Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    My advice is to start drinking heavily.

Regardless of what you expect the outcome to be, i mean.
    If it will lessen the pain, count me in. And if we win, I’m more likely to keep my word to the kids by taking a shower fully dressed. So cheers in the hope I’m a soggy mess come Saturday night...

We are +3000 on the moneyline... that says it all.

Jim Sumner article on the front page:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...e-acc-football

Cutcliffe said Clemson was as good as any team he’s seen in his long career, citing their balance, effort, coaching and “weapons everywhere.”
    As always, Jim's article is well worth the read.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

Cut can just replay everything he said for our opener next year.

Aaron Young?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

Jim's article finishes with "Duke no longer lists Aaron Young on its depth chart. Draw your own conclusions."

Anyone care to explain? I am too dumb to draw any conclusions. It's been a mystery to me that he's been out all season with a hamstring strain.

I'll start the predictions parade:

82-50

no, wait,

118-84

I meant,

Blue and white (and black, maybe gray)-7

Orange and purple-63

Final answer. No pies.

I hope it's that close. I've still got a couple large format bottles of fine and obscure hand crafted ales to pair with OPK's large brisket. Just in case .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    We'll be at an in-law's wedding Saturday afternoon and reception Saturday night. I'll be tracking the score and will be available for beer consults that night and for almost any time during the next several weeks. Y'all know how to contact me.
    Be careful with the tippling while at the joyous festivities, Doc. Such occasions can be fraught with peril.

I'll start the predictions parade:

82-50

no, wait,

118-84

I meant,

Blue and white (and black, maybe gray)-7

Orange and purple-63

Final answer. No pies.

I hope it's that close. I've still got a couple large format bottles of fine and obscure hand crafted ales to pair with OPK's large brisket. Just in case .
    My briskets are large, real -- and spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    You mean like this?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL2PicT9Kng

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Be careful with the tippling while at the joyous festivities, Doc. Such occasions can be fraught with peril.
    On call for the weekend so ginger will be the only ale I'll be tippling.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I'll bet your loins are pretty tender, too. Beef or pork, of course.

The Wake Forest tailgate would be a good one to show them off, should we shock the world in this one.

ESPN says Clemson by 85....over Duke

Well, tongue in cheek...but this was brutal about Duke (in a Clemson assessment for the playoffs)

FTA

"The ESPN Playoff Predictor gives the Tigers a 95 percent chance to make the CFP, the highest figure nationally. And why not? Duke and South Carolina don't look to pose a big threat. Pitt, despite its reputation as a giant killer, did well just to qualify for the ACC title game. Imagine, though, the argument for UCF if Pitt beats Clemson after losing to the Knights by 31 in September. Almost more realistic is Clemson beating Duke this week by 85 to break the ACC record for point differential in one season of conference play."

The vodka is in the freezer....

I'll bet your loins are pretty tender, too. Beef or pork, of course.

The Wake Forest tailgate would be a good one to show them off, should we shock the world in this one.
    May have to wait for the pre-bowl tailgate. DaughterPK will be home for Thanksgiving so I'm planting myself in front of a TV with a belly full of turkey.

As an aside, two pieces on ESPN+ (formerly ESPN insider) on next year's draft. One has Daniel Jones as a prospect on the rise this week. Kiper called DJ, after his UNC performance, currently his number 2 QB prospect behind Justin Herbert. The second has DJ as Kiper's #18 prospect in his Top 25 Big Board.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/in...-top-25-grades

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/in...jr-todd-mcshay

Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    Jim's article finishes with "Duke no longer lists Aaron Young on its depth chart. Draw your own conclusions."

Anyone care to explain? I am too dumb to draw any conclusions. It's been a mystery to me that he's been out all season with a hamstring strain.
    Hamstring strains can seriously linger (so can a lot of soft tissue injuries, but hammies seem especially bad). Dalvin Cook has essentially missed the entire NFL season with a bad hammy. Crowder has had similar problems with his. Easy to re-aggravate, and hard to know just how healthy it is until you test it (which of course risks re-aggravation).

Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post

Young hurt his hamstring very early on in the season (week 2 or 3), however, Duke continued to list him as the #1 WR on the pre-game depth charts each week even though he hasn't played since his injury. His continued listing on the depth chart had many fans constantly wondering when he was going to return from injury. His removal from the depth chart likely indicates that the coaches no longer anticipate him returning from his injury. It also could be a reward by the coaching staff to the WRs who have been practicing and playing in the games.

Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    Young hurt his hamstring very early on in the season (week 2 or 3), however, Duke continued to list him as the #1 WR on the pre-game depth charts each week even though he hasn't played since his injury. His continued listing on the depth chart had many fans constantly wondering when he was going to return from injury. His removal from the depth chart likely indicates that the coaches no longer anticipate him returning from his injury. It also could be a reward by the coaching staff to the WRs who have been practicing and playing in the games.
    As long as it does not mean that he is withdrawing from the team or some such.

Rest up, heal and rehab. It's all you can do.

Death Valley

I'll be at the game Saturday night. Daughter is a Clemson frosh who's bored with the football program because there are no suspenseful games. I'm going to wear my Duke gear (even though not sitting with the other Duke fans) and will hope to be harassed by the home crowd because the only way that will happen is if we pose some sort of threat to them.

Duke football: our next four games include the #2 and #1 nationally ranked teams! Go get 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    As I know you know, as a longtime follower of Duke football, our depth chart does not really represent a whole lot...it basically (and not to be snide) represents the depth chart IF the guys
    on it were healthy, which often they are not...which is why guys keep appearing as ones or twos on the chart and yet they continually don't play...hello AAron Young, Brittain Brown, quite a few others.
    I just don't pay attention to it any more...Cut wants to keep his injury info to himself, that's the way it's going to be, so don't expect much in the way of real info.

Young is not likely to play this week. He had a great opener against Army but has only played once since then.

Duke is going to pursue a sixth-year for Edgar Cerenord, who was a healthy redshirt as a freshman but played only four games this season before going down with an injury.

Cerenord would not have had much of a case a few years ago. But the new warm-and-fuzzy NCAA has been more player-friendly in recent years, so who knows?

Young is a redshirt junior, a healthy redshirt as a freshman. Down the road, he and Duke might want to pursue a sixth year. But not likely if he plays again this season.

Lots of moving parts and too soon to know how this will play out. But Aaron Young would certainly help Duke more as a sixth-year senior in 2020 then in the final three games of 2018.

And yes, hamstring injuries can and do linger. Anthony Nash lost entire seasons to that problem.

As an aside, I'll take Duke and 85 points.