Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    I heard at lunch today that there were 9 dropped passes...for Clemson. I haven't verified that in anyway but I know one was a sure fire TD throw right in the hands/bread basket of #10. Maybe it's contagious!

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I heard at lunch today that there were 9 dropped passes...for Clemson. I haven't verified that in anyway but I know one was a sure fire TD throw right in the hands/bread basket of #10. Maybe it's contagious!
    Yea, but, but, but, how many Clemson receivers have used their helmet as protection so they wouldn't have to catch a pass?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Rahming was an outstanding prep punt returner and I've been both surprised and disappointed that he hasn't been able to transfer that to the college level.

But we shouldn't discount the possibility that Duke's blocking on punt returns simply hasn't been very good.
    I would be very interested to know what instructions Rahming was given WRT punt returns. He was the team's leading receiver on an injury-plagued team. Could it be that he was told that discretion was the better part...? After all, with Jones at QB, the offense was supposed to be dynamic and reliable. I understand that he didn't have Crowder-like skills, but still, you don't want your leading receiver taking risky open field hard tackles.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Yea, but, but, but, how many Clemson receivers have used their helmet as protection so they wouldn't have to catch a pass?

I don't think you understand the technique attempted there. The idea is to get the ball wedge itself into your face mask in the larger space near the eyes. Because the only thing cooler than a one handed catch is a zero handed catch. Plus it leaves both hands free to ward off defenders!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    I would be very interested to know what instructions Rahming was given WRT punt returns. He was the team's leading receiver on an injury-plagued team. Could it be that he was told that discretion was the better part...? After all, with Jones at QB, the offense was supposed to be dynamic and reliable. I understand that he didn't have Crowder-like skills, but still, you don't want your leading receiver taking risky open field hard tackles.
    I'm pretty sure Duke hasn't instructed Rahming to dial it back on punt returns. If that were the case, Duke would have given Bobo, Hudzick, Fuller, someone else, more opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I'm pretty sure Duke hasn't instructed Rahming to dial it back on punt returns. If that were the case, Duke would have given Bobo, Hudzick, Fuller, someone else, more opportunities.
    Yup.

Unlike last year, most of Rahming's fair catches to my eye have been sort of necessary. He does not have the quick side shift to make the first guy miss, and it seems that the kicking team is usually well-positioned when he catches it. He needs room to make that first juke, and our blockers do not seem able to give him that for one reason or another.

That's to my very untrained eye, at least.

Last year was abysmal. This year has been serviceable but far from impressive. But if there was a better candidate, I suspect we would have seen it in droves by now.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I don't think you understand the technique attempted there. The idea is to get the ball wedge itself into your face mask in the larger space near the eyes. Because the only thing cooler than a one handed catch is a zero handed catch. Plus it leaves both hands free to ward off defenders!
    Only with the NE Patriots could you expect a deflating stunt like that.

Or maybe with one of these:

Feederfootballs.jpg
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

A little late but a few post game thoughts. First, sounds weird, but was pretty proud of the effort in a 35-6 loss. Naturally, we played well in the first half, kept it close, but really, in the end, talent won out. They just wore us down, made some adjustments, and did what they were supposed to do. With that, still plenty to be encouraged by. For example, I actually thought the offensive line held up better than I thought. Admittedly, the bar was set low, and DJ took a ton of hits. But Clemson has the best defensive line in college football, and I expected a jail break each snap. We were able to move the ball much of the first half. I think our offensive line just got worn out.

I thought Britain Brown, though only playing sparingly, played as well as he did in the Army opener. He ran strong and explosive.

Many on these boards talk about Bobo, but I thought Philyaw-Johnson made two tough catches. I was very surprised by the catches he made in traffic. I was very encouraged by his play. I hope he is okay and we get to see some more of him this season.

While we have have been decimated by injuries on defense, I thought the reserves played very well. Of course, we were helped by many Clemson drops, but I thought we attacked their running game, tackled very well for the most part, and covered okay. You are never going to completely shut down that team, but those guys stepped up and played as well as I could have hoped.

I was also happy to see the team step up, show up, not be intimidated, and play well. They came out of the locker room playing to win. I think the coaches also prepared the guys well and for the most part called a good game. We’ll always argue about stuff and complain as fans, but I thought we had pretty good game plans. We just played a better team that took over in the second half.

Great effort overall. It was fun playing Clemson on a Saturday night in Death Valley. Now time to take care of business against Wake. Don’t follow up the Clemson game with a letdown against the Deacs. Let’s finish the regular season strong, get to 8-4, and work our way to a nice bowl match-up.
    Last edited by Avvocato; 11-21-2018 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Correct spelling of Philyaw-Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Avvocato View Post
    A little late but a few post game thoughts. First, sounds weird, but was pretty proud of the effort in a 35-6 loss. Naturally, we played well in the first half, kept it close, but really, in the end, talent won out. They just wore us down, made some adjustments, and did what they were supposed to do. With that, still plenty to be encouraged by. For example, I actually thought the offensive line held up better than I thought. Admittedly, the bar was set low, and DJ took a ton of hits. But Clemson has the best defensive line in college football, and I expected a jail break each snap. We were able to move the ball much of the first half. I think our offensive line just got worn out.

I thought Britain Brown, though only playing sparingly, played as well as he did in the Army opener. He ran strong and explosive.

Many on these boards talk about Bobo, but I thought Philyaw-Johnson made two tough catches. I was very surprised by the catches he made in traffic. I was very encouraged by his play. I hope he is okay and we get to see some more of him this season.

While we have have been decimated by injuries on defense, I thought the reserves played very well. Of course, we were helped by many Clemson drops, but I thought we attacked their running game, tackled very well for the most part, and covered okay. You are never going to completely shut down that team, but those guys stepped up and played as well as I could have hoped.

I was also happy to see the team step up, show up, not be intimidated, and play well. They came out of the locker room playing to win. I think the coaches also prepared the guys well and for the most part called a good game. We’ll always argue about stuff and complain as fans, but I thought we had pretty good game plans. We just played a better team that took over in the second half.

Great effort overall. It was fun playing Clemson on a Saturday night in Death Valley. Now time to take care of business against Wake. Don’t follow up the Clemson game with a letdown against the Deacs. Let’s finish the regular season strong, get to 8-4, and work our way to a nice bowl match-up.
    Forgot to mention that I thought Lummie Young was all over the field and made many tough hits. I liked what I saw from him.