Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    It's not that the foods are odd but I always eat several Thanksgiving rolls that people seem to find odd.

I open up a roll a put down a thin layer of mashed potatoes with a bit of gravy. I then place a slice of turkey and a slice of ham down on the potatoes and top it's off with mac n cheese and another layer of potatoes. Close the roll up and eat.
    After that, I think you are odd. 😂

It's not that the foods are odd but I always eat several Thanksgiving rolls that people seem to find odd.

I open up a roll a put down a thin layer of mashed potatoes with a bit of gravy. I then place a slice of turkey and a slice of ham down on the potatoes and top it's off with mac n cheese and another layer of potatoes. Close the roll up and eat.
    Deep fry it and you'll have a perfect State Fair booth!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    After that, I think you are odd. 😂
    Hey don't knock it till ya try it! My brother saw me making it one time and said that it was weird, so I gave him one and he loved it. Now he makes a couple Thanksgiving rolls to eat each year

I forgot to mention that stuffing is optional depending on how good it was made.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Wait, is that Thanksgiving food or NC State Fair food?

Damn, come to think of it, that needs to be dipped in batter and deep-fried and then served with a dipping sauce.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Wait, is that Thanksgiving food or NC State Fair food?

Damn, come to think of it, that needs to be dipped in batter and deep-fried and then served with a dipping sauce.
    Only if the dipping sauce is gravy.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Only if the dipping sauce is sausage gravy.
    Added embellishment and more calories. Hope you don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    My daughter, preparing her first thanksgiving dinner as a newlywed, took great care with her cooking. Everything was perfect ... except for the turkey. She forgot to turn the oven on.
    Doesn't seem like that big a deal. If you just delay your Thanksgiving meal by around 8 or 10 hours you should be fine. "Ok, it is 4am, everyone come on in for dinner!"
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Has anyone ever tried the mayonnaise turkey recipe? I've only ever heard amazing things about it and my sister in law tried it last year and loved it. Unfortunately I was with other family so I didn't get to try it.

Simple version is basically take whatever poultry seasoning or whatever you like and mix it up with plenty of mayonnaise and rub it all over the turkey before cooking.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    My daughter, preparing her first thanksgiving dinner as a newlywed, took great care with her cooking. Everything was perfect ... except for the turkey. She forgot to turn the oven on.
    On Thanksgiving 1973, we had been living in a newly constructed house for just a few months, and when my Mom turned the oven on to start dinner, nothing happened. Dad figured out that the problem was probably with the filament thingy that does the heating of the oven. And there's no possibility of buying one that day. So he somehow got into the house still under construction next door, pulled out the filament from its oven, installed it in our oven, and everything went on as planned.

Simple version is basically take whatever poultry seasoning or whatever you like and mix it up with plenty of mayonnaise and rub it all over the turkey before cooking.
    So, you are saying that by smothering my otherwise fairly bland food with a highly caloric and fatty substance I can make it taste better? I find this shocking as it runs counter to everything else I know about food.

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    So, you are saying that by smothering my otherwise fairly bland food with a highly caloric and fatty substance I can make it taste better? I find this shocking as it runs counter to everything else I know about food.
    I bet it would really rock if you laid strips of bacon on top after your mayonnaise bath coat.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I bet it would really rock if you laid strips of bacon on top after your mayonnaise bath coat.
    I *heartily* endorse this idea.

You could double down on the bacon by using bacon fat in home made mayonnaise.

Linky

...I open up a roll a put down a thin layer of mashed potatoes with a bit of gravy. I then place a slice of turkey and a slice of ham down on the potatoes and top it's off with mac n cheese and another layer of potatoes. Close the roll up and eat.
    That sounds more like TGiving dessert.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    That sounds more like TGiving dessert.
    I want just 1 person in here to try it and post back after Thanksgiving. Don't forget the optional stuffing, I only use it if the stuffing is well made.

Sounds delicious. My favorite part of Thanksgiving is similar, it's a left-over sandwich on well-buttered white toast"

Turkey
    Ham
    stuffing
    gravy
    cranberry sauce
    sometimes a nice cheese although usually not

Sounds delicious. My favorite part of Thanksgiving is similar, it's a left-over sandwich on well-buttered white toast"

Turkey
    Ham
    stuffing
    gravy
    cranberry sauce
    sometimes a nice cheese although usually not
    There we go! Granted I despise cranberry sauce but take it out for mashed potatoes and there we go!

In our house Friday brunch is always Kentucky Hot Browns.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Also, what is it about Thanksgiving that makes us eat unusual food? If you tried to pull out a Turducken in May, folks would look at you like your head was screwed on backwards. Cranberry sauce/relish is mandatory on this holiday but would seem insane if you served it for a Labor Day feast. I've never seen corn pudding except in late November. And don't even get me started on Pumpkin Pie, which should be a year-round treat, but seems to go into hibernation other than Thanksgiving and maybe Christmas.

-Jason "and don't tell me that every holiday has its own unique food... we sure eat hot dogs and apple pie at times other than July 4th" Evans
    If you think pumpkin pie could be a year-round treat, you're probably making it with canned pumpkin.. Nooooo. Go to your local farm store and get one of the small pie pumpkins and find out how good real pumpkin pie is!

Before baking the turkey, loosen the skin on both breasts and slide that bacon under the skin.

Or you could just deep fry the whole thing like I've been doing for 20 years now. I've got a tutorial on it I did for another BB forum if anyone wants me to post it here.