Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Sweet potato pie IS better than pumpkin...

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    If you think pumpkin pie could be a year-round treat, you're probably making it with canned pumpkin.. Nooooo. Go to your local farm store and get one of the small pie pumpkins and find out how good real pumpkin pie is!

Before baking the turkey, loosen the skin on both breasts and slide that bacon under the skin.
    Just prepare extra pumpkin and freeze it for use later in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Agree.

I think this qualifies:

I was invited to Thanksgiving dinner by the family of a young lady I was dating (obviously a long time ago). I was eagerly anticipating a good home cooked feast. Wrong!!! We loaded into various cars, and headed to the Durham Holiday Inn* (now a Days Inn). It was not a five star restaurant. I never determined if this was an emergency backup due to a cooking crisis, or if this was their norm. They also invited me the following year, but I told them that I had committed to traveling to my parents for Thanksgiving.

* I’ve heard that Playboy Magazine once selected this Holiday Inn in the nations top 10 motels to get crabs. I don’t think they were talking seafood.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Wish I could find this in English

For the latest installment of Daughter #1’s Thanksgiving cooking expertise:

She remembered to turn the oven on this time. Unfortunately, she defrosted the turkey for one whole week. It was rancid and inedible. For dessert, however, she had a homemade pumpkin pie. Unfortunately, she prepared it a week in advance but failed to refrigerate it. Is pumpkin pie supposed to be green?

Luckily, Mrs. TruBlu and I are spending Thanksgiving with Daughter #2’s family a few states away, and she has better cooking skills.

For Christmas, we are going to be at Daughter #1’s family. We are already scouting that area for open Chinese restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post

She remembered to turn the oven on this time. Unfortunately, she defrosted the turkey for one whole week. It was rancid and inedible. For dessert, however, she had a homemade pumpkin pie. Unfortunately, she prepared it a week in advance but failed to refrigerate it. Is pumpkin pie supposed to be green?

Luckily, Mrs. TruBlu and I are spending Thanksgiving with Daughter #2’s family a few states away, and she has better cooking skills.

For Christmas, we are going to be at Daughter #1’s family. We are already scouting that area for open Chinese restaurants.
    Peking Duck is always a popular choice.

I have a sister-in-law who Does Not Cook. She decided to cook a turkey one Thanksgiving. Not wanting to deal with the difficulties of a whole turkey though, she bought a turkey roll that the deli used to slice turkey for sandwiches (“It’s cleaned, prepared, and already cooked, right?”) and warmed that up.

And being somewhat frugal, she didn’t spring for the, um, less-pressed roll.

Of the things I am thankful for this year, topping the list is that both Mrs.PK and I are both handy in the kitchen.

My daughters both did well cooking for thier first thanksgiving they cooked for.one did home made mac and cheese .the other green been casserole. We have a multicultural Thanksgiving.well every holiday for that matter. Lumpia and Pancit. Then some Mexican food I cant remember the name of.its good though .plus traditional turkey and stuffing.
    I believe my 15 year old has been eating every two hours.

I tried this and it was both easy and delicious. Thanks for putting it on my radar!

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    One of the easiest pies to make.

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
    3 ounces Baker’s semisweet chocolate
    1 cup sugar
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    Dash of salt
    1 unbaked pie shell
    Whipped cream for topping, optional

PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter and chocolate in the top half of a double boiler. In a separate bowl, mix together sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt. Add melted chocolate mixture and mix until well-combined. Pour mixture into pie shell and bake until set, 30 to 35 minutes. Allow to cool and top with whipped cream, if desired.
    Yield: 8 servings.

You are welcome!

Turkey and cheese sandwich on whole grain bread with barbecue potato (chips) and cranberry relish in a gas station parking lot in Wytheville, VA. Details to follow.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Turkey and cheese sandwich on whole grain bread with barbecue potato (chips) and cranberry relish in a gas station parking lot in Wytheville, VA. Details to follow.
    Gas stations have great sushi. They also sell Pepto Bismal.
    Last edited by TruBlu; 11-23-2018 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Autocorrect

Ouch. Maybe I now understand why young women in high school used to be funneled into Home Ec courses! Do schools still do that in the olde sexist fashion (boys got shop class instead, maybe I'm just dating myself. Actually I think all kids should be given some fundamental cooking courses since it's an essential life skill, one with major health ramifications, especially if you eat the rancid bird or green pie).

Yikes! I grew up watching my mother cook in the kitchen, as did my brothers. I was pretty much in charge of the potato salad since I was fifteen. Now that I am grown and Mom is older, I do the turkey (using a roasting bag - the EASIEST way to a delicious turkey) and several of the other things. Plenty pooped today from all the work, but it was worth it, as always.

Gas stations have great sushi. They also sell Pepto Bismal.
    My wife cooked about a 4 pound butterball turkey breast Wednesday evening and made her own cranberry sauce so the "main courses" were home-made. The whole grain bread and cheese for the sammiches were store bought as were the potato (chips). A sales rep brought us mini-bundt cupcakes on Wednesday so they were our dessert. We'll have some more turkey tomorrow (none today-we were traveling) and I might gently twist her arm to make some of her own dressing tomorrow or Sunday.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Crepes filled with turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce and a schmear of sweet potato casserole. Now I’m ready for the game!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Crepes filled with turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce and a schmear of sweet potato casserole. Now I’m ready for the game!
    No you're not...you really aren't ready for THIS game. Glad I had a fairly empty tummy...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    No you're not...you really aren't ready for THIS game. Glad I had a fairly empty tummy...
    It was as tasty coming up as it was going down.

Brutal.