Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymf7 View Post
    Does Anyone Have the Syracuse Recipe?

Can anyone explain how Syracuse kept their games with Clemson so close the last two years? I didn't see the games but know they won last year and were ahead very late this year (aided by a QB injury). Is Syracuse's style/talent dramatically different than ours? I get that Clemson has likely improved and developed counters to that approach, but it could be nice to have some kind of roadmap to keeping it close.
    Not sure what their recipe is, though I assume it involves oranges.

Syracuse has three distinctions that work in their favor:

1. They play a zone. In every sport. (They are really bad at golf.)

2. Like Clemson, their coach has a silly name. Dino vs. Dabo!

3. A single picture was hung in the visiting locker room when Syracuse hosted Clemson in 2017, and it haunts Clemson to this day. "I still get horrible flashbacks of my father's choice of wardrobe," said Swinney.

burnthisjacket.jpg

"Duke ends Rebels' run in 79-77 upset UNLV's 45-win streak is halted in semifinal"
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    "Duke ends Rebels' run in 79-77 upset UNLV's 45-win streak is halted in semifinal"
    That was an upset, but it wasn't an earth shattering defeat. If Duke beats Clemson on Saturday, people in China are gonna be wondering what that rumbling is they hear as the ground wiggles beneath their feet.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That was an upset, but it wasn't an earth shattering defeat. If Duke beats Clemson on Saturday, people in China are gonna be wondering what that rumbling is they hear as the ground wiggles beneath their feet.
    Vegas was undefeated, and poised to be repeat champs. They humiliated us in the worst championship game beat-down the prior year.

Beating Clemson would be Earth-shattering. But I think beating Vegas was an even bigger upset.

I wonder how big the betting spread was in ‘91.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Vegas was undefeated, and poised to be repeat champs. They humiliated us in the worst championship game beat-down the prior year.

Beating Clemson would be Earth-shattering. But I think beating Vegas was an even bigger upset.

I wonder how big the betting spread was in ‘91.
    We were the #2 ranked team in 1991. We had a respectable chance of pulling the upset.
    Duke FB ain't even in the top 25. Just a thought.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

We were the #2 ranked team in 1991. We had a respectable chance of pulling the upset.
    Not disagreeing. But I remember the headline article:

“Bring on the Champions, send in the Clowns.”

But tell you what — let’s win Saturday, then settle this over a battle of smoked meat and Ymm, beer. Name your meat and beer style.

The Usual Suspects will judge the results.

But tell you what — let’s win Saturday, then settle this over a battle of smoked meat and Ymm, beer. Name your meat and beer style.

Sounds like a tasty plan!
    One last thought. The bball game was two teams who had earned their way to be there, fighting to play in the national championship game.
    Duke - Clemson is two teams playing a scheduled game, and only one team fighting to play in the national championship game.
    If Clemson loses, they ain't gonna be in it, no way, no how. And they will be well aware of that on Saturday night.

...AND throw this in....BB is a sport much more prone to upsets than FB...

We'll be at an in-law's wedding Saturday afternoon and reception Saturday night. I'll be tracking the score and will be available for beer consults that night and for almost any time during the next several weeks. Y'all know how to contact me.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Sounds like a tasty plan!
    One last thought. The bball game was two teams who had earned their way to be there, fighting to play in the national championship game.
    Duke - Clemson is two teams playing a scheduled game, and only one team fighting to play in the national championship game.
    If Clemson loses, they ain't gonna be in it, no way, no how. And they will be well aware of that on Saturday night.
    Again, don’t disagree. Really just looking to lose this bet, then have you try my brisket while dd plies us with obscure craft beers.

Win-win-win.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    In 1991, we were a number two seed, ranked sixth going into the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    In 1991, we were a number two seed, ranked sixth going into the tournament.
    In the grand scheme of things, same dif.

... If Clemson loses, they ain't gonna be in it, no way, no how. And they will be well aware of that on Saturday night.
    2014: Oregon, one of top 4, lost to final #22 SRS Arizona and still made the playoff

2015: Mich St, one of top 4, lost to final #40 SRS Nebraska and still made the playoff
    2015: Oklahoma, one of top 4, lost to final #69 SRS Texas and still made the playoff

2016: Clemson, one of the top 4, lost to final #31 SRS Pitt and still made the playoff

2017: Clemson, one of the top 4, lost to final #60 SRS Syracuse and still made the playoff

Right now, Duke is #37 SRS and would rise w/ a Clemson win ... we're right now better than the Nebraska, Texas, and Syracuse squads that beat teams that made the playoffs

Again, don’t disagree. Really just looking to lose this bet, then have you try my brisket while dd plies us with obscure craft beers.

Win-win-win.
    Several nominees already in my "cellar."

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    2014: Oregon, one of top 4, lost to final #22 SRS Arizona and still made the playoff

2015: Mich St, one of top 4, lost to final #40 SRS Nebraska and still made the playoff
    2015: Oklahoma, one of top 4, lost to final #69 SRS Texas and still made the playoff

2016: Clemson, one of the top 4, lost to final #31 SRS Pitt and still made the playoff

2017: Clemson, one of the top 4, lost to final #60 SRS Syracuse and still made the playoff

Right now, Duke is #37 SRS and would rise w/ a Clemson win ... we're right now better than the Nebraska, Texas, and Syracuse squads that beat teams that made the playoffs
    If Clemson plays us with a "Well, we can lose this game and be ok" attitude, power to 'em. I'd welcome the nonchalance, but I don't expect it. "Losing to Duke" still carries lots of weight, even though it is baseless at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymf7 View Post
    Can anyone explain how Syracuse kept their games with Clemson so close the last two years? I didn't see the games but know they won last year and were ahead very late this year (aided by a QB injury). Is Syracuse's style/talent dramatically different than ours? I get that Clemson has likely improved and developed counters to that approach, but it could be nice to have some kind of roadmap to keeping it close.
    Last year Syracuse surprised Clemson a bit. Their QB had a fantastic game. They played very up tempo which kept Clemson in their base defense (not enough time to call for various blitz packages, etc). Syracuse played a great game.

This year Syracuse again played a great game and a very fast tempo but the key to their success was QB1 getting hurt early in game the same week in which QB2 quit on the team to transfer (He's either the 3rd for 4th QB to transfer since Trevor Lawrence announced he was coming to play for Clemson). The new QB2, redshirt freshman Chase Bryce, had very little experience and it showed but he still managed to lead the team to victory over the plucky Orangemen.

Bad news for Duke is that even if QB1 gets hurt, the new QB2 has gotten lots of playing time post-Syracuse because QB1 isn't needed in the fourth quarter of most games. If one and done was allowed in football Trevor Lawrence would be the first overall pick in the NFL draft. That kid can sling it. NCSU sold out to stop the run and hoped that a true freshman QB wouldn't beat them. NCSU got blown out. If you don't sell out to stop the run ETN will run all over you. If you do sell out to stop the run Trevor will throw it all over the place. That's just the offense, the strength of the team is the D-Line. They stuff the run and get after the QB all game long.

Sorry guys, this game isn't going to be close.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? I’d like to think that in some kind of alternate universe, fans around the country become outraged when, despite our huge lead, we leave the starters in for the fourth quarter. Why, you may ask? Because due to injuries these are our second and third stringers, and we’ve got nobody else left on the bench!

OK, back to reality...
    Last edited by martydoesntfoul; 11-14-2018 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Last year Syracuse surprised Clemson a bit. Their QB had a fantastic game. They played very up tempo which kept Clemson in their base defense (not enough time to call for various blitz packages, etc). Syracuse played a great game.

This year Syracuse again played a great game and a very fast tempo but the key to their success was QB1 getting hurt early in game the same week in which QB2 quit on the team to transfer (He's either the 3rd for 4th QB to transfer since Trevor Lawrence announced he was coming to play for Clemson). The new QB2, redshirt freshman Chase Bryce, had very little experience and it showed but he still managed to lead the team to victory over the plucky Orangemen.

Bad news for Duke is that even if QB1 gets hurt, the new QB2 has gotten lots of playing time post-Syracuse because QB1 isn't needed in the fourth quarter of most games. If one and done was allowed in football Trevor Lawrence would be the first overall pick in the NFL draft. That kid can sling it. NCSU sold out to stop the run and hoped that a true freshman QB wouldn't beat them. NCSU got blown out. If you don't sell out to stop the run ETN will run all over you. If you do sell out to stop the run Trevor will throw it all over the place. That's just the offense, the strength of the team is the D-Line. They stuff the run and get after the QB all game long.

Sorry guys, this game isn't going to be close.
    Pretty much this all day, and Elvis got my sporks for it. I want us to win, I want us to "shock the world". IF we didn't have the injuries that we do, and IF they weren't weighted towards the D side that they are, I might even have an inkling of hope. Hell, I'm an optimist! But not for this Saturday.
    We are too depleted of starters, and too many gone from the wrong side of the ball. I expect us to score points, but even if we hold to the 27.5 line or whatever it is, that means that the game is going to be 77-49.
    I expect the 77. Not so much the 49. Clemson is going to be Pitt times two.
    Still watching though!

Pretty much this all day, and Elvis got my sporks for it. I want us to win, I want us to "shock the world". IF we didn't have the injuries that we do, and IF they weren't weighted towards the D side that they are, I might even have an inkling of hope. Hell, I'm an optimist! But not for this Saturday.
    We are too depleted of starters, and too many gone from the wrong side of the ball. I expect us to score points, but even if we hold to the 27.5 line or whatever it is, that means that the game is going to be 77-49.
    I expect the 77. Not so much the 49. Clemson is going to be Pitt times two.
    Still watching though!
    i have a good feeling we pull this off...clemson hasn't really been challenged this year and seems very cocky. IMO they are the weakest of the top 4 teams as the ACC (outside of Duke) has been abysmal in football this year. Its definitely going to be a shootout and we have the better QB (Projected as top 3 QB for NFL next year!).

Quote Originally Posted by martydoesntfoul View Post
    Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
    My advice is to start drinking heavily.

Regardless of what you expect the outcome to be, i mean.
    April 1