task is dessert. I know it is a shock to hear that about me, but I am in charge of procuring the Thanksgiving pies.

I was doing a little research and came across this:

That is a piecaken. A cherry pie cooked inside of a chocolate cake. As I am sure you can imagine, my reaction was... well... Kramer sums it up best.

I have not yet convinced the rest of the extended family that the Earth will stop rotating if we fail to get a piecaken, but I hope to report back to all of you about it in a few weeks. Does anyone have any experience with this that I can tell folks about?

Also, what is it about Thanksgiving that makes us eat unusual food? If you tried to pull out a Turducken in May, folks would look at you like your head was screwed on backwards. Cranberry sauce/relish is mandatory on this holiday but would seem insane if you served it for a Labor Day feast. I've never seen corn pudding except in late November. And don't even get me started on Pumpkin Pie, which should be a year-round treat, but seems to go into hibernation other than Thanksgiving and maybe Christmas.

-Jason "and don't tell me that every holiday has its own unique food... we sure eat hot dogs and apple pie at times other than July 4th" Evans
    You got nuttin' on this one and it'll set you back $250.00 :

HT_pumpecapple_piecake_whole_jef_141113_4x3t_384.jpg
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    You got nuttin' on this one and it'll set you back $250.00 :
    Is that the co-pay for your consultation?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Also, what is it about Thanksgiving that makes us eat unusual food?
    Interesting. I've never done anything but a traditional menu for Thanksgiving, nor would I consider it. I'm not sure I've heard many tales from others doing something different either. I do cook the meal in a nontraditional way, usually. Last year I did the entire menu on the grills. The turkey was smoked on one, and everything baked in the other, including the desserts. Will probably go the same route this year. Keeps the kitchen uncluttered, and less hot. The kitchen tends to be a gathering room, which doesn't make for the best cooking scenario. More like "Get the hell outta my way, I am trying to cook stuffing here! Oh, and thanks so much for coming over, have some wine."

The PieCaken looks fun. I'd pick TNTDevil's brain on that, he is the best baker I know, especially with desserts.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Is that the co-pay for your consultation?
    Yes. Procedures are extra cost.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Interesting. I've never done anything but a traditional menu for Thanksgiving, nor would I consider it. I'm not sure I've heard many tales from others doing something different either. I do cook the meal in a nontraditional way, usually. Last year I did the entire menu on the grills. The turkey was smoked on one, and everything baked in the other, including the desserts. Will probably go the same route this year. Keeps the kitchen uncluttered, and less hot. The kitchen tends to be a gathering room, which doesn't make for the best cooking scenario. More like "Get the hell outta my way, I am trying to cook stuffing here! Oh, and thanks so much for coming over, have some wine."

The PieCaken looks fun. I'd pick TNTDevil's brain on that, he is the best baker I know, especially with desserts.
    Oooh, maybe a trial run for Thanksgiving this Saturday at tailgate.

You PROCURE the pies? Why not bake them? I will do the sweet potato, the cranberry apple, and the Angus Barn's chocolate chess pie. Possible another pie if I have time. My mom will do the pecan, cherry, and the coconut. Yes, we eat lots of pie (about 16 people will attend this year and take home leftover pie for breakfast the next morning).

As for weird stuff, as you noticed, I did not list pumpkin pie. I prefer sweet potato. We also do potato salad instead of mashed taters. We stick with the traditional dinner, lots of different vegetable dishes, but NO green beans of any form are allowed. Not worthy of Thanksgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    You PROCURE the pies? Why not bake them? I will do the sweet potato, the cranberry apple, and the Angus Barn's chocolate chess pie. Possible another pie if I have time. My mom will do the pecan, cherry, and the coconut. Yes, we eat lots of pie (about 16 people will attend this year and take home leftover pie for breakfast the next morning).

As for weird stuff, as you noticed, I did not list pumpkin pie. I prefer sweet potato. We also do potato salad instead of mashed taters. We stick with the traditional dinner, lots of different vegetable dishes, but NO green beans of any form are allowed. Not worthy of Thanksgiving.
    255px-Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union.svg.png

()

You PROCURE the pies? Why not bake them?
    I am widely known as a great home cook. Just ask my family while I cast a gimlet eye upon their strangely enthusiastic responses. I took some severe heat last year when I decided store bought could suffice since we were all at the beach.

That blunder will not be repeated. But, I'll be interested to hear how the piecacken turns out.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I am widely known as a great home cook. Just ask my family while I cast a gimlet eye upon their strangely enthusiastic responses. I took some severe heat last year when I decided store bought could suffice since we were all at the beach.

That blunder will not be repeated. But, I'll be interested to hear how the piecacken turns out.
    I LOVE turkey gimlets. Let me know when to come over.

You PROCURE the pies? Why not bake them?
    Sadly, I fly in on Wednesday and there is no oven space to make multiple pies on Thursday. Last year, when I had more time, I did a pumpkin pie and a Brown Apple Betty. I make a mean BAB.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

There has to be a way to get doughnuts involved in that piecaken somehow.

Angus Barn's chocolate chess pie. And after more than 20 years since I last went to Angus Barn, you made me salivate.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    There has to be a way to get doughnuts involved in that piecaken somehow.
    Somehow, folks at the NC State Fair may try that next year, but only if it can be deep-fried.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Angus Barn's chocolate chess pie. And after more than 20 years since I last went to Angus Barn, you made me salivate.
    I used to make it, and loved it. Maybe I should bust it back out this year?
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    One of the easiest pies to make.

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
    3 ounces Baker’s semisweet chocolate
    1 cup sugar
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    Dash of salt
    1 unbaked pie shell
    Whipped cream for topping, optional

PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter and chocolate in the top half of a double boiler. In a separate bowl, mix together sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt. Add melted chocolate mixture and mix until well-combined. Pour mixture into pie shell and bake until set, 30 to 35 minutes. Allow to cool and top with whipped cream, if desired.
    Yield: 8 servings.

You are welcome!

Melt butter and chocolate in the top half of a double boiler.
    I would hope that's an unnecessary detail in a recipe

My daughter, preparing her first thanksgiving dinner as a newlywed, took great care with her cooking. Everything was perfect ... except for the turkey. She forgot to turn the oven on.

It's not that the foods are odd but I always eat several Thanksgiving rolls that people seem to find odd.

I open up a roll a put down a thin layer of mashed potatoes with a bit of gravy. I then place a slice of turkey and a slice of ham down on the potatoes and top it's off with mac n cheese and another layer of potatoes. Close the roll up and eat.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking