Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    I always enjoyed his articles and posts as Olympic Fan. I have learned a lot about Duke sports, history and Duke sports history from him. I have missed his posts and will definitely miss his articles this basketball season. All the best to his family and those who knew him.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I checked with the powers that be and they say it is ok at this point to reveal to folks that the poster known as Olympic Fan was Al Featherston. I know some posters were aware of this but I wanted the rest of you to know.

Al loved being a part of this community and I know from my conversations with him that he cherished the back and forth and spirited, but honorable, debate that happened here.

All Blue Devil fans have lost a friend today. Godspeed, Al...
    thanks a ton for sharing that, Jason. this was going to be sad either way, but this makes it more personal. i feel like i lost two people

edit: that was a sincere thanks, not a sarcastic one, btw

well, crap... health is fleeting...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Al's death is a real loss to our duke and DBR communities.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Others in this thread have mentioned it, but I just wanted to link to JD's wonderful tribute on the front page. I don't often visit it, but this is worth the trip.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...basketball-dbr
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Always enjoyed reading his articles and posts. Insightful, thoughtful, and well written. He will be missed.

Very sad to hear this. I'll miss reading Al and Olympic Fan. (I also did not know they were the same person). He was and will always be known as one of DBR's all-time greatest-ever contributors. I'll forever be an Oly Fan. And forever, Go Duke!

Al was a fraternity brother, although I graduated the year before he pledged. I came back for his rush, then spent a week the following year following basic training hanging around the house and the brothers. Had occasional run-ins with Al, especially after I returned to North Carolina in recent years. Attended a book signing when he graced me with a particularly gracious inscription. We had long intended to get together so that I could buy him a meal and he could inscribe the rest of his books, each of which I owned. He surprised me by saying that "Saving the Breakout" about the North Carolina National Guard at Mortain, France after D-Day was his most remunerative opus, one from which he continued (at the time) to receive royalties. The lesson learned is to not proscratinate--life gets shorter by the day at my advancing ages. RIP Al. You will be missed

Al Featherstone’s front page articles were a must read. But his contributions as Olympic Fan may leave a more lasting mark in my mind.

I am going to miss him.

A terrible loss... man do I feel empty. Didn’t know Al personally and wasn’t aware he was Olympic Fan. A truly gifted and thorough researcher and writer, he represented the best of a bygone era. This community may be virtual, but the pain of his passing is very real.

RIP Al. You found your passion and dedicated your life to it. And we all benefited tremendously. So sorry you were suffering during your last days but glad to read you were at peace right up to the end. Already you’re missed. Will be thinking of you tomorrow night...

Sigh.😪 It was a big downer for me when we lost Bill Brill. Now, with the loss of Al, it's as if the heart of Duke basketball commentary has been ripped out. R.I.P.

ricks

Olympic Fan was on a very short list of DBR posters whose posts I would always make time to read, no matter the thread topic, on a site where superb writers abound. He was often the authority that righted the course of a conversation that had wandered a bit in the hands of posters with faulty recall, spinning out stories embellished, as memories often are, by the passage of time. The conversation benefited from his exactitude, punctilious course corrections leading us back to reality and sanity.

But if he was first and foremost the board's historian, he was equal measures its spirit guide. His final, passion-filled post left no question of what he hoped DBR would continue to be, and would aspire to be. I secretly applauded him for his stand and hoped he would return again. But sometimes things don't work out the way they should.

RIP OF.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Olympic Fan was on a very short list of DBR posters whose posts I would always make time to read, no matter the thread topic, on a site where superb writers abound. He was often the authority that righted the course of a conversation that had wandered a bit in the hands of posters with faulty recall, spinning out stories embellished, as memories often are, by the passage of time. The conversation benefited from his exactitude, punctilious course corrections leading us back to reality and sanity.

But if he was first and foremost the board's historian, he was equal measures its spirit guide. His final, passion-filled post left no question of what he hoped DBR would continue to be, and would aspire to be. I secretly applauded him for his stand and hoped he would return again. But sometimes things don't work out the way they should.

RIP OF.
    Agree, Olympic Fan was easily my favorite poster and knowing that his opinions were based on long term relationship with Duke, made his posts a must read.

One of my lasting memories of DBR is unintentionally starting a raucous debate with Oly over the merits or demerits of the Woodrow Wilson Administration. It was really funny how quickly it spun out of control, leading to the temporary locking of a thread.

A brilliant writer, an informed voice, and a perspective that demanded your attention.

You have been missed, and sad to hear the news. Rest well, fellow traveler.

RIP Al/Olympic Fan

Popping in after a long absence to join all of you in paying my respects to Al Featherston. I, too, didn’t realize that he was Olympic Fan. It sure explains a lot! May he Rest In Peace.

I've known Al since 1969, and I believe Jim's nice piece on him captures his essence extremely accurately...good job, Jim...

We lost a great one. RIP AL/OF

I too didn't know Al and OF were one and the same, but it makes sense now. Great writing and great knowledge of all things Duke. We lost a great one. Prayers for the family.

GoDuke!

DBR's Sergeant York

I read (and enjoyed) Al's articles in the Durham Sun while in Durham, and later on this website when he first started to contribute.
    It was the first thing I would go to in the morning, to find out what was going on with the program (until the Chronicle came out of course later that day - no internet yet).

There is no running list of names/aliases, other than those of us who reveal our identities and share word of mouth.
    I didn't know Al was Olympic Fan, but with many knowledgeable people out there it would have only spiced the conversation up a little.

In the horse world, when a President passes, an all black riderless horse, named for the WWII Medal of Honor winner Sergeant York is walked behind the Caisson, with boots reversed in the stirrups to honor the fallen leader. This thread is a great homage, DBR's Sergeant York salute to one of its fallen.

RIP.

Larry
    DevilHorse

I fondly remember the conversations I had with Al on the chances I was randomly standing behind him in section 17. Of course I don't think either of us knew who the other was at the time, and I'm glad to know I've had many more great conversations with him here to fondly remember.
    April 1